Holcomb Bridge Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 715 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 6, 2014

I am the parent of a 6th grader at Holcomb Bridge Middle School. My child is not in the gifted program, however; she is a hardworking high-achieving student making all A's and an occasional B. Unfortunately, she is stuck in all on-level classes and the children with whom she shares the classes are AWFUL. They disrupt the class. They talk back to the teacher. They use profanity and are hyper-sexual. They don't care about their grades. The stories I hear from my daughter are unbelievable. She is getting a complete and thorough education on ghetto-speak and 6th grade-versions of human-sexuality, but I worry that her education in math, language-arts, science etcetera is being severely sacrificed. If I could afford it, she would be in a private school TOMORROW. I regret purchasing my house but I am in no position to sell it right now. I feel like my daughter is trapped in a terrible place~when I drop her off every morning I feel terribly guilty.

Posted April 2, 2014

My son has been in 3 fights 2 of witch were self defence.the w1 that wasnt was that his freind was being bullied and my son beat up the bully for being a bully to everyone. When it was self defence he got supcended for 10 days. That is not right. This is a very bad enveriment for a kid. I went up to the school one day and I found bugs all over the school. That is disgusting.

Posted August 6, 2013

HBMS has a lot of improving to do. We are a new family to the area and thought we were going to give our children a good public school education. Unfortunately, our child has encountered many problems at the school (bullying on 2 to 3 different accounts, another student stealing an item, being wrongly disciplined (ISS) for wearing a shirt outside of a pair of pants when a warning should have been issued for a 1st time offense instead, being yelled at by a teacher on a continuos basis where removal from the class was necessary,etc.) It's just too many to count! And my child is an A/B student with no record of disciplinary actions. Talk about disappointment! I hear that the school experience is better if your child is placed in TAG classes so they can be with other students who want to learn but if you are coming from a private school, that is not an option until the school test your child, which takes a while further robbing your child of a wonderful school experience. Sure wish we had done our research a little better and not moved into this school zone. Haynes Bridge and Autrey Mills are must better rated.

Posted February 9, 2013

We moved here from DeKalb County to give our two daughters a better school. So far we a very pleased with the school, the staff and the curriculum. We are heavily involved in activites and communicate with their teachers on a regular basis. Parents, make the most of your child's education - get involved and I guarantee you'll see results. You can't simply throw your child on the bus and expect a miracle.

Posted September 11, 2012

This school is terrible Im a student and NO STUDENT in this school likes this school Teachers are lazy . Bathrooms very nasty Most of the teachers your child wont like , They stay on the students (in a bad way) there's alot of drama and the teachers do not, do anything about it . I truly cant wait til I graduate because I HATE this school since 6th grade DON'T waste your time with this school its not worth it. If we could go to another school 98.9% of the school would be gone . Everyone hates this school mostly the 8th graders we HATE it !

Posted September 7, 2012

This is my daughter's first year at HBMS and she loves it. The teachers are great, I really like the Principal (professional, caring, and no-nonsense), there is a lot of student diversity, the VP's are very responsive to emails and just taking care of any concerns you may have about your child, not out of control when it comes to homework, and a lot of parent involvement. She has not gotten involved in any after school activities yet, but there is a lot to chose from.

Posted April 24, 2010

This has been a great school for our family My daughter went to HBMS and is now attending Stanford University! My son is currently attending HBMS and has been positively motivated bgy the staff and child centered policies and is now earning top grades.

Posted March 24, 2010

This school is terrible. I felt bad that my son went here. We moved out of the district and my son is thriving. The administration is a joke and provides absolutely no leadership.

Posted November 8, 2009

This school has been excellent for our children. We have one child in 8th grade and another one in 6th. Our son in 6th grade is a special needs child and has Asperger's. The Administration has been supportive and partnered with us so very well. We feel like our children are safe there and that their interest are of most importance. Joy Schroerlucke Deserves a Nobel prize for all she has contributed to this school and the children that go there. She is very realistic and honest which is rare to find among the bureaucratic system of Education.

Posted April 6, 2009

My third child is attending HBMS and he is very happy there as am I. His teachers have been very attentive to my emails and very supportive to him. The school is very clean, and the teachers have a long tenure there. The new principal is very positive.

Posted October 23, 2008

Holcome Bridge is full of gangs and violence no one schould attend this school. My child was there for one month and we left as soon as we could!

Posted May 5, 2008

I am disappointed with Holcomb Bridge this school year. I am also disappointed with the teachers as well. I am moving my daughter from this school.

Posted September 25, 2007

Our son is an eighth-grade student. We have seen the school grow under the leadership of new principal, Joy Schroerlucke. The school has Professional Learning Communities, a Graduation Coach, and has made significant strides in the direction of being child-centered and student focused. Our son has played football, participated in the Jr. Beta Club, sang in the Chorus, learned to speak Spanish, and by and large has had excellent and caring teachers. We believe that he has been well prepared to be successful in high school.

Posted August 26, 2007

I am a student at Holcomb Bridge MS and in my opinion it's in pretty good condition , considering that a many of the teachers attended here when they were of age. However, I do think that they are way too strict with they're rules and they need to pay less attention to behavior and start focussing on academics, test scores, and remodeling our school. I think that with more parent and administratve involvement Holcomb Bridge MS could be a pretty nice school, somewhere that a student would be more than proud to attend!

Posted April 21, 2007

I am in 7th Grade and I absolutely love the school! In my 6th grade year our principal was so much better and had to school under control. This year the principal is not as good but the assistant pricipals are keeping the whole school together. I have made so many friends and made so many good relationships with teachers. If you are at all concerned about the school... don't!!! Most of the kids I know are either in TAG or Advanced Classes. We get enough homework where we are not gping free but yet be were not being burdened. I had a great experience and I know your child will! Extracuricular programs are great, especially for plays or Jr. Beta. Cootos to Mr. Steck :)

Posted May 14, 2006

Our daughter will be graduating from hbms later this month. We have had nothing but positive experiences at hbms. Our daughter is quad tag and we feel that that may have put her at an advantage, mostly being with other kids that want to learn. There have been no lack of extra curricular activities for her to participate in, and the dedication of the teachers has been very inspiring. Teachers are willing to meet before school and stay after school to help if she's struggling. There is also much teacher involvement with the fantastic musicals, the talent show, the yearbook, and fca, just to name a few activities. If we had to do it all over again our daughter would attend hbms. She has had a very positive experience!

Posted March 17, 2006

My son is finishing the 8th grade at Holcomb Bridge MS and I am looking forward to his graduation so that we will not have to deal with this school anymore. The administration staff and teachers are more focused on meeting 'standards' that actually teaching. As the others reviewer pointed out, petty/minor infractions are over responded to and major incidents, like stolen books. Therefore, if you have a choice, choose another school.

Posted February 5, 2006

As a parent of two students that have attended HBMS I must say there is a lot to be desired. It is my opinion that many of the teachers are inferior and are just working for a paycheck. The principals are more concerned with getting rid of students who don't make the desired scores on standardized test. This school has poorer ratings for standardized tests than there counterparts.The aministration refuses to accept any responsbility for this problem, rather they use the progressive steps of discipline to penalize students to tribunal hearing for alternative placement. Please be warned that many of the infractions used may be as petty as horseplaying in the hallway, forgetting to bring agendas to class, playing with whoopie cushions and the like. It is my contention that they are in jeopardy of being classifed as a failing school and are now desperate to rid themselves of 'average' students.

Posted February 5, 2006

I have been a student at Holcomb Bridge for 3 years. I must say that HBMS is a school for socializing, but there are not mnany extracurricular activites to join. Teachers are more concerned with being the students friend than teaching them. From my experience HBMS is a poor learning enviroment. In my opinion the administration tries to cover up a lot of the negative things that happen on the school grounds. They are afraid if parents really knew what is going on at the school they would remove their children. In my professional student opinion on the scale of 1 to 10, HBMS is at best a 4.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

257 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

256 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

257 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

264 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

263 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 93% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

250 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 95% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 85% in 2013.

251 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 97% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

271 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

271 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 82% in 2012.

212 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

27 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

Asian 2% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

Music
  • Choir / Chorus

Health & athletics

• Gym

• Joy Schroerlucke
Fax number
  • (770) 643-3333

Staff resources available to students
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

Arts & music

Music
  • Choir / Chorus
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2700 Holcomb Bridge Rd