Windermere, FL
Students enrolled: 1,049

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted September 02, 2015
Every teacher is set to very high standards, and their progress is closely monitored and very much supported by admin. Continuous education, group planning and 3 coaches to help the teachers and make sure no student is left behind.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted September 02, 2015
Reading and some light computer work every night. computer work is tailored to each student. It's perfect!

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted September 02, 2015
This school lacked very much in this department before, but now I can absolutely say YES to this!

Posted September 02, 2015
With our new principal, Ms. Bittick, our school is now welcoming and friendly, as well as being very academically rigorous. They care about each student and have taken the important measures to make sure every student achieves academically. In addition, they are now very welcoming to the children and families. Communication is amazing as well. I am pretty picky and had a lot of issues with the previous admin, but I cannot say enough fantastic things about the way SP is now! This school is top notch!

Posted May 21, 2015
There is a new principal now. In 4 years we have been at school, it went from unbelievable traffic issues to manageable traffic. You still get irresponsible drivers in school zone but has dramatically improved this year. Two new relief schools are in the works so that will help with the overcrowding. Love all the teachers my kids have had. They all have gone above and beyond to help my children succeed.

Posted April 29, 2015
My daughter is finishing up Kindergarten. I love that she learned a lot! In a span of 1 year, she can read -- like a book and actually understand the details of the story she read. She also writes in sentences, her teacher said "perfect penmanship" and she has been an awardee. All those I attribute to the school: Her teacher. For strictly enforcing class rules, so that each student can absorb as much information as they can. For not tolerating unruly kids and bullies in her class. For keeping the kids safe at all times. For being responsive to our emails and notes. The new principal. There was a kid who kept kicking kids in the bus (I talked to a few moms) one time she kicked my daughter and her friend. My daughter kept telling her to stop out loud. The principal immediately hopped in the bus, gave a good lecture to the girl. The next day I talked to the bus driver, I saw the girl sitting right behind him beside a big boy. The driver said that he talked to the mom and warned that if she does that again, she can no longer ride the bus. I'm happy that the principal and the bus driver instantly took action on the incident.

Sunset Park Elementary School 1

Posted March 18, 2015
We loved our school until they got a new principal. Its been a nightmare after nightmare. She does not control traffic, our previous principal controlled traffic and made sure the children were safe and there were no accidents. She doesn't go around the school checking up on teachers and students. Most of her day she spends in her office. I assume filing her nails. She leaves early and mind you the previous principal stayed working until 9pm. She uses her children as an excuse to leave early. She isn't involved with the school what so ever. She doesn't know the rules of children with IEP's. Her own faculty doesn't like her. I've been directly told by them. A couple of parents took their children out of Sunset Park in the middle of the school year because of how awful the principal is. She is a horrible principal and is giving the school such a bad reputation.

Sunset Park Elementary School 3

Posted September 17, 2014
I have to agree with comments below that the school and teachers completely favor some families. The friends and families of teachers get a lot of preferential treatment -- much to the students detriment. The school has like 1400 students and every year the same parents are the homeroom parents, the same children are teachers pet, student of the month, get to sit with their friends, get their pictures in the Yearbook . . .. How is that possible with 1400 students??? Five years of this is too much for any parent let alone the children. I guess the school is teaching them early in life that it is not what you know but who you know. Kids even get in classes because of who their parents are friends with at the school. Some children get no attention year after year after year. It seems like they are creating a status system in elementary school that will help destroy the self esteem and self worth of the other children who would never be considered to do the things the FOTs get to do.

Sunset Park Elementary School 4

Posted August 22, 2014
For this new year I hope will be a very greatful experience, especilly because my two daughters new live here in Windermere. All the best for them...

Sunset Park Elementary School 3

Posted August 20, 2014
I have two children in this school, with my girl every thing have been good, but with my active boy not. Sunset park is a good school, but is overcrowed, that is why children, in my oppinion, are not treated like I would like, the have to eat early and quickly, they do not have enough time to eat, most of the teachers have no patient with the students, they are always yelling because there are so many kids at halls, cafeteria etc, Some teachers never smile. If your child needs special attention, or need help with school rules, administrative staff, including principal asistants and behavior specialists ,are more than willing to help, but the teachers, in my case, no. Dismissal is a nightmare for walkers, car riders etc. Parents who wants to park and then walk to pick their kids, do not have space in the parking lot, and the school is no solving this. If you want to pick your kid as a car rider you have to arrive at least 45 minutes before dismissal hour to be in line and take your child. Some teachers are really nice and they enjoy to teach.

12050 Overstreet Rd, Windermere, FL  34786
Last modified Sunset Park Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sunset Park Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 62 reviews. Top