No rating

McGinnis Woods Country Day School

Private | PK-8

Living in Alpharetta

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $316,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $960.

Posted April 28, 2014

Since transferring to MWCDS two years ago, our son's test scores have shot through the roof. A recent test showed his reading skills at a grade equivalency score of 6.2 - not bad for a 2nd grader! - and math isn't far behind. No way he'd be anywhere close to this if we'd stayed in the public elementary school. Our only regret is that we didn't make the move to McGinnis Woods sooner. High marks for the administration and faculty. The amenities are not plentiful or outstanding but some areas are being addressed - a new gym and middle school classroom facility is under construction and will be ready for the '14 / '15 school year. This will be a big step forward for McGinnis Woods. We're looking forward to several more years of great education from MWCDS!

Posted April 24, 2014

It pains me to see how sites such as this one have become venting grounds for individuals who are vindictive and spoiled. While it is true that not everyone's experience is the same, those who post negative commentary should really take a moment to validate what they say with examples. Is the school perfect, by no means. However, show me a "perfect" school and I will be the first to enroll. What McGinnis does offer is a solid education that is geared toward your child in a loving and nurturing environment. Yes it does not have the sleek and fancy look other schools take pride in because the owners do not believe "fancy" translates to educated! What McGinnis does have is genuine, down to earth caring teachers and staff that know children by name, know their strengths and weaknesses, know when to push them harder because they believe in them, and know when a little hand holding is needed and launching is a must. McGinnis Woods has provided my children with a challenging curriculum, taught them how to be outstanding citizens, and allowed them to test every sport offered. I highly recommend this school.

Posted April 24, 2014

My children have attended McGinnis Woods in both the preschool and the elementary school and I could not be more proud of the decision we have made to have our children attend this school. From the very beginning, McGinnis has felt like not only a school--but also a family! All the teachers in both schools know my children, talk to them about their class work and invest in their lives. the curriculum is excellent--and my older children have had their love of learning fostered in this environment. Low teacher/student ratios help make sure each child gets attention and learning at their level. My children are learning levels above standard curriculum and most importantly have had confidence instilled. McGinnis gives the students a passion to excel--and I have seen it first hand!!

Posted February 19, 2014

We love this school! It's not just a school, it's a family that provides students a safe and nurturing environment. A home away from home where our children are given an opportunity to learn at there own pace. You definitely get what you pay for with regards to student/teacher ratio. Professional teachers with minimal turnover. In such a small setting and to be able to see the same teachers year after year really says something about management. A principal that is always approachable. While there is always room for improvement in each and every school, our experience has us believing that McGinnis Woods is always striving to make changes that will only benefit the students. If you are looking for a school that provides a well rounded curriculum, a safe and friendly environment.....McGinnis Woods was our choice and we feel compelled to share our positive experience with others.

Posted February 13, 2014

McGinnis Woods provides a safe and high quality learning evironment. My child is in the middle school and since joining McGinnis Woods has improved his study skills, reading comprehension and focus on his academics in general. He has not experienced any bullying and has developed a really nice group of friends.

Posted February 4, 2014

Teachers can't do anything if MGMT is not good.My child attended this school for 2 years, I continued my child there for convenience because it is not far, not because school is very great. Academics are OK not great, but no GYM, no sports fields,music program is the worst, no concerts.For the fee that they collect they should be doing a lot more. Management is money minded, a lot of fund raising and unnecessary activities/events that require parents attendance, they spend more time on stuff that is not required rather than useful things, PA board members/parents hang out in the school all the time creating a noisy environment, campus itself is so small and we see these parents all the time, some parents give gifts to teachers all the time, influencing them to like their kids,Spelling Bee is not conducted openly on stage like the real spelling bee competition where all parents could attend(they can conduct in a tent if they want but I guess for them other things are important which bring in more funds), I don't know if they have Math League & Oratorical from 2nd grade onwards. they do the same routine stuff every year, nothing new. I guess Management doesn't like to spend money.

Posted September 20, 2013

The management only cares about the money. The facility is substandard and unclean. The staff is unprofessional and not accommodating. My child has gone home dirty and one day didn't get fed. Nobody knew why.

Posted January 6, 2012

I didn't even know this site existed until recently. Many people only go to places like this to post negative things. Those of us who are happy fail to do so. At this school, I think "happy" is the majority. McGinnis Woods is a unique place to send your child. The class sizes are small(we only have 14 but have never had more than 18 with 2 teachers). The curriculum is modified to the needs of the students. My child is advanced and she is not limited to the curriculum of her grade nor is she taught to any "test". Our teachers have been nothing but awesome. The open door policy allows me to keep tabs on my child's progress continuously. It is nice year after year to see the same teacher faces(give or take moving/pregnancy). I am pleased that all the teachers and most assistants are certified. I am not sure what one of the prior comments was referring too about lack of certification. I find the principal approachable and responsive to any issues I have had over the last many years. My child continues to thrive in this environment. No school is perfect but I don't think I could do better for my child in all the ways that matter. Come see for yourself.

Posted January 5, 2012

I recently became aware of some of the negative reviews on this site about McGinnis Woods and wanted to share my experience. My child has been at the elementary school since pre-school. The PROS of the school are: execellent curriculum, small classes (the most student we have had is 19 and every class has two teachers), warm community environment, monthly field trips, spanish, science, library including in PreK and a school nurse. Also, parents are welcome in the school at all times to volunteer. The cons would be: small classes (so if you are looking for your child to have 100 friends in their class this isn't for you). Also, the school doesn't have a gym, but I give credit to the PE Coach who has done a great job with artifical turf field and multi-sport court and putting together a winning after school soccer team for the upper grades. In addition, the school has a small cafetria and limited space for assembly type events. It seems to work for the students but it can be a challenge for parents who want to come and watch. Lastly the school lunch program changed this year so if you are used to hot lunches included in tuition, it is scaled down three days a week.

Posted January 5, 2012

It's very sad to me that these sites are used for the wrong reasons. McGinnis Woods always has been and always will be an exemplary school. It's unfortunate that previous disgrunteled employees use this site under false pretences. My child attended this school from the preschool all the way through to middle school and it was the best decision we ever made. Please choose for yourself! Go visit the school and make your own decision. Not based on inaccurate information that is very misleading.

Posted January 4, 2012

Not really anything positive I can say about the preschool and will not give the elementary school a chance.

Posted December 17, 2011

Great school and a wonderful learning environment for my 2 kids who attend this school. The principal is an asset she is very helpful in guiding parents and children. I would recommend this school to anybody!

Posted November 29, 2011

We left MW after we watched quality, certified teachers bullied and forced to leave the school. The educational standards at this school are really just smoke and mirrors and the administration is ONLY concerned with money. The curriculum is out dated at best and teachers are not held to the same standards across the board. The children are not nurtured, but coddled to the point that often functioning in a non MW setting is impossible. We are glad we pulled our child from MW.

Posted November 28, 2011

As a parent who has finally had enough--I must say what am I paying for? Our favorite and I must say, only certified, teachers have all left in DROVES, and now my children, are being led by highly unqualified and highly unsupervised individuals. The education is sub par and the curriculum is outdated. I gave a bucket of money to build a gym which still sits un built-where is my money? The parents want answers..DO NOT BRING YOUR CHILDREN HERE--until this school realizes that our children need quality teachers and a quality education and its principal and owners are in desperate need of a wake up call--I feel that MCGW will still be a glorified daycare--

Posted October 27, 2011

** MANY OF THE REVIEWS HERE ARE FROM MW ADMINSTRATORS! Having been a parent with a student at MW for 4 years, it pains me to only write a review at the point when I have most disillusioned with our experience there. A lot of people are trying very hard to create a good school environment. However, I find that the quality of that experience for my child has declined to the point where I am questioning our decision to attend. There is a set of teachers who have been allowed to display petty and unprofessional behavior, and the principal picks and chooses whose feet she will or won't hold to the fire. We all know that many primary grade teachers are not fully functioning adults. We rely on uniformly applied policies and discipline to prevent this from becoming problems with the parents or - God forbid - with your child at a personal level. The "I'll show you!" attitude has been allowed to take root at MW. You will not be able to take exception with much of what the teachers do, as retaliation is now an allowable response. As a school that relies on checks coming in from the parents each month, I suspect that they are going to have financial troubles in the near future.

Posted January 10, 2011

My 2 children have been at McGinnis Woods since they were infants. The Pre-School provided a warm and nurturing environment where both of my children thrived. Now they are both in the elementary school. The specials classes are amazing: computer, library, Spanish, health, PE, music/band, and art! We are so lucky to have those classes! Special events like: International Night, Family Math and Science Night, Family Valentine's Dance, and Screen on the Green are days we look forward to every year! The teachers and staff are wonderful and strive to meet each child's individual needs. I love that the school has a very active Parent Association! The schools motto is "Inspiring Students with the Passion to Excel" and you can truly see that the teachers strive to do that each and every day!

Posted November 5, 2010

This is our daughter's first year at McGinnis Woods - she is in the 5th grade and although we wanted to make the move to private school we wondered how the transition would be for her. I'm thrilled to say that it has been smooth and our daughter is happy and doing well. We personally couldn't be happier with the level of support, competence and involvement we've seen demonstrated by everyone we've come into contact with at that school. We highly recommend it to anyone looking for a quality private school education for their children.

Posted May 3, 2010

I was looking for a good private school education for my kids when I enrolled them in Mcginnis woods reading some good reviews that I doubt now. The principal makes and breaks rules as per her needs and the focus has been entirely on generating revenues than on education. I do not think the school provides a healthy learning environment for kids to grow and for parents to have any say in their childs education.

Posted April 27, 2010

McGinnis Woods is an exceptional educational environment. The Administration, teachers and staff are caring, involved and nurturing. We love McGinnis Woods!

Posted March 31, 2010

I have 2 children in the preschool at MWCDS and have been at the school for almost 3 years. I could not ask for a more caring, devoted staff and management. My children are excited about coming to school and have learned so much. I had planned for my children to attend the preschool and than go to public school when they each turned 4. the preschool has been so wonderful, we will do everything possible to continue to on to the elem. school.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 39% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

School start time
  • 8:30 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school