Durham Middle School

Public | 6-8

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted May 25, 2006

Presently, I have a son in the 6th grade at Durham. Overall I would give the school an above average rating. I believe the quality of education as well as the overall security is good. I do believe, and this is typical of government education, that there is poor communication or interaction from the teachers / administration to the parents is poor. If they could vastly improve that point, the school would get an overall A grade from me.

Posted May 10, 2006

I am a 6th greder at durham middle finishing up the year. I am verry pleased with the exelent extracurricular activites! I am a very luckey student, for that I am in student council. I am in also in the yearbook club. I really love my pod and my 6-3 teachers. I have never had a behavior or a learning issue with the teachers. My sister is going to be in the school next year, she is thrilled. I really think some parents should talk to their children about what they do, because of some of the rude comments. I do not believe there is anything wrong with the staff of Durham.

Posted April 21, 2006

I must agree with the majority of the posts. I am a 7th grader and I have been at Durham for 2 years. Durham is an amazing school, but it cannot be any better with Dr. Clark as principal. There are barely any extracurricular activities, and virtually no downtime. I think Dr. Clark needs to go but other than that, Durham is an exceptional school.

Posted February 22, 2006

This school needs leadership. The administration is unavailable! If there is an issue, you can never address it. The teachers are wonderful with the exception of subistutes.

Posted February 1, 2006

I am in the eighth grade and this is my first year at Durham. All but one of my teachers have been wonderful, but I am not complaining, because there are bad teachers everywhere. I have learned so much this year, and I feel like my teachers are really concerned about my learning and being prepared for highschool. Before coming to Durham, I was skeptical, having heard bad reviews, but now that I am here I love it. There are several things that I do not agree with, however; it is true that nobody ever sees the principal, Dr. Clark, but the teachers are always commenting about her almost as if they are afraid of her. I also think that the Connections at Durham could improve. Overall, I think it is a good school.

Posted December 19, 2005

I currently am in the 8th grade at durham. I have to agree with the other reviews in their opinion of the principal's involvement in the school and extracurricular activities. In this schools name I have won multiple gold medals in the science olympiad competition. I have never seen the principal much less met her or recieved praise for my accomplishments. Other than this durham is an acceptional school.

Posted December 16, 2005

Durham is a good school, but its effectiveness is hampered by the worst principal I have encountered. She is invisible- I never saw her in three years of band concerts, OM meetings, etc. My daughter did not know, after three years, what the principal looked like! My student was on a team that finished very high in a state competition-without any recognition from the principal. It is a mystery why she is allowed to stay. The school succeeds in spite of her, not because of her.

Posted November 16, 2005

I am a former student of Durham, now in high school in another state. While I was there I felt safe and learned so much while having one of the best years of my life there. I was and still am a band student and loved every minute of it. I didn't know how well the school prepared me for high school until I moved in the middle of my junior high years. My new school had such a weak curriculum, I was repeating stuff I had done in elementary school! I am just now using knowledge from 6th grade in my 9th grade classes. The days spent at Durham were fun and filled with new things to learn and there was always a safe envirnoment in the school. My new middle school was detached from its students, unlike the teachers I had at Durham. Durham is a wonderful school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 19, 2005

The teachers at Durham are hard-working and caring professionals. It is unfortunate that they have to work under a principal that is so uncaring about the students in her school. Dr. Clark is never seen by parents, students or interested community leaders. Cobb has a great system and wonderful teachers, it is just too bad that this principal has not been replaced.

Posted July 24, 2005

I do not feel this school nor its' management truly cares about the children and their education and their feelings. Teachers have belittled my child and have not received any discipline action. Teachers don't believe in staying late or coming in early for extra help and they teach the kids to memorize and spit the material back out-NOT TO LEARN. They are too busy worrying about the standardized test scores and covering material for those tests. It has long been my belief that the schools in Cobb and this one included have too wide a curriculum and don't spend enough time on any one thing for the kids to learn it. The classes are too big and too much pressure and homework and nonsense projects are given to the kids. I am not pleased with the educational system at Durham nor the principal and management

Posted April 25, 2005

We have been very UNhappy with Durham Middle. There is no accountability for the teachers and I've never seen the Principal - nor has my son -who has been there for 2 years. My son says he wouldn't know her if she walked up to him. We complained about the lack of communication between the Administration and Parents and were informed that they are trying to make the kids responsible for themselves. Meanwhile, on various occasions with various teachers my sons homework has been 'lost' by irresponsible teachers who can't account for work we know was done - we oversaw the progress. Seems to us they capitalize on parents being too busy to be involved. Good luck getting them to return phone calls and you sure won't get a response from a note to the teachers. You'll have to go over their heads to the Assistant Principal. (Not the Principal).

Posted March 12, 2005

The teachers really show a genuine interest in the kids. My daughter was struggling with lesson and my wife and I were immediately informed. Thus, allowing the parents and the teacher to work together with recovery plan. If, I had to say anything negative it would be around the fact that the school does not embrace diversity and cultural awareness. The world is now global and we must start teaching our kids about other cultures.

Posted February 7, 2005

This school is awsome. My student goes to this school and is in the band class. She is so happy and always comments that the teacher, Ms. Rickard, is great. Since this is her 8th grade year she says that she'll miss the school because she never had to worry about her safety. Teachers keep me up-to-date on her progress and since going there she hasn't failed to be a honor student. I'm really proud of the teachers and Dr. Clark, principal, there really nice and care about my students future.

Posted January 7, 2005

Teachers are very organized and patient. The principal, dr. Clark, is the best out there.

Posted July 13, 2004

This School is ok, but definitly could do better.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

341 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

340 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

341 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

344 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

344 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 93% in 2013.

355 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

346 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 95% in 2013.

356 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 85% in 2013.

357 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

357 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

376 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

374 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 97% in 2013.

377 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

379 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

378 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 82% in 2012.

371 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2891 Mars Hill Rd NW