No rating

Windermere Preparatory School

Private | PK-12 | 1200 students

Best known for our "Best Private School" ranking, academics, IB Diploma Program

Living in Windermere

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $253,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,350.

Posted May 2, 2014

We have two children attending WPS. Both are greatly enjoying the experience and my husband and I are very pleased. On a specific note, our son was struggling with HS Biology and his teacher Ms. Borrowman has worked diligently with our son and us to ensure that he is getting the information he needs to succeed. She is so positive, uplifting and encouraging. He enjoys her as a person and enjoys the way she teaches. She is just one example of the fine teachers at WPS and certainly epitomizes the true definition of teacher.

Posted March 23, 2014

Wonderful teachers and administrators. I would like to see the administration not cave to parents requests for teachers. It is not possible to give everyone who they want. As a parent, I trust the administration to best place my children. They are experts in education and I would like to see parents let them place the students as they see best.

Posted January 13, 2014

I have three grand kids attending this excellent school. All three seem to love going to school and are excited about sharing projects with me. Windermere celebrates veterans' day and grandparents' day together. I am able to meet and talk to their current teachers, then attend a respectful and always creative salute to our nation's veterans. They even go to the trouble of collecting pictures of veterans with a connection to the school and during the ceremony the pictures (including mine!) are projected on a screen. I was able to get on an email list so I am notified each time the kids take an Accelerated Reader Practice Quiz. So I get firm evidence that all three are reading regularly, and reading above grade level. Windermere is a supurb school with a beautiful campus! I'm happy my grand kids will be able to attend all the way through 12th grade.

Posted January 12, 2014

I have watched WPS grow form the ground up. I am amazed by the beautiful campus. The school continues to improve year after year.

Posted January 12, 2014

There is something special happening in west orange county. We are excited to be a part of it.

Posted November 21, 2013

I am thrilled to write a review for Windermere Preparatory School. Our daughter is new to WPS this year. The difference we have seen in her self confidence and academic achievements has been amazing. She has gone from being a smart shy girl to an outgoing, self-confident, academically engaged young lady. Her teacher's recognize where she needs to differentiate her instruction and challenges her. She is having fun, learning tons and talking about school each day she comes home. We have found the self confidence she has received through the learning environment at WPS is creating a amazing foundation we thought we would never see. Just in a short time the difference exceeds our expectations. It was the best decision we made! We highly recommend Windermere Preparatory School to anyone looking for great school. Every time we see the students, any age, Pre-K3 through High School, we are blown away.

Posted October 18, 2013

WPS is an outstanding school. I consider myself very blessed that my children are able to attend school here. Not only are my children getting an outstanding education, but they are with teachers and staff every day who truly care about them as people. The campus is beautiful and when you drive onto campus you can see the happiness on every child's face. They are excited to be there. My children are on the above average side and WPS has done everything they can to continue to challenge them. And I don't even have to ask, they just offer extra because they see my children need it. Sports start in Middle School and there are many more options available to both boys and girls than are in the public schools. In addition to sports, there are many clubs and events too. I can't imagine having my children in any other environment!

Posted October 16, 2013

My children have flourished at WPS. The Academic Growth, Administrative Support and Nurturing Environment have Exceeded our Expectations! We are a proud Laker Family!

Posted October 16, 2013

WPS is a family! The teachers care a great deal about each and every student and take the time to get to know each family on a personal level. The personal learning plans for my children challenge them every day. Administration will take time and listen to students and parents. WPS has had students selected to many top tier universities including the Ivy Leagues. The school offers a diverse selection of extracurricular activities, including competitive sports with coaches that hold strong credentials. We have two daughters at WPS, they have been to other private schools, but none have been close to what WPS has to offer. I wish we had heard about WPS a few years earlier, but this is a school my children (who are in the lower school) will graduate high school from.

Posted October 16, 2013

We love Windermere Prep!!! We have been at WPS for over 5 years and I can't imagine my kids going to school anywhere else. Great administration, great teachers, great students, and great families! My kids LOVE going to school and I have peace of mind when I drop them off knowing they are in great hands.

Posted October 16, 2013

One year ago I moved from Chattanooga, Tennessee to Windermere, Florida. Before we moved, we looked for schools in the area and discovered Windermere Preparatory School. Being a distance away, we contacted the school for information. They went above and beyond to get us all the information we needed, with no pressure to enroll. Once we got moved in they invited us for a tour of the school and we were blown away by how open and beautiful the campus was. Everyone we talked to was friendly and went out of their way to make sure all our questions were answered. By the first day of school, we knew we had made the right choice for our two children. Now in our second year, we are getting more involved. Whether it's volunteering in our son's classroom, watching our daughter at tennis practice, or even attending a High School Football game, WPS gives us many options. Our children stay busy, but have a lot of fun in the process. In our previous town, our children loved their elementary school. But as far as middle and high school goes, we were struggling to find one that would fit our kids needs. Now that the kids are at WPS, we know exactly where they will graduate.

Posted October 15, 2013

Windermere Prep is a great community, fostering both academic and social growth in my children.

Posted September 30, 2013

I LOVE WPS!! There are so many positives about WPS it is hard to know where to begin. The school has an immediate welcoming feeling then you are greeted by Top Notch Educators that CARE about your child and YOU! I love how they personally know your child and hand select the best teacher to fit thier needs. The teachers really do make it their top priority to know each child and thier strength and weaknesses. They know what areas that your child needs to be more challenged and what areas need more attention. WPS believes in having the parents involved and working as a team! If there is ever a problem you will know right away even if it is something tiny. All the staff is just as involved as if it was their own child. FLEX/LEAP is great before/after school care. The Community School offers great opportunities for your child to get involved in after school activities. Lake Cypress is great to keep the kids learning during the summer. WPS always has a great opportunity for the kids and parents to both get involved and make a difference.

Posted September 28, 2013

We have been a part of the Windermere Prep family for nine years. In that time, it has grown and evolved into a leading academic school with wide diversity and strong leadership. Every day I drop my kids there, I feel good about leaving them in that environment. They are well cared for, challenged in the classroom, and pushed to be the best human beings they can be. I would highly recommend this school to anyone!

Posted September 24, 2013

WPS is an amazing school! The administration is second to none. Dr Marcy is a great headmaster and really listens to parents. Ms. Davies (middle school principal) is caring and goes the extra mile for the parents and students. We are especially thankful for the way Mr. Stone (Dean of Students) handles any issues with students, he takes time to reach out to parents and educate the students. My kids love coming to school each and every day.

Posted September 24, 2013

WPS is beyond what I could have expected for my children. This is our second year here after moving from a public school. WPS not only provides a top notch education for my children but gives them the love and support to achieve their goals. This school offers all the extra curricular activities my children were interested in and also provides them with additional private lessons. The teachers here are nurturing and truly care about the progress and advancement of my children. Thank you to all the teachers who spend numerous hours making sure my children have a positive K-12 educational experience.

Posted August 24, 2013

Aside from the flow of traffic being excellent considering the amount of cars, the head master, teachers, and other staff and wave and greet you with good morning. I am so impressed with this school. I have two children here and I would NEVER consider public school. Like any good parent you have to be active in your child's education and I feel so involved at WPS. Sad to see WPS only having 3 stars I give it "10".

Posted August 24, 2013

EXCELLENT school, Top of the top. Would never consider another school. The public school system is being flooded with other districts and trailers for classrooms is unacceptable. The curriculum is superior to any other school we have researched. The cost of tuition goes to teachers, maintenance, staff, facilities, etc. If tuition is too high for ones family then consider public school (its free). At WPS you get what you pay for. SO HAPPY WITH THIS SCHOOL!

Posted August 24, 2013

Excellent School. I believe the greatest gift we can give our children is a superior education.

Posted August 24, 2013

My 3 kids have attended windermere prep for a combined 14 years. We loved WPS before but with the new changes going on we couldnt be happier. The new head master is truly the greatest.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 4-year college 100% (2012)
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • "Best Private School" by the Orlando Business Journal (2013)
  • "Cool School" by FOX News Network (2014)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Swimming pool

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Accelerated credit learning
  • Advanced placement courses
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
College preparation / awareness resources offered
  • College prep programs/courses during the year
  • College presentations or information sessions
  • SAT/ACT prep classes
  • School-sponsored trips to college campuses
  • Debate
  • National Honor Society

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Dr. Thomas Marcy
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Some boarding, some day
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• College prep
  • Core knowledge
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)

• Arts (all)

• Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Security personnel
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • None
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)