Gator Run Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 1195 students

Sweep tile

Posted November 23, 2013

I am happy with the school. I moved from California two years ago and comparing schools, Gator Run is better organized, safety is excellent (nobody can enter the school if not approved as a volunteer - checked background, and must sign in in the forgot office) ,the new principal amazing, he is so involved in everything: he is everywhere, greets all students and parents, even run in the Boosterthon race and attended with his family a local restaurant to help collect funds for the school. My sons are happy at this school. Both teachers are excellent. Just in first grade I was not satisfied with the teacher, she was not aware of things she did not notice my son being a potential for the gifted program and even suggested he would not succeed. Totally wrong, I had him tested and he is doing wonderful in the gifted program for 2 years and had excellent teachers.

Posted September 12, 2013

I have to say I had a great experience last year. Our Kindergarten teacher Ms Ames was wonderful. I cannot say the same about this year. Our 1st grade teacher is non communicative, cold, disorganized. We had our open house last night and her presentation lasted only 10 min. She was not engaged, passionate or enthusiastic about her class at all. My son keeps telling me that he is bored. He used to be the happiest kid at school. Not anymore. They also have a huge problem with families using fake addresses in order to register their kids. Nobody seems to care or control this issue. The school is way overcrowded. The PTA is outstanding, they do a great job. But its formed by only 15% of the parents and its the same people every year . Everyone else is not involved. We moved to Weston because of the "good schools". But all I can say is good luck with the teacher you get, and get ready for an overcrowded college-like environment.

Posted September 3, 2013

I have really nothing good to say about my daughter's experience at this school other than making friends. There are some bad things about this school and i will mention just two of them. 1. Car traffic in the mornings is horrible. You wait almost 30 minutes in line and staff at gator run dont seem to care to adress the problem. 2. The Teacher that my daughter had was terrible. Teacher was lack of all good qualities a good caring devoted teacher should have. I dont want to give details but my daughter learned more in pre-k than kindergarden. One thing i will say the parents seem more enthusiastic helping the kids than the own teacher.

Posted June 12, 2013

We are very happy with this school. When we found out we were being transferred to the area (after growing up in Toronto, Canada) we were very concerned. I read the comments in the reviews and wasn't overly impressed. My husband's work told us where we had to live so we had no choice. My kids just finished their first year and I have nothing but good things to say about this school. They are so organized, communicate with the parents, answer all requests and security is excellent. My son was challenged with extras such as Math superstars and there are so many extra activities. I am so relieved. Safety, communication, well rounded education and friendly! Thank goodness!

Posted January 5, 2012

My son started Kindergarten in this school this year and we are now beginning our second semester here. For 2 years prior, he attended the Montessori school in Weston. I find that the curriculum is far behind what he was studying in the Montessori, though it rivals other high-ranking public elementary schools. Parent involvement is really what makes this school great. In kindergarten, students have plenty of individualized attention with parents volunteering in the classroom daily. I do love the fact that there is an advanced reading program in Kindergarten. There is a LOT of diversity (mainly White, Latino and Chinese) though many cultures and religions are represented and the district is highly affluent and worldly; the cultures seem to get along very well. The school could improve on the following: playground equipment, time spent outside (currently approximately 2 recesses per week), foreign language offering (none at the moment), and some staffers' attitudes toward students and parents (oftentimes condescending; the principal and staff will yell at classes at lunch and in the hallways, and staff scolds parents instead of patiently explaining.)

Posted October 31, 2011

This is my daughter's first year at Gator Run and I could not be more pleased! Reading through the reviews, I am shocked to see some of the complaints- we have had nothing but the most wonderful experience. I could not be happier with the quality of the school and the education my daughter is receiving. I look forward to the next several years at Gator Run!

Posted April 14, 2011

The car pool line is ineffective. Lazy parents park in the front lot, drop their kids, block traffic while walking back to their cars while we sit in line and wait. Administration greets them while they block traffic and we sit and wait. It causes extra traffic as they exit the parking lot .

Posted April 25, 2010

Best school, best teachers, best principal, superb education,everyone has a positive attitude, love it !!

Posted April 1, 2010

I was an intern at Gator Run for two years. This was the best elementary school I had the chance to work with. The teachers are excellent as well as the principle. Being an intern I was able to see 'behind the scenes' in many classrooms. Trust me: this school is great. Besides the wonderful education, parent participation and security, this school has a great materials to meet each child's needs and create unique activities. A++

Posted August 30, 2009

This school has it together. The car pool this year is organized! The prinicipal was visible the first day of school and at the meet and greet. She seems very pleasant and has a very well run office staff as well as excellent teachers. I am impressed.

Posted August 27, 2009

Horrible principal. Never can be seen around school after the first week of school. Make decisions based on what is beneficial for her and her kids since they also attend Gator Run. And carpool this year is a joke!! What a complete mess!!

Posted June 22, 2009

Our child has been at Gator Run K-5 and will now be going to middle school. The quality of the teaching has been excellent and our child recently received 3 fives on the FCAT (reading, math, and science) this year. Many of our friends pulled their kids from Sagemont to send them to Gator Run, as the quality of the education is on par with private school programs. The quality of the schools is one of the many perks of living in Weston.

Posted June 21, 2009

This is an excellent school. Teachers are challenging and loving. The office staff is really friendly and helpful, yet security is tight. I know my kids are safe each day. The test scores are evidence of the exceptional education and parent involvement is exceptional.

Posted May 19, 2009

Teachers are great. They are willing to challenge the students regardless of what level they are on. I found most of the office staff to be helpful. I have volunteered there on a regular basis and have yet to see the principal. She seems to be locked behind a door. In fact, I thought the Vice Principal was the actual principal until another parent informed me of the mix up. However, security is great. You don't need to worry about their safety when you drop your kids off. Great education and great security!!

Posted May 17, 2009

I have a 3rd grader and a Kindergardener attending Gator Run and we love it.....The school is clean, staff is friendly and the teachers are awesome!!! The kids love going to school there and are learning so much....I say yes attend school here...

Posted November 10, 2008

Gator Run gives too much homework and parent's are expected to be involved in every homework and projects assigned. Without parent involvement kids are clueless. I wonder where my tax dollars are going to? I seem to be educating my own child.

Posted August 27, 2008

All three of my children attend/have attended Gator Run. My oldest son, now in middle school, started at Gator Run in Kindergarten all the way through the 5th grade. I can't say enough about this school. Wonderful teachers, wonderful support staff. The carpool drop off and pick up is no worse than any other school. Good, tight security (never a problem when visiting the school for events...everything runs smoothly). Event parking is an issue but doable and seems to improve each time. The school improves on itself every year. I have two children still attending Gator Run. We couldn't be happier.

Posted August 23, 2008

I have been there for a year. I love the school. The teachers are great. I like that they want to take extra precautions for the school to be safe. Will highly recommend the school

Posted July 8, 2008

What makes this school great is the teaching. The teachers deliver a quality education in a caring environment. It's evident they love their job. I don't care about the long carpool lines or tight security when there are only 18 students in a class and my children are thriving.

Posted June 8, 2008

Gator Run is an excellent school, if you are moving to the area I highly recommend it! Teachers are what make the school and they have A+ teachers (besides the great security). Your typical snooty 'Weston Mom' might not be pleased, but my 3 kids are very happy and getting a great education!

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

197 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

198 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

192 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

192 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2013.

188 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

243 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

242 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

240 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

245 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Asian 5% 3%

Other degree 3%N/A2%

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 1%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1101 Glades Pkwy