Public charter
Winter Springs, FL

Posted July 15, 2015
I whole-heartedly love and support this school. My children have attended Choices in Learning for over three years. They are excelling academically and socially, and they are looking forward to starting up the new school year again. My children love their teachers, love their classroom experience, are continually challenged and engaged. All along the way, the kids' teachers have been excellent, are attentive to the kids' individual needs, have been open and responsive to parent communication, and have always met with us whenever we've requested. It is true: the administration runs a tight ship. However, as with any well-run organization, structure and rules are in place for the students' safety and best interest. Students are held to high standards, which is what I as a parent want of, and for, my children. There may be a small group of disgruntled parents, but in my experience, and as another reviewer wrote, these tend to be the parents who seem to want special accommodations made for their own convenience (and unfortunately, you will find those groups in every school and environment). In our experience, however, the broader Choices parent community is very friendly, positive and supportive of this school. Clearly, the parents have made a choice to have their child(ren) attend this charter school because they believe in it. My children are very proud to be Choices in Learning students and part of this special community. The scores and results speak for themselves. We highly recommend this school!!!

Posted May 07, 2015
My child will NOT be attending this school. There seems to be a closed door policy when it comes to parents accessing the school. It concerns me they have something to hide by not allowing us to tour the school. We were unavailable Jan - March, which are the ONLY times they allow outsiders in the school. We found out my son had a spot in kindergarten the day AFTER orientation & there will not be a make-up session. The only opportunity we have to look at the school is open house, Friday BEFORE school starts. How is this acceptable? If I am trusting you with my child, than I need to feel that you are able to effectively communicate. I was also told that due to testing, we would not be able to disrupt the class. Funny, we're touring an A/10 rated, public school on Monday. I am appalled that anyone would send their child to a school that is so closed off & guarded, & not in a way to convey safety, but in a way that they are ashamed what they have to offer. The word "safety" was never used. Lastly, I was informed by the school last year for Kindergarten, the wait list was 150. By Dec, they had gone through the whole list. Sounds like other parents have the same thoughts.

Posted October 12, 2014
This school is Amazing. The negative reviews on this site seem to be a small group of friends who couldn't control the school. If you want your kids to be safe and actually learn something than this school is it.

Choices In Learning Charter School 2

Posted January 30, 2014
This is my third year at CIL, academically is a great school but with really strong feelings about who we as a parents are treated and some times our kids. My little one has no problems with her current k teacher, but my oldest one has been very cautious about her teacher, she says is very moody and she doesn't now how is she is going to be next day (young teacher). My daughter was crying at home one day after I requested her to say something to the teacher that she was being encouraged not to....she was so afraid of her possible reaction she burst in tears. Why I did not go to the school to repot? I am tired of how many things I've tried to discuss and definitely they don't care. The last thing the want to now is your opinion. It's deaf ears. Also you can see how principal has her "favorite" teachers, and my daughter's is one of them. You also perceived how many teachers feel pressured, restricted and unhappy.

Posted January 29, 2014
Really BAD experience with this school. Please get informed before sending your children to this school. I am posting my opinion just for the benefit of the children and families in our community. Please get informed.

Posted January 23, 2014
I believe this could be a great school again one day if they could just change the administration. I know many parents who have pulled their children out of Choices in Learning within the past year or two, due to the current administration. However, there is a culture of fear among the parents and staff to stand up to the current principal, board and pto. Most are too afraid of retribution to report the problems, don't see any hope for change, or their complaints fall on deaf ears. So they just leave the school and the problems continue. Please do your research before enrolling your child here. You could be happy here, but just please go in with your eyes wide open regarding how the school is managed and you will be less disappointed. There are still good teachers and families here. I hope the Board can do the right thing and make the necessary changes so this school can return to its full potential. I say do your own research, because I don't believe this website truly reflects the varied opinions on the current state of this school. Some posts that parents take the time to write regarding their honest, but negative opinion have a way of being taken off this sight. Sad but true.

Posted January 13, 2014
Totally unsatisfied with administration & the lack of the board's concern to what parents are telling them. Staff & students have a high turn over rate.... taking our kids out - several friends have already left. Another friends is pulling out of 5th grade this week. That is not a decicion easily made to remove your 5th grader. She's not the first one to leave in the middle of the school year. Parents do not make these choices lightly, and verbalizing our concerns is not welcomed here. They want to make it all about test scores. There is more going on here that we can not put in writing because people don't want to hear the truth.

Posted January 12, 2014
I am a bit shocked at the reviews I'm reading by parents. To be honest, it seems they are more focused on being inconvenienced during drop off/pick up than they are about the quality of education their children are receiving. As a parent of two children at Choices, I've been quite happy with the fact that my children are held to high standards, given goals, and required to think critically. My concerns with parking and inflated gossip about administration (some remarks seemed to hinge on braking the Terms of Use agreement) are not even close to being a second consideration. I think it might be a good time for parents to reflect on why children are education. Is it for your convenience or your child's future? All in all, I am very happy with my children's bully-free, academically challenging, and safe environment provided at this school.

Choices In Learning Charter School 4

Posted October 29, 2013
I lot of parents are very unhappy with the principal, and today a lot of us witness how the principal was bulling the parents. The situation is very unfriendly. Please board of directors we want the principal to be remove. Please look for a real professional , friendly substitute. I think we all believe this school can still be a great school , just fix the problem. There are still very good things about the school , the teaching etc. Thank you.

Posted October 01, 2013
Two kids at CIL. Good to excellent teachers. (Some are outstanding!) Have attended board meetings myself and felt like my concerns were addressed. It's a strict campus, but I appreciate that. For example, assigned seating on the buses. My only complaints are that there are waiting lists and lines often for example to become a bus rider (because so many people are interested in the school) and that, as a charter school, my kids spend an extra hour at school each day. Some things are more expensive at CIL too like uniforms (must be their seller) and school lunches, etc. I really like their curriculum though. I have lots of open communication with teachers via email. I feel like they listen and respond when I have problems/concerns. Lots of fun activities and events during the year. Tons of parent involvement. Maybe they have changed the front staff since my kids started at CIL, but I think they are all great. They recognize me and seem to know my kids too.

Choices In Learning Charter School
1100 East State Road 434, Winter Springs, FL  32708
Last modified Choices In Learning Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Choices In Learning Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 74 reviews. Top