Palm Beach Maritime Academy

Charter | K-10 | 735 students

We are best known for maritime activities, academics.

Posted December 6, 2012

I am so disappointed that my husband and I made the decision to send our son to this school. While the building is new, the administration's failure to keep my child safe is appalling. On two occasions he was physically hurt by a peer, told a staff member ( including the nurse) and I was not contacted by anyone. There is no supervision during lunch, the children do not have recess and there are way more than the average number of students in a classroom. The principal is harsh and minimizes major concerns of parents. The aftercare staff is a joke, especially the "director" Natasha. She is rude and does not contribute anything to enrich the students' educational experience. The saving grace has been his teacher Mrs Barry who has been patient, kind and has been the only person to effectively communicate with me. She deserves to work for a much better school!!!! Overall I regret having my son attend this school and he will not return next year. In fact I plan on contacting the district, the media and whoever else it takes to shed light in this horrendous school.

Posted October 18, 2012

My daughter just started 6th grade at PBMA and she just loves it there ! I just love all her teachers and I also love the fact that you can check your child`s grades , homework ect. on their online Jupiter Grades it`s awesome . We are very happy !! By the way she`s straight A`s :)

Posted October 18, 2012

I do not understand where all this positive rating is coming from. I have never experienced a more disorganized, old and filthy school in my life. There is no creativity in this school. White walls, no pictures or posters. Tiny classroom, dark and cramped. Cafeteria has a section closed off for use as a classroom because they do not have enough space. Teachers are on carts because they dont have their own classroom. Spanish and Music only half hour per week. New move, new building but no improvement. After 13 years they do not have a PTA. The Principal does not go out of her way to keep school open after school hours for parents to volunteer their time for fundraising opportunities for her school. Totally unprofessional manner and behaviour. My daughter started this year she is a straight A student and also I feel terrible doing this to her after school started already, I am pulling her out of Maritime Academy and putting her in one where she will have extra curriculum and sport options. An environment which will stimulate her in a positive way. A school every kid deserves. I can not believe this school is even open. Please do not send your kid to this school!!!

Posted February 28, 2012

I am very greatful my son Isaac has a teacher like Mrs.Rice,And to my Daughter Gennesse, Goodluck to you and the rest of the students,on the FCAT wrighting test today. GO MARITIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted October 12, 2010

The Teachers are caring & the school has a versatile, Close knit Student base & curriculum. Always engaging new topics & learning Advances to improve the Student interests.

Posted April 19, 2010

I have two children attending PBMA and a third that will start Kindergarten this year. I think this is an exceptional school and the staff makes a point to know every child attending even if they don't have them in class. My eighth grader did struggle through elementary school at a different school but has excelled at PBMA during his middle school years. I highly recommend this school, especially if you want to partner with the school to get your child the best education possible.

Posted April 16, 2010

Palm Beach Maritime Academy is an 'A' rated school dedicated to every student they serve. The faculty and staff have accepted the challenge to use available knowledge and foresight to meet the objective of educating the future generation of citizens who will apply their maritime education in their roles as stewards of the environment. Their goal is clear--to provide every student, regardless of socio-economic background, with an education that prepares them for the finest high schools, colleges and universities bolstered by a keen understanding of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. The innovative maritime curriculum ensures that fundamental environmental awareness is based on scientific inquiry, valid information, and siginficant knowledge of both recent discoveries and the work of early scientists. Students paricipate in many hands-on learning activities in the natual 'classroom' that is uniquely available in the coastal region of Palm Beach County. We love Palm Beach Maritime Academy!

Posted April 15, 2010

My son has excelled at the school and loves it there. he enjoys going to school every day.

Posted March 31, 2009

I am a parent of two students that have been raised with the PBMA family. Currently my daughter just started Middle School this year and my son graduated into High School. I love the warm environment that my family has experienced. Every teacher and admin member not only personally knows both of my children but take an interest in their wants and needs. The tutoring that the teachers offer after school has been a comfort in preparing my children for FCAT test and such. My son was more than prepared for high school and excels in his new school because of the strong base he was given in the early years. I was thrilled when I did not have to worry about finding a quality middle school for my children. They did not have to go through that rough transition but instead could continue their education with the teachers and students.

Posted May 21, 2008

My child has been attending this school for 3 years. It is a terrible school! The staff is rude to the parents and students. The principle is a women on a power trip and her staff takes her attitude as well. They all act like they hate their jobs and punish everyone around them. The PBMA website states they teach with an emphasis on maritime studies. They do not, unless you consider boating them to Peanut a few times maritime studies. Most of the students that attend here have behavior problems and disrupt the classes. I am amazed by the work my child sends home. I don't even think the teaches look at them. My child has been given high marks on papers that were completely wrong. There is sports or electives like other schools. When reading the reviews please note that all the good ones are from years ago.

Posted October 25, 2007

Responding to the parent who is upset about 'drama'...As a parent of both a boy and a girl attending PBMA for many years, I have never had this problem or anything like it. I have found through raising teenagers that you sometimes have to let children solve their own problems. I have never found that the school attracts the type of students you say. That is an unfair statement and reflects negatively on my children as well as all the other students there. The students at PBMA have won awards for their academics and for outside activities and are of better character than you'll find at any other middle school. I have always recommended this school to others and will continue with confidence.

Posted October 23, 2007

My two children moved into PBMA from a very large and consistently 'A-rated' school in Board County. I felt moving them into a smaller environment would make things easier for them as far as making friends and the learning process. I was wrong. It seems as though children who cannot deal well in the regular public schools often migrate to this one. The school seems to have a pension for the 'dramatic' when it comes to behavior of the students. I do think that most of the teachers are exceptional and are very committed to their students. However, the children that make learning difficult for others and hold back advanced curriculum from being taught can be found in abundance in the classes of these teachers who I believe want to make a difference. My kids were often derailed from the learning process by kids who simply can't do the work.

Posted January 24, 2007

My children have been attending Palm Beach Maritime Academy for the past two years. Their first year went extremely well. They both had amazing teachers who went above and beyond to bring them up to grade level. This year one of my children has ended up with a teacher who has very little tolerance for children with ADHD. The principal apparently doesn't have the time to deal with these type of issues. I also have issues concerning safety of my children at school and on the bus.

Posted June 17, 2006

PBMA is a very good alternative to regular district schools. I am pleased with all of the faculty and staff that do a great job with all of the kids. There are some parents that do not realize how lucky we are to have the opportunity to choose a school such as this one. I would like to see more parent involvement next school year. I surprise to hear the school mentioned on the radio. The FCAT scores had gone from C to A. This gives you an idea of how hard the teachers have worked to make our children successful with all of the testing. I love this school!

Posted December 9, 2005

My kids have attended PBMA since they were in kindegarten and I have been nothing but pleased with everything about that school, from staff to curiculum....positivly great.

Posted November 23, 2005

I would like to give my thanks to the wonderful staff at this school for the help they have given my children. Anytime my kids have a problem the staff are always ready to help. My oldest son had problems with homework, I talked to the teachers about it, and they told me how I could help him to do the work. As a result his grades are improving. Again, thanks for being such a great school!

Posted May 30, 2005

My neighbor's daughter attends this school and finds it to be top-notch. Her daughter has learned a lot about Marine Studies as well as the basic Academic studies in elemenatry school. A true difference among the plain things.

Posted May 27, 2005

PBMA has been a secure safe place for my two children to grow up. I love the personal attention that the teacher show my children as well as the idea that the same children follow each other up through middle school. My children have bonded with a great group of friends and have succedded in everything they have tried as a result of a great set of teachers preparing them and helping them build the self esteem needed.

Posted April 14, 2005

I have two children attending this school. I have been impressed with the quality of education my children have received. My son started this school in 6th grade, and he is in his last year. He left elementary making A/B and he has become a straigt A student. This school has qualified and caring teachers and I believe the small class size makes a huge difference. My son has been excepted into two private schools, and IB magnet program. The problem has been choosing from one of the three. My daughter has been at this school for three years. Again, she has excelled and is straight A student. Also, I think is important to know that I have had peace of mind because my kids have been safe at this school. They have strict rules and they don't tolerate any kind of violence. I highly recommend this school.

Posted February 25, 2005

I like this school for my child because of its small class size. An the individual attention the teachers have to spend with the students because they don't allow over 25 to a class. So your child is not a number like in public school. The teachers really care about the progress of the students and keep you well informed. The acedemics are no different than going to Public school they have to follow the same guidelines. But they do offer a reading class that will help your child with the FCAT. My child has attended this school for 3 years. I reccommend it to any parent that is looking for the smaller school that has no violence. And a more personal touch to it than public school.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

116 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

118 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

76 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

77 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

76 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

140 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

141 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

147 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

147 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

89 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

20 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

36 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

45 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

38 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Male 50%N/AN/A
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 80%N/AN/A
Female 50%N/AN/A
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2013-2014

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school The entire county
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher education levels

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 6%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Russian
Spanish
Creole
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • High Performing School (2012)
  • Green School of Promise (2013)
  • Principal of the Year National Art Educators (2013)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Community Service (2012)
  • ROV 1st PLace (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
Clubs
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 3:15 p.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • MS. MARIE TURCHIARO
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • 561-547-3775
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Project-based
  • STEM
  • Standards-based
  • high expectations, maritime
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration
  • Counseling
  • Remediation
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Tutoring
  • Art room
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Creative writing
Media arts
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • After School Tutoring
  • Art club
  • Homework help/study buddy club
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • National Art Honor Society
  • National Honor Society
  • Robotics club

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer Cafeteria