G-Star School Of The Arts

Charter | 9-12 | 1065 students

Posted yesterday

I wanted to thank G-Star again for everything you've done for me. I currently work at Blue Sky Studios near NYC making over $100K/yr as a stereoscopic technical director and compositor working on Epic. I would like to thank you for all your support and quite honestly I wouldn't be where I am without G-Star and the amazing education I got there. I learned many things there, but most of all I learned not to stray from what you want to do in life and to never settle on any less than what you want in life. G-Star made this possible and provided me with the education to get me started. In the 4 short years I've been working in the industry I have a resume with over 5 feature films and 3 major studios on it. As you know I accumulated a number of box office releases ranging from Transformers to Prometheus. My G-Star family. You have looked out for me. You have recommended me. And you have made me successful. Thanks to G-Star I have an education in the film industry and no student loans. You have provided me with a future that I know many people wish they could have and I thank you for it.

Posted yesterday

I am a parent of a student currently in the 10th grade. She is my third daughter to attend G-Star. One graduated in 2012 and is performing all over the world and the other just graduated this year and is starting college. I would not have had my children at any other school. The administration is kind and caring and are always there for the students. The teachers are always available to the students for extra help and tutoring. The atmosphere at the school is much different than a conventional school. The kids at G-Star are very ambitious and hard working and really thrive in the professional environment that is available to them. This has taught my daughter's so much about team work and the "real world" and they would not have had this opportunity at any other school. The curriculum is challenging and the focus areas of film, digital animation and acting are taught by film industry professionals. My kids have been part of x-scream halloween, the student feature film, major feature films, commercials, music videos, stage building for World Tours with big name music groups and stage productions. G-Star has given my kids so much! Thank you G-Star School of the Arts!

Posted July 28, 2014

My son has completed his freshman year at this school and, overall, we are very happy with it. It's been a great fit for him. He is actively involved in the X-Scream program and loves it! Academically, it was quite tough (he is in the Pre-IB Programme). He had some great teachers (Mr. Adams in particular) and most staff have been quite helpful.

Posted June 4, 2014

I had such high hopes for this school. My daughter did not get into Dreyfoos, but we were happy to have the option of G-Star. We felt like the tour and open house were a bit like being inside of a commercial, and the Founder is a salesman more than an educator or businessman. But we decided to go for it anyway. Well, she had some teachers she loved, some that were incompetent or could care less. She made some great friends and was excited to get involved with E-Scream. But all that didn't matter because she was sick - all the time! Bronchitis, sore throats, headaches and stomach-aches. She had never missed a day in middle school. She told me she saw others have nose bleeds and seizures, and one of her teachers was sick for two months. . Something is seriously wrong with the buildings, and the administration just covers it up.

Posted May 19, 2014

The school brags about the graduation rate and college acceptance rate, but I don't know where they get these statistics from! The drop out rate is HUGE! And are mostly kids who choose to homeschool rather than subject themselves to the social bullying! Drugs are everywhere! Everything they tell the parents is a huge lie!

Posted January 11, 2014

Parent.... My son has had an exceptional experience at G Star School. The staff is very attentive and truly help the kids grow indivudually. My son has has matured and mastered tremendous skills in the film dept. And has super high goals for his future because of the hands on experiences he gets at G Star. His friends are delightful teens that are respectful and have focus and direction, as he does. Thank you for making high school fun and interesting!

Posted January 8, 2014

My daughter is in the 9th grade there and I have to say there are some great qualities. there is zero bullying and I have not seen any behavior problems. Some of the teachers are really great and go out of their way to care. However that is not the norm. Some don't reply to emails and others get annoyed or upset when you email them. And her Spanish teacher barely speaks english. There is a cafeteria but it's so tiny that most kids have to eat outside at picnic tables. There are broken Windows and roaches. The classrooms are TINY and one smelled really bad. I wish they would allow parents to tour the school before enrolling. I do not know if she'll go there next year. The promises are good and I'm hoping some of it comes true I have not seen any Hollywood film companies come and in 1/2 year they have not had any real world experience. She made great friends.

Posted November 11, 2013

I am a long-time staff member of G-Star School of the Arts. My children attend the school. I ll answer critics with facts: G-Star is an A rated school; Graduation rate of 98% with 94% going on to the colleges of their choice, most on scholarships; FLDOE rated a High Performing School . The Washington Post rated G-Star academically in the top 1.4% of all high schools in the nation; US News & World Report: Silver School Award . Last year 41% of students had a GPA above 3.5 and 21 % had a 4.0 GPA and above; G-Star is an International Baccalaureate World School; G-Star passes the Palm Beach County Health and Fire Inspections with the highest ratings; Of course, there is a cafeteria. Visit www.gstarschool.org and click on Environmental Information for OSHA approved testing proving that there is no mold or any other environmental issues. Click on Parent and Student Comments to see what students and parents truly feel about the school. Safest school in the County - no bullying, drugs, fights or gangs. G-Star was named The Number One High School for Film in the World in London by the Raindance Film Festival, Europe s largest independent film festival. Come see for yourself.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 5, 2013

I am a student at G-Star, and was ecstatic to attend at first. However, when I arrived to the campus, I learned that the buildings are improperly labeled, the rooms are small and over crowded, most of the classrooms have horrible mold and cockroach problems and the owner of the school does nothing to help the students. I and my parents have personally tried to reach him, and we have never gotten an answer. The teachers don't know what they are doing (I have had 5 different AP stats teachers, it is the second nine weeks) and the school barely offers any courses. Gstar stopped offering dual enrollment, and I do not have any math or science courses to take next year. I am leaving the school so I may get a better education! Not only is the education lacking, but all the owner seems to care about is money. The campus is filthy and we don't have a cafeteria. Bottom line, your homeschool isn't as bad as you think it is.

Posted August 2, 2013

I was sent a letter to go to G-star School of the Arts, at the time I had no other options therefore I applied and was accepted. I learned many things, 1) G-star didn't have a clear Bus schedule 2) Classroom were improperly labeled 3) The Lunch service is a disaster 4) The classrooms/building are dirty & old 5) G-star has a Cockroach problem (and I am really scared of cockroaches) Unfortunately as many of us students say G-star has a certain curse, once you get there it's very hard to leave there. Recently, the handful teachers/ administrative staff who cared about us students, and invested their time in making sure that we were comfortable and safe we recently fired, or left due to changes. Alas, I am going to remain there b/c I don't want to go through the hassle of switching schools and having to learn a new curriculum. Even through all of that, If someone asked me if I would recommend my school...I would probably say...yes. It's not the school that makes me stay it's the students, and brilliant friends that have made my high school experience really really awesome. I have never experienced anything at the hands of another student (bullying or otherwise)

Posted August 2, 2013

G Star School of the Arts is anything but that! We moved here specifically so our child could attend G Star. It has been extremely disappointing. I feel everything was misrepresented to us when we visited the school prior to our move. We were told the kids would have "hands on" experience working with "some of the industries finest directors, producers and actors." Well, a year and a half later I have not seen any of that. The few times anyone came to use the sound stage the kids were told it was a closed set and could not help or even watch from a distance. That is not what we expected. The piece on the Today Show was just fluff and the schools founder is more like a used car salesman then an educator. My daughter was enrolled in an AP Physics class and had three different instructors the fist semester. Needless to say she did not do well on the final AP test. She also enrolled in 2 other AP courses but they were cancelled last minute due to lack of interest or teacher. The buildings are old and filthy and some have mold. Turnover rate in teachers is high and they just dismissed the Asst Principal who was the very last good thing the school had going for it.

Posted August 1, 2013

The class rooms are filled with mold and infested with rats and insects. Students and teachers both have recieved mold induced asthma. there is no cafeteria, and there is a lack of school supplies.

Posted April 30, 2013

i think that G-star is an amazing school and people have told me that everyone there are like family i would absoluty love to got to a school where everyone is treated like family and i also heard that people get along well thats good because i am a very good person when it comes to friendship and family they are more important for me because i think that people should be treated equally and they should be respected the same way :)

Posted January 18, 2013

Beware this school is not for everyone!!!!! My child attended Gstar for a year. and half. He is a gifted straight A student and then his grades plummeted!!! As a concerned parent, I asked for assistance to help my son to bring his grades back up and nothing was ever put in place. Some of the teachers were excellent, others not so much. Mr. Anderpont is the gem of the school, always there to listen, encourage the kids, and has a smile on his face The school is in bad shape, renovations needed. Some of the rules are crazy!!!! (in school suspension for being late too many times!!!!) Just be careful when selecting this school. May not be a good fit for your child. We removed him from school and he is back in private!!

Posted December 12, 2012

I am honestly appalled at all of these terrible reviews. I, like many students who attend G-Star, auditioned for Dreyfoos School of the Arts and did not get in. Needless to say, I was devastated. I reluctantly applied to G-Star and got in. Great. I really was dreading high school, but now after 3 and a half years here, I can honestly say it's one of the best choices I've made in my life. Of course, there are teachers who do the bare minimum, but there are also MANY under appreciated teachers who are dedicated and talented at what they do. Being in all honors and AP classes, I can say there has only been one teacher who I've had problems with in all my time at the school. True, our founder has gone a bit over the edge with a few new rules (which, I'll admit, is very annoying to staff/students), but he truly does care. If more students took the time to get to know him/other teachers, maybe they wouldn't be so ignorant. It's difficult to deal with children who, most of the time, don't even want to be in school/disrespect their elders. But they do it, and they do a nice job. I'm not saying it's a utopia, but it's a million times better than what it's been made out to be here.

Posted August 19, 2012

I am currently a sophomore here, and trying to switch as soon as possible after a year of 'schooling.' Too much revolves around the schools' owner trying to keep this mockery afloat, like letting celebrities use the only prestigious thing about G-star, the sound stage. The air conditioners normally don't work in the buildings, and buses. Inadequate staff in the commissary, and most of my teachers don't really teach! They're all nice (to me anyways), but it was as if every teacher was a substitute that wasn't even certified in the first place! One of the only things positive about this school, is that there aren't really any belligerent students, and last year I almost didn't have any incidences. The English department seems to excel, last year I had a fantastic teacher who was tolerant, connected with the students, and best of all knew what he/she was doing. I'm almost certain the only reason this school has such a nice rating is that everyone just watched that Daily Show. Trust me, I fell for it too! I'm switching to my home school very soon, and I advise you not to enroll your kids into this school!

Posted March 27, 2012

I moved here just so I could go to this school. I am very interested in film and acting. I entered into this school as a junior. The today show and their website is purely false advertising. The film department rarely makes any films and if there is any company using the soundstage, they are usually exclusive or just ask you to set up and strike the set. You get NO hands on real life experience. the cameras in the film dept I can purchase at home and I even have the s20 at home. G-Star is more like Ghetto-star and everyone has an attitude. they say "everyone is friends" but they arent. people judge and are loud and rude. The administration doesnt let you express your personality in ANY way and are very strict about dress code. I am very disappointed in my move JUST to go to this school. if you are planning on doing so. dont. all they want are more students so they can get more money to make another sound stage. they DONT care about the students and they accept anyone. half the people there dont even care about film or acting. they are only there bc they hate their old school. my suggestion: don't move just to go to g-star.

Posted June 20, 2011

I knew that my child would succeed at this school. It is a good fit because of her interests, talents and choice of peers. Do your homework. Don't apply just because it looks like your kid would have fun. This is not summer camp. Look for three general complaints. First, that the faculty and admin focus on nothing but stats. Say that to an audience of grateful parents and thriving students and you will hear, at best, the sound of chirping crickets. Second, student diatribe with high frequency usage of "I" and "me" - Mere 4th year drivel about how the school will not be able to get along without them. Snivelers should try a one week reality check at another pbc public school. Third, disillusionment from parents of students with average academic performance. Sadly, academic rigor has an unforgiving quality. Some charter schools may consider this a tolerable limitation on what their school can offer. Please don't let the negative comments drive your decision. Bottom line: Gstar is really cool. I see caring, sensitive and hardworking kids. The kind of kids I want my daughter to be around. peace

Posted May 30, 2011

I'm going into my senior year at GStar, and I've been there for my entire past three years. The film and acting departments at GStar make up for it's lack of academic thrill. I'm strictly in the film department, but I've many friends in the theatre department and the biggest complaint is the lack of funding. The film department seems to get money for cameras and other equipment handed to them. There's always award ceremonies and such going on for communications, however the acting department must raise their own money. Favoritism? Seems to be so. There's a few common jokes among the upperclass students that the teachers don't even need a degree to work here, as long as they're willing to work. Another being that after the class of 2012 graduates, there is little to no hope left for the school. No one in the underclass seems to really take the school seriously, because the school basically lets you in if they like your name. I know GStar prides itself in the "no audition" category, but if you're running a school of the arts, you need to have some boundary of talented people. I can say 80% of the kids there only attend because they don't want to attend their home school and get beat.

Posted April 5, 2011

Don't Listen to haters, G-Star is a great school for 3 reasons 1.) WE HAVE AN A AVERAGE 2.) THE SCHOOL IS THE ONLY ONE OF ITS KIND IN THE WORLD (as announced by the british film festival) 3.)And the student benefits excel that of any other A, B, or C rated school.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

288 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

268 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

276 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

323 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "C".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

184 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

245 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

265 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

127 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Ethnicity This school