Durham Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1107 students

Sweep tile

Posted September 6, 2013

Durham is an incredible school. They have great teachers and well managed classrooms, from what I can tell. My daughter loves being there. Their character education system and discipline structures are impressive and have changed the school in a lot of good ways. They reward students for good behavior on Fridays, which is a great incentive for the kids to do their best and my daughter loves it! Dr. Galante is a very approachable principal and seems to be doing a great job. The music programs there are excellent, as well. Of course, middle schoolers will be middle schoolers and drama happens...even with good kids, but this school is great and even better than the private school my daughter was in previously.

Posted August 22, 2013

My daughter is an eight grader at this school and she is doing really well. This is not her district school, the drive is long but it is so worth it. I'm please with Mrs. Cox, she has been a tremendous help in getting my daughter into the right classes and getting her re-adjusted back at Durham. Keep up the great work.

Posted August 3, 2012

I am a student at Durham Middle School. I have not once witnessed drugs or back talk. Our school has some fairly bad systems in place for getting to class on time. Everyone is way to rushed. Often times the teachers will not allow you to use the restroom in the middle of class, although you only have 4 minutes inbetween class (You have to go to your locker and go to the restroom in this time). Other than that I beleive I am getting a great education here.

Posted December 6, 2011

This school has no idea what is going on within it's own walls...there are kids who bully and even punch kids and nothing is done, the administration is just marking time and do nothing to insure students safety. The teachers give grades based on personal feelings rather than academics and when questioned about it the grade mysteriously goes up the next day. I have been involved with Cobb County schools for 30 years as a student myself and with my other children but no more, this school changed my mind and I am pulling my Daughter out and homeschooling her. You can believe what you wish but this school is out of control and very dissmissive to parents and the issues going on here, it gets worse every year. Please keep an eye on your child if you decide to send them here.

Posted March 5, 2011

Durham Middle School is so insane. Kids back talk, people are passing drugs around behind teacher's backs, and the classes are so huge! Theres about thirty kids in each classroom. The teachers are rude and never are able to keep up with grades. I hated the three years ive been at Durham. Worst years of my life.

Posted December 15, 2010

Durham is a great school its principal Georganne Young is soooo funny, I feel safe in the classroom, it is cool that every class has a smartboard

Posted April 30, 2009

It's a really good school, the teachers are very nice, and you learn a lot in a fun and easy way. There are also tons of events that you don't want to miss whe you are there!

Posted September 22, 2008

This is probably the best school I have ever attended! The technology is so cool! Keep up the good work Durham!!

Posted August 24, 2008

The principal loves to come to work. Her inspiration trickles down and is infectious. Our teachers care and are friendly. My kids actually, all 3, like school. We feel privileged to be here.

Posted August 22, 2008

Durham is very technologically advanced. We were given a multi-million dollar grant to install interactive white boards, student response systems, projectors, stereo speakers, and 30 laptops (in a cart) that are shared by 4 classes. Our school is the only middle school in the county to have this technology. We helped develop the software SMART Ideas using our SMART boards. I have seen a huge advance in learning since we got the technology last year and I love that we have it. It makes learning fun, interactive, and easier. We can do so much that it will be hard for everyone to go to high school where they still use computers from 1995!

Posted May 17, 2008

My daughter attended 6th grade for part of the year. While her teachers were excellent, the other girls were down right brutal. When I brought it to the attention of the admin, it was never resolved to my knowledge. I agree that the kids jusdge others by the clothes they wear and accessories. I think Mrs. Young is trying to do a good job but perhaps does not have the administrative staff to back her up. I sunsequently pulled my straight A daughter out before the end of the 3rd nine weeks to homeschool. She will not attend Durham again if I can help it.

Posted May 9, 2008

I attended this school my 6th and part of 7th grade years 2003-04 (?) It had been a fairly new school and it was very hard to get accepted anywhere. It was the most clique-ish school I have ever attended. The teachers get frustrated easily, the class sizes are enormous (my first day some people had to stand until they could get more desks for all the students). The school was divided into sectors like '6-A' etc making it very difficult to make multiple friends. The students mostly come from upper class white families and have a very snobby side. In fact, I can remember at least one time I went home crying because a girl was making fun of my glasses because they weren't a main stream brand (like Calvin Klein). The students are cruel and they are aware of it. I would not send my child there for anything.

Posted May 8, 2008

Parents at this school are snobs, and it reflects in the kids. We moved into this area in the last year and our kids have had great difficulty becoming accepted. The teachers seem nice, there's a new principle who's competent, the kids can be downright mean, and judge others by their clothes, ipods, and cellphones.

Posted April 13, 2008

I'm in eight grade at durham and the school has gotten better since mrs. young became principal

Posted April 4, 2008

I am a 6th grader attending Durham Middle School, it is the best! The amount of HW can be lowered if you just try in school, plus they offer FREE tutoring in the mornings for students who want to catch up. Teachers are way concerned in how the kid is doing both education wise and social wise. The teachers will do anything to make sure that you are just making what you want out of the class. I will admit that some kids choose to speak in curse words and make horrible choices.

Posted January 31, 2008

I am a sixth-grader that is currently attending durham. I am pleased with the good education, but there are some factors that lowered this school's star rating in my opinion. 1. THe homework level is overwhelming and I am slowly losing my bond between me and my parents because of the little time I have to spend with them 2. Teachers mostly show videos and let the computer do the work for them 3. The amount of kids going against the rules is so high that wherever you go a curse word is to follow. Don't get me wrong... I learn alot here but I would prefer another, more sutible school.

Posted November 10, 2007

I am a seventh grader new to the school of Durham this year and I would like to say that with a new principal (Ms.Young) our school is spectacular. we see ms young more times in one day that ms. Clark in a whole year. I am in running club at the school and mr.sinco the teacher in charge is very nice and helpful to students in running club. in my perspective the school is doing very well and although parent involvement could be higher I am not complaining.

Posted March 20, 2007

Overall I have been pleased with DMS, although I think a lot of that is because my son has had some very good teachers. The Advanced Content program is quite rigorous, and my son has learned a lot. The music program is exceptional, and the extra-curricular clubs always seem to do well in regional and state competitions. Class sizes are much more manageable now that McClure MS has opened. With the blogs, parent-teacher communication has definitely improved. My only complaint is that I would like to have more opportunities to volunteer at school.

Posted May 28, 2006

I used to work at durham and let me tell you that we are not allowed to teach the children like we want. Test scores are shoved down our throats at every chance. Classes are too big to do much in (32 plus 8 or more special needs students is allowed per class). Administration is very unsupportive of the teachers and they do not discipline the students at all. Planning time is taken up for meetings three or more days a week. The parents in the community would rather be their child's friend than parent. They do not discipline their students nor teach them right from wrong and the teachers are left powerless. Parents have several forms of communications available to them-on line grades, free student day planner that we write notes in.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 25, 2006

Presently, I have a son in the 6th grade at Durham. Overall I would give the school an above average rating. I believe the quality of education as well as the overall security is good. I do believe, and this is typical of government education, that there is poor communication or interaction from the teachers / administration to the parents is poor. If they could vastly improve that point, the school would get an overall A grade from me.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

341 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

340 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

341 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

344 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

344 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 93% in 2013.

355 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

346 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 95% in 2013.

356 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 85% in 2013.

357 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

357 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

376 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

374 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 97% in 2013.

377 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

379 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

378 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 82% in 2012.

371 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

Asian 3% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2891 Mars Hill Rd NW