Everglades Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 945 students

Posted January 9, 2006

This school has been a big disappointment. It is probably fine for some kids, but not for gifted children. We wanted to test our son for gifted program but we were told that there is no such program for KG. After some investigation we found that there is such program and we contacted the school and told them the source of information. Very reluctantly they agreed to test him for this program. It takes months before you can get the appointment for the test. The staff at schools who runs this program are not ready to put any efforts at all. Another disappointment was safety issues. Our son was injured on playground and we have to put 14 stitches to his face. We think that this could have been avoided if the teacher was present at the playground.

Posted November 23, 2005

My daughter loves her 1st grade teacher so much, that on picture day, she wanted her hair to look just like her teachers'.

Posted September 14, 2005

This school is known for its warm and pleasant atmosphere and extremely accessibly administration. The school has an 'open door' policy, where it always seemed that parental concerns and demands were are usually met, even when teachers don't agree. Every year there seems to be a new or group of very demanding parents who always seem to get whatever they want. These may be some of the reasons why there is a high turnover of teachers each year, and they are often replaced by brand new teachers and new graduates. This bothers many parents, but the overall impression is very positive and the school is consistently 'A' rated, so it seems to be working out pretty well anyway.

Posted August 8, 2005

This is a wonderful school. The parent, teacher, admin relationships are good. Strong PTO. There is an excellent program for exceptional students.

Posted August 2, 2005

Wonderful teachers ( especially Mrs. Ready) Principal, parents very active. Clean , safe, located in affluent safe neighborhood.

Posted June 12, 2005

My son and I are so happy at this A rated school. He gets so much attention from the staff. It truly is the best school.

Posted June 1, 2005

My son has been attending Everglades Elementary since Kindergarten, he will be entering the 5th grade in August. My daughter also attends and will be entering the 2nd grade in August. The staff, administration and parent envolvement is outstanding. My children and myself feel safe at Everglades. mr. Tillinger is an excellent principal that makes it a point to know all his students. Thank you Everglades for making my children's elementary school experience a positive one.

Posted May 19, 2005

My typical child has attended this school K-5th grade and was an excellent school. Lots of parent involvement... ESE department is another story. Underqualified teachers in clusters, lack of communication between admin. and teachers, principal doesn'e seem to care about the ESE kids... 3 children from my autism cluster have been pulled from this class alone and sent to other schools. Autism coach is leaving, new teacher hired this year for next already quit... red flags all over the place. Be careful with the ESE services, you have to fight for everything.

Posted May 18, 2005

This is my 2nd year at Everglades Elementary. Next year my twins will be enrolled in the kindergarten. My daughter Lexi has had another wonderful year thanks to her outstanding teacher, Mrs. Winer. Also a special thanks to Mr. Tillenger, our outstanding principal. They are what our education system is about. Quality teaching, dedication and a love for the students. Thanks again for another great year and more to come.

Posted March 30, 2005

I have always been very pleased with Everglades Elementary in Weston. My daughter attended there from K-5 and is now at Falcon Cove Middle. My son is currently in 3rd grade at Everglades. His 3rd grade teacher Ms Brewton is fabulous and always has my son's best interests in mind. Mr. Tillinger and Mrs Sauve are dedicated to the success and accomplishments of the entire school. I have absolutely no complaints at this time!

Posted February 10, 2005

At Everglades my kids are really happy. Quality of teachers is great. They are friendly and very good at their job. Wish only a little bit more of organization at the pick up time.

Posted May 29, 2004

It is pretty clear that some people ar confusing this school with the one in Miami who sharews our same name. We have the same principal since this school began and he does an outstanding job for our community. We have never had a band director or multiple assistant principals. People, please know the school you comment about before you speak. We are proud to be part of such an excellent school and all my neighbors are extremely pleased with the leadership of our principal. He is the most approachable and supportive principal my family has ever met. This is the best school in the entire neighborhood.

Posted April 18, 2004

I am an intern at the school and it is wonderful! Teachers who do not even know who I am always give a smile or hello in the hallway. This school welcomes more parent volunteers and high school volunteers, than any other school I have seen. The children all receive the attention they require through loving and caring educators.

Posted April 14, 2004

There are many great teachers at this school. I found some problems with the resource room. The resource room has not been ready to open the first day of school and there have been many problems with having appropriate material for these students. I also found the principal not willing to step up to the plate and help get this room ready to go with a teacher and supplies starting on the first day of school.

Posted November 15, 2003

My daughter is in her third year at Everglades and we have loved her school up until this year. Her teacher this year is a bit too tough on the kids and most are fearful of her. My daughter is afraid to ask for assistance and is made an example of in front of the entire class if she forgets an assignment or needs help with an assignment. I called Mr. Tillinger to express my concerns and he did not even bother to return my phone call. It has been 2 months and I am still waiting. He is never available whenever I call. The assistant prinicpal was nasty and rude with me on the phone. I am looking into a charter school for the next school year.

Posted October 15, 2003

We are new to Weston and to Everglades Elementary. We have found the principal to be 'first class', the teachers to be very friendly and accomodating. We are so pleased with our decision to send our first grader to Everglades.

Posted July 31, 2003

My son will begin the 5th grade this year (4th year at Everglades) and we have enjoyed every year. Each of the teachers have been unique in their own ways but have done an excellent job. The administration and principle have handled any issue immediately and professional! Excluding the class sizes it has to be the best public school.

Posted July 27, 2003

My daughter is going into 2nd grade, and I've yet to be disappointed with anything. The teachers are excellent, and the principal is extremely 'hands-on.' The parent involvement is overwhelming. Everyone volunteers! It is a pleasure to be a part of this nurturing school. My family lives in The Ridges and won't move, just so we can continue to go to this wonderful school.

Posted July 11, 2003

The school's administrations and teachers are great! Just don't let your child be a 'square' instead of 'circle' like most kids....the principal and executive management wouldn't know what to do with him/her. I withdrew my son from this school and is now an honor student in his present school!
—Submitted by a former student

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

151 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

150 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

191 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

191 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

189 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

171 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

171 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

170 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

184 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2900 Bonaventure Boulevard