Westover High School

Public | 9-12 | 1200 students

Posted July 12, 2012

Best school in the state, BEst schhol in the land One test ONe time No Excuses NO Exceptions

Posted March 7, 2012

Best school in the system best school in the state. One test one time alright.

Posted October 8, 2009

Westove is truely a wonderful school! My son is an athelete and the couching staff takes great care of him. I didn't mention acedemics first, b/c the are so stable. I believe it's a great schoo!

Posted October 3, 2009

I attended WHS in the 70's and I have been a successful businessman for many years. My daughter graduated from in 2002 and received her Masters from VSU with honors. My son graduated in 2005 and is an honor graduate from Ga. Tech. My other son graduated on 2008 and is an honor student at UGA. There is nothing wrong with the the education they received at Westover High School.

Posted October 15, 2008

Very disciplined school with the best kids in dougherty county

Posted December 9, 2007

I am a graduating college senior and former student of Westover High School. Not only did this school prepare me academically but also socially. Many problems and encounters I experienced with those in authority (teachers and administrators) exposed me to challenges within not only the workforce but also life in general. I feel that I gained MORE than a honors high school diploma but also an advantage over those entering the real world along with me. From racial issues to being able to defend what I felt was right as a student, Westover exposed me to it all! I was able to gain friendships that are to this day stronger than ever and I also left with memories that will last a lifetime! I will forever be greatful for this experience and will cherish it for the rest of my life!

Posted September 13, 2007

Eventhough I'm a somore at Westover I love it already. All my teachers are realy nice and I feel like I did at my middle school, Merry Acers.

Posted November 25, 2005

I am a senior at Westover Comprehensive High School and I strongly feel that no other high school in all of Dougherty County could have better prepared me for success. The school truly reflects the city of Albany. The student body is 75 percent black, but we are also exposed to a great variety of people which I feel is a tool that the other three high schools lack. The Marching Patriots are currently the best band in the city and our basketball team is very well known for its success and numerous state championships. Our school gets bad press from the media, but I still highly recommend Westover over any high school in Albany.

Posted June 27, 2005

I'm sure the curriculum (county wide) is challenging enough. It 04-05 was my child's first year in high school, but she felt more challenged in middle school (when we lived in Charlotte, NC. The vast majority of the teachers have high expectations and teach to those expectations. There are a few who claim to have expectations but do not teach. There is great parental involvement when it comes to sports e.g basketball, football, and soccer. I think parental involvement school wide would be better if the principal were open to the idea. Communications from the school are few and far between, which I think is critical when you have teenagers who don't always want you up at the school. Discipline is good. I've walked in the school many times and seen only a few students in the hallways. Those I've see weren't lingering around. The principal is very accessible.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

323 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2011.

304 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 93% in 2011.

323 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 80% in 2011.

324 students were tested at this school in 2011.

2009

Scale: % at or above passing

In 2010-2011 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Graduation Test (GHSGT) in English language arts, math, science and social studies to students in grade 11. The GHSGT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass all parts of the GHSGT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 95% in 2013.

233 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Writing Test (GHSWT) to students in grade 11. The GHSWT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass the GHSWT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

282 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

241 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

293 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

269 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

10 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

287 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

228 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

308 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2600 Partridge Dr