Alpharetta, GA
Before care: Yes

Posted April 28, 2014
Since transferring to MWCDS two years ago, our son's test scores have shot through the roof. A recent test showed his reading skills at a grade equivalency score of 6.2 - not bad for a 2nd grader! - and math isn't far behind. No way he'd be anywhere close to this if we'd stayed in the public elementary school. Our only regret is that we didn't make the move to McGinnis Woods sooner. High marks for the administration and faculty. The amenities are not plentiful or outstanding but some areas are being addressed - a new gym and middle school classroom facility is under construction and will be ready for the '14 / '15 school year. This will be a big step forward for McGinnis Woods. We're looking forward to several more years of great education from MWCDS!

Posted April 24, 2014
It pains me to see how sites such as this one have become venting grounds for individuals who are vindictive and spoiled. While it is true that not everyone's experience is the same, those who post negative commentary should really take a moment to validate what they say with examples. Is the school perfect, by no means. However, show me a "perfect" school and I will be the first to enroll. What McGinnis does offer is a solid education that is geared toward your child in a loving and nurturing environment. Yes it does not have the sleek and fancy look other schools take pride in because the owners do not believe "fancy" translates to educated! What McGinnis does have is genuine, down to earth caring teachers and staff that know children by name, know their strengths and weaknesses, know when to push them harder because they believe in them, and know when a little hand holding is needed and launching is a must. McGinnis Woods has provided my children with a challenging curriculum, taught them how to be outstanding citizens, and allowed them to test every sport offered. I highly recommend this school.

Posted April 24, 2014
My children have attended McGinnis Woods in both the preschool and the elementary school and I could not be more proud of the decision we have made to have our children attend this school. From the very beginning, McGinnis has felt like not only a school--but also a family! All the teachers in both schools know my children, talk to them about their class work and invest in their lives. the curriculum is excellent--and my older children have had their love of learning fostered in this environment. Low teacher/student ratios help make sure each child gets attention and learning at their level. My children are learning levels above standard curriculum and most importantly have had confidence instilled. McGinnis gives the students a passion to excel--and I have seen it first hand!!

Posted February 19, 2014
We love this school! It's not just a school, it's a family that provides students a safe and nurturing environment. A home away from home where our children are given an opportunity to learn at there own pace. You definitely get what you pay for with regards to student/teacher ratio. Professional teachers with minimal turnover. In such a small setting and to be able to see the same teachers year after year really says something about management. A principal that is always approachable. While there is always room for improvement in each and every school, our experience has us believing that McGinnis Woods is always striving to make changes that will only benefit the students. If you are looking for a school that provides a well rounded curriculum, a safe and friendly environment.....McGinnis Woods was our choice and we feel compelled to share our positive experience with others.

Posted February 13, 2014
McGinnis Woods provides a safe and high quality learning evironment. My child is in the middle school and since joining McGinnis Woods has improved his study skills, reading comprehension and focus on his academics in general. He has not experienced any bullying and has developed a really nice group of friends.

McGinnis Woods Country Day School 3

Posted February 04, 2014
Teachers can't do anything if MGMT is not good.My child attended this school for 2 years, I continued my child there for convenience because it is not far, not because school is very great. Academics are OK not great, but no GYM, no sports fields,music program is the worst, no concerts.For the fee that they collect they should be doing a lot more. Management is money minded, a lot of fund raising and unnecessary activities/events that require parents attendance, they spend more time on stuff that is not required rather than useful things, PA board members/parents hang out in the school all the time creating a noisy environment, campus itself is so small and we see these parents all the time, some parents give gifts to teachers all the time, influencing them to like their kids,Spelling Bee is not conducted openly on stage like the real spelling bee competition where all parents could attend(they can conduct in a tent if they want but I guess for them other things are important which bring in more funds), I don't know if they have Math League & Oratorical from 2nd grade onwards. they do the same routine stuff every year, nothing new. I guess Management doesn't like to spend money.

McGinnis Woods Country Day School 1

Posted September 20, 2013
The management only cares about the money. The facility is substandard and unclean. The staff is unprofessional and not accommodating. My child has gone home dirty and one day didn't get fed. Nobody knew why.

Posted January 06, 2012
I didn't even know this site existed until recently. Many people only go to places like this to post negative things. Those of us who are happy fail to do so. At this school, I think "happy" is the majority. McGinnis Woods is a unique place to send your child. The class sizes are small(we only have 14 but have never had more than 18 with 2 teachers). The curriculum is modified to the needs of the students. My child is advanced and she is not limited to the curriculum of her grade nor is she taught to any "test". Our teachers have been nothing but awesome. The open door policy allows me to keep tabs on my child's progress continuously. It is nice year after year to see the same teacher faces(give or take moving/pregnancy). I am pleased that all the teachers and most assistants are certified. I am not sure what one of the prior comments was referring too about lack of certification. I find the principal approachable and responsive to any issues I have had over the last many years. My child continues to thrive in this environment. No school is perfect but I don't think I could do better for my child in all the ways that matter. Come see for yourself.

Posted January 05, 2012
I recently became aware of some of the negative reviews on this site about McGinnis Woods and wanted to share my experience. My child has been at the elementary school since pre-school. The PROS of the school are: execellent curriculum, small classes (the most student we have had is 19 and every class has two teachers), warm community environment, monthly field trips, spanish, science, library including in PreK and a school nurse. Also, parents are welcome in the school at all times to volunteer. The cons would be: small classes (so if you are looking for your child to have 100 friends in their class this isn't for you). Also, the school doesn't have a gym, but I give credit to the PE Coach who has done a great job with artifical turf field and multi-sport court and putting together a winning after school soccer team for the upper grades. In addition, the school has a small cafetria and limited space for assembly type events. It seems to work for the students but it can be a challenge for parents who want to come and watch. Lastly the school lunch program changed this year so if you are used to hot lunches included in tuition, it is scaled down three days a week.

Posted January 05, 2012
It's very sad to me that these sites are used for the wrong reasons. McGinnis Woods always has been and always will be an exemplary school. It's unfortunate that previous disgrunteled employees use this site under false pretences. My child attended this school from the preschool all the way through to middle school and it was the best decision we ever made. Please choose for yourself! Go visit the school and make your own decision. Not based on inaccurate information that is very misleading.

McGinnis Woods Country Day School
5368 McGinnis Ferry Road, Alpharetta, GA  30005
Last modified McGinnis Woods Country Day School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
McGinnis Woods Country Day School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 58 reviews. Top