Palm Beach Maritime Academy

Charter | K-10 | 735 students

We are best known for maritime activities, academics.

Posted Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Horrible staff, especially the receptionist, she is very unprofessional and very rude, she does how to do her job, no communication

Posted August 15, 2014

Horrible experience... No communication. I was told my child would be able to enrolled and all paperwork was provided. They invited us to do a tour, talked to the teacher, give us the list of supplies to buy etc... to find out 24 hours before school starts that my chid was on a waiting list. Now she won't be able to start school on time. Not the best way to give a good reputation to a charter school.

Posted July 22, 2014

PBMA is a great place to work, everyone here is friendly and approachable. You are welcome to share your input and ideas for school involvement. They have a great FCAT rating and overall great program from KG to high school.

Posted June 9, 2014

That is correct - we do not let parents volunteer in the classrooms. It is our feeling that students deserve some privacy and I've unfortunately had incidents where parents in the "parking lot" comment on which child doesn't read very well or who got into trouble that day. While many parents wouldn't think of doing something like that, it has happened on several occasions and the children and their feelings, in my opinion, are the ones I need to consider first. As for opportunities to volunteer, parents volunteer for way more than field trips, although they seem to like that the most! We have parents doing Book Fair, Picture Day, Lunch Duty, Graduation, and Fundraisers. We also try not to make too many demands on our parents in terms of time because many have difficulty taking a day off. I hope this helps...

Posted June 6, 2014

Parents are not allowed to do any volunteer work in the classroom. There is no parent involvement allowed except for field trips. Parent pick up is a headache.

Posted December 17, 2013

My experience with this school has been okay. I have an eighth grader and I was going to send my twins there next year for kindergarten but am re-thinking that. They are just so un-organized and do not have their act together. I just feel as thought they grew too big too fast.

Posted October 28, 2013

Palm Beach Maritime Academy is an excellent school. The children are happy there. The teachers do a great job.I hear from the children how the teachers and even the principal are always there, always around, talking with them, encouraging them. As a parent that makes me feel good.

Posted August 27, 2013

My son attended Palm Beach Maritime Academy for the first time last year. After comparing what his new school offers and the organization skills of this brand new charter school all I can say is thank goodness he is out of PBMA. Not all of the teachers show respect to the students as well as the parents. If you complain they will make it worst for you and your child. Some of the outrageous behavior from the teachers is so incredible that I don't know if I wrote it all down anyone would even believe it. There is no accountability so they do whatever they want. There are no sports programs, a terrible after school program and No parent teacher organization. The posts about Jupiter grades and communication to a parent are understatements. Some of the teachers post a whole semester of grades at the very end so if your child is having difficulties its to late to do anything. One teacher told me she has children at home and doesn't have time to do them. If you pick up and drop off your child, that is a whole experience in itself! The traffic getting into the school is incredible. I hope that they make improvements this year but this review is what they deserve.

Posted August 14, 2013

Best school ever. My son is so excited to go back for his 4th year at the school. Teachers, Admins, and staff are all tops. The school releases weekly videos and almost daily updates via facebook and website.

Posted July 24, 2013

The problems with the school flow from the top down. The administration barely communicates with the teachers and other staff. Often expectations are not shared and therefore unmet. The administration treats each day as though it is a series of emergencies to put out, many of which can be avoided by some careful planning. For example, uniform distribution last year was a joke, because about an hour before open house, someone remembered that parents would expect uniforms, and it became an emergency. There are two levels of customer service: one for the parent whose kids have been there since the early days and a different one for newbie parents. If you are considered problematic, you'll be ignored. The opening of the high school concerns me because I think the problems that exist now will be amplified. All in all, i think this is a good school if your child is a good student, but if you, your child, or your family needs any special consideration, look elsewhere! Oh, and there is no pto or pta, simply because the administrator can't handle working with parents. Teachers may appear disorganized and indifferent but that is a symptom of a larger problem.

Posted July 22, 2013

I would not recommend this school. The teachers do what they want with little accountability to the Administration. They have good systems in place but only a few good teachers follow them. The communication between parents and teachers is lacking greatly. In all fairness there are some good teachers at this school but equally, not so great. There are no programs for sports and getting into and out of the school everyday to pick your child up is a nightmare. They have a good online system with Jupiter Grades so parents can know whats going on with their children but only half of the teachers use it. There are also some bad attitudes from the staff towards the parents that tend to spill over to how your child is treated. Some of the things they say and do are very concerning. I think the school could improve a lot but making all of the teachers accountable and be on one system that the administration puts in place. My child will not be coming back to PBMA and I think that they need to address many issues to be a better school.

Posted May 9, 2013

Palm Beach Maritime Academy is an excellent school. The children are happy there. The teachers do a great job. The school has EARNED an excellent academic reputation. I m sorry for the parents who have had bad experiences here. That has not been my experience. This is an excellent school and it is because of the leadership. I hear from the children how the teachers and even the principal are always there, always around, talking with them, encouraging them. As a parent that makes me feel good. I want the school staff to be supportive and attentive to my child. That my daughter receives a good education, feels comfortable, safe and even happy at her school is the best I could hope for. That s what we have here. As someone else mentioned, the tone is set from the top down and in this case the top, the principal has created and maintained a great school. Thank you M s T and Staff!!

Posted April 25, 2013

I am a parent of a middle school child I cannot begin to express my extreme disappointment in this school. I would NEVER recommend this school to any parent. The communication, as stated numerous times below, well... there is no communication. The principal minimizes major concerns of parents, that is when you do get to finally speak to her or any members of the staff. And as to the comment of weekly letters and video update, what does that have to do with concerns directly related to a child? I waited over a month to get a response from a teacher regarding a missing assignment that was showing up on Jupitergrades. Let's talk about Jupitergrades.. it would be helpful and nice if the teachers actually used it and updated it. One teacher in particular had not updated my child's grade in over a month. There is a homework tab but if the teachers do not utilize it, what's the point? My child will not be going back to this school STAY AWAY!

Posted March 10, 2013

I'm in the 8th grade. I have been a student since 3rd grade. PBMA rocks! Best school ever. What else can I say.

Posted March 9, 2013

I can't believe that someone would site communication as an issue. PBMA provides a weekly letter and Video Update, Monthly Calendar, update website, and my daughter's teach always call back. Don't listen to a hater check out the following links and she what real parents are saying about the school. The school's facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MaritimeAcademy Link to this week's letter and video: http://palmbeachmaritimeacademy.org/pbma/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=14&Itemid=83 PBMA has been a blessing for my little girl.

Posted March 8, 2013

I use to say this was a great school. However, since they have moved they have become a nightmare. I think the main problem is communication. This school is sadly lacking. You leave a message for administration to call. (they are never available when you call) you never get a call back. Teachers are no better. My son was missing homework. No teacher thought I should know (NO it did not show that on Jupiter grades) until he was missing 70 pages yes 70. The school nurse thinks she knows more than the doctor and gives my child messages to give me instead of picking up a phone and calling me. This school should have stayed small I think they lost something as they grew and now I would not recommend this school to anyone. Infact I am counting the days until my 8th grader is out of there.

Posted January 11, 2013

My children attend this school for the 1st year. We have always had our children in charter schools but not in the state of FL. Everything at the school seemed great until i made a complaint about my children stating their after school care teachers were cursing in font of my children and I didn't appreciate paying for my children to hear this language... that we try so hard to keep them away from. My daughter now claims that they are mean to her brother and that the Director Natasha hates him but she loves her. I was so very sad to hear this. My son is such a sweet boy that is now being punished for coming forward with something her heard from this director. Unfortunately no daycare's in the area pick up from the school and we must utilize the aftercare. Its hurts me to make them go but we really love the school teachers...really wish they could do something about the aftercare being a little safer and loose this director that obviously doesn't care for kids :(

Posted January 6, 2013

My son was so happy with going to school untill the day another student punched him in his stomach more then once in the lunch room and he told one of the employees and they did nothing I went to the school to speak to the princple and can you believe they said she was to busy to speak to me when all she kept doing was walking back and fourth infront of me while i spoke with someone else to give my report then they said they would get back with me but NEVER did so I had to call more then once for someone to tell me they still have to check cameras but if I worked in that school or is friends with someone their I bet they would have done something right away but for anyone else nope Then when I spoke to someone they said they would CALL ME back but guess what still havent recieved a call they had the teacher write a note that SAME child that punched my son CHOKED another child in the same class and they had us read and sighn the HANDBOOK but for what they dont follow it this is what the handbook But which NOTHING was done

Posted December 7, 2012

My daughter is in 8th grade and she thinks PBMA is "the Best School Ever!" What else can I say...

Posted December 6, 2012

I am so disappointed that my husband and I made the decision to send our son to this school. While the building is new, the administration's failure to keep my child safe is appalling. On two occasions he was physically hurt by a peer, told a staff member ( including the nurse) and I was not contacted by anyone. There is no supervision during lunch, the children do not have recess and there are way more than the average number of students in a classroom. The principal is harsh and minimizes major concerns of parents. The aftercare staff is a joke, especially the "director" Natasha. She is rude and does not contribute anything to enrich the students' educational experience. The saving grace has been his teacher Mrs Barry who has been patient, kind and has been the only person to effectively communicate with me. She deserves to work for a much better school!!!! Overall I regret having my son attend this school and he will not return next year. In fact I plan on contacting the district, the media and whoever else it takes to shed light in this horrendous school.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

116 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

118 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

76 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

77 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

76 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

140 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

141 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

147 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

147 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

89 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

20 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

36 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

45 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

38 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Male 50%N/AN/A
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 80%N/AN/A
Female 50%N/AN/A
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2013-2014

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school The entire county
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher education levels

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 6%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Russian
Spanish
Creole
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • High Performing School (2012)
  • Green School of Promise (2013)
  • Principal of the Year National Art Educators (2013)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Community Service (2012)
  • ROV 1st PLace (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
Clubs
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 3:15 p.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • MS. MARIE TURCHIARO
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • 561-547-3775
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Project-based
  • STEM
  • Standards-based
  • high expectations, maritime
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration
  • Counseling
  • Remediation
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Tutoring
  • Art room
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Creative writing
Media arts
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • After School Tutoring
  • Art club
  • Homework help/study buddy club
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • National Art Honor Society
  • National Honor Society
  • Robotics club

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer Cafeteria