Amana Academy

Charter | K-8 | 700 students

Harvard-based Expeditionary Learning approach

Posted August 19, 2011

Amana Academy is such an amazing school. My children have been going their since it first opened. My son is now a sophomore at Roswell High School. His transition last year from Amana to Roswell went by smoothly and he never struggled in any of his honors classes. My daughter is now in 7th grade and in TAG and loves going to school everyday. The middle school teachers are really amazing. I have been on many of the field studies and believe me they study and learn a lot. We are a very environmentally friendly school. Amana has many clubs and sports to choose from. Please do your children a favor by not listening to gossip when choosing your school. When your child can't wait to go to school everyday you will know they are in the right school.

Posted August 18, 2011

This is an Excellent school! My daughter graduated from Amana Academy and was so advanced she will graduate High School a year early. My younger children attend Amana and are thriving. I love this school and recommend it to any parents who are looking for a school with the right balance of educational excellence and nuturing.

Posted August 18, 2011

Amana has shown my family how a holistic school model that focuses on the environment, character and excellence leads to true student achievement. My son is thriving at this school. He loves the inclusive environment. We love the teachers, the amazing leadership, the parent organization and the positive energy. He has achieved nothing but the highest grades for five years in a row! 5 stars all the way!

Posted August 18, 2011

Amana has so many great aspects and accomplishments. The greatness starts at the top with the Executive Director and never stops! The teachers are fantastic and are highly educated. The environment is one of community and family. Parents are greatly involved on many levels. The education is superior and accomplished. I have definitely made the right decision by sending my child here, where she has thrived.

Posted May 25, 2011

I teach middle school at Amana. Below, please find my response to Mr. or Ms. April 27, which I hope you will find more useful than April 27's rant: "The Students Are Not Smart"-- Please refer to this year's CRCT scores. They will be available on Fulton County's website soon. You will find us at the top. "The students all have ADD"--Not even close to true, and I am also offended that this medical term would be used as an insult. Everyone learns differently, and we welcome that diversity. "The Students Are Disrespectful"-- They're teenagers, so sometimes this is true. But we use these mistakes as teachable moments and correct our students in a positive way. Major discipline infractions are handled in accordance with our official policies. And no, we're not going to tell you how we disciplined a child that is not yours. "The school is loud at any given moment": Yes, because the students are leading the class and working in groups. They are engaged, involved, and motivated. "The teachers dress and look like bums"--A put-down to those who are homeless, and also untrue. Typical "teacher wear" in MS includes: dress pants, nice blouses, jackets, dresses, skirts, and suits.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 10, 2011

In response to the comment from April 27th: The school has more than 500 students, a waitlist, enthusiastic parents, students and teachers, and many of us parents have put their kids into Amana to NOT have a streamlined, one-size-fits-it-all, work sheet drilled student that other schools produce. My husband is a top level recruiter who sees the outcome of various educational models every day, and we feel that Amana with its Expeditionary Learning, which is naturally hands-on, active and also verbal, its unique approach and also its understanding of child and adolescent development serves the kids better than the mainstream educational system. The school prepares students for the challenges of the future in a globalized world better than our local school which supposedly is a "good school", just that it does not challenge the kids to think, question and be creative thinkers. Furthermore, the school actively teaches citizenship and respectful behavior. I wish that comments on this website at least were respectful towards the children and the teachers who work there, even if one doesn't like the educational model of the school.

Posted April 27, 2011

This school is a big joke. The middle school students are not smart at all. Not to mention, the teachers dress and look like bums. This school gives a big presentation to get you in there and if you are an involved parent, then you will see how horrible the school really is. They don't discipline the horribly behaved children or teach the kids to respect adults. I have never seen anything like this before. If there was a better staff and teachers, then this school could be a good one. Then the lady in the front is doing like 10 jobs at once. This school is loud at any given moment. I just cannot believe that this school is still operating and the ones that like this school cannot possibly be involved parents. This school would be better if they hired some better teachers and got a hold on their horrible kids; most of which seem to have A.D.D or some type of behavoir problem. If you love your children, do not send them to Amana.

Posted April 17, 2011

I am an Amana middle school student right now and I love my school! I wouldn't trade this school for any other because the teachers really care about us. I know my school is small and other kids complain because they don't think it's cool, but the more I look at other schools the more I know how special it is to be here. It is so great to have separate boy/girl classes and I get to go on so many trips that other kids never take. I wish it went through highschool.

Posted March 19, 2011

This is a great school because of the wonderful people however it has a very bad education. I took pre-algebra in 7th grade in my old school and when I moved to this school was forced to repeat it because they did not offer Algebra 1. It is also behind in science. I think the education in middle school is very bad. I had a very hard time in the beginning of 9th grade in honor classes because many of the other students had already done the main concepts of the course.This school also did not offer any extra clubs/ competitions however they have recently started some such as Science Olympiad and National History Day. It is not a good school for gifted/talented students as it has a weak education system. -Current high school student ( went to eighth grade in Amana)

Posted March 8, 2011

This is not a paid comment so Amana Academy is not going to get a 5 stars rating. Very few parents are happy with Amana but majority of them are unhappy and are pulling thier kids out of the school mostly because of academic reasons. Amana means "TRUST" but you cannot trust on school administration , School staff and the board ao i think the name of the school should be changed to Misamana Academy (Mistrust Academy). You will regret if you send your kid to this school. There are better options out there. Research and talk to others before you decide for your kid"s future. This is a sincere advice to save people from getting hurt.

Posted March 4, 2011

I'm a Amana Middle School Parent. Non- Arabic, all-American. So, I'm not sure what the last comment was about. If you want a serious academic environment, besides the bonus privilege of your child learning such a difficult and different language like Arabic. My child has been there since 5th grade, and we have not regretted once placing him/her there for Middle School years. The separate-gender classrooms in middle school year, yes, is different from regular schools, but that shows that students are there to really focus on learning, and not in mingling, dating, etc. The parent/teacher communication on that school is amazing! All teachers AND faculty knows your child and You by name, and I mean every single one of us.. And you always know what projects, or material they are studying. No matter what race or religion you are. They are very smart teachers and Faculty, and it shows! And the courtesy to deal with parents and students are beyond anything other schools have had it the past for us. We are extremely happy and proud, as is my child, to be part of Amana Academy.

Posted January 27, 2011

I am a parent of an Amana student and couldn't be more pleased. The school has a wonderful combination of strong leadership, parent involvement, great teachers, and diversity. The facilities could use some improvement (especially the gym area), but that is to be expected for such a fairly new establishment. Amana is very transparent and communicates effectively with parents. Homework is challenging for the appropriate grade levels. I am not aware of any school that has done as much as Amana in its 5 years of establishment.

Posted September 16, 2010

This school is a gem. It is nothing like other public schools. The teachers pour their heart and soul into making this small school successful and giving every child the best foundation possible. It is like one big family and your child is not just another number. The ethnic and religious diversity of the school is a true reflection of the real world. Having your children exposed to such diversity and the respect all cultures taught at the school is invaluable. I am so happy I found this school for my daughter.

Posted July 22, 2010

I moved to Fulton County from Cobb five years ago to start my children in Amana Academy the year it opened. I have never once regretted that decision. Amana Academy is a trailblazer of a school. It instituted an Expeditionary Learning model that reminds me of the Montessori school I attended as a child. The children are inculcated with a love of learning based on an exploratory approach that involves their senses and whole beings in the process. The teachers are top notch, the administration is richly qualified and highly skilled. The environment is peaceful and encouraging, and the school radiates the ideals we all wish were prevalent in our society at large. My ONLY complaint about Amana is that they don't have a high school. If they did, you can believe that my children, who were both promoted out of Amana's 8th grade, would be attending there.

Posted July 1, 2010

This school was very disappointing. It would be 10x better if it weren't for the teachers. The administration has a good take on things, but my daughter and her friends complained A LOT about the teachers. I set up conferences with them and nothing helped. The usual complaints were about discrimination, favoritism, and overall rudeness. The school has a large Arab/Muslim population, so if your child attends, they're likey to become subject to alot favoritism if they aren't Arab or Muslim. My daughter always talked about how they were treated better than the Christians or white/black/other children. She could be over-exaggerating, but shes never been a liar, so i believe her. I took her out of the school.

Posted November 7, 2009

Amana Academy is an amazing place to send your children. I have three children here.(one in 8th grade, one in 2nd grade, and one in KG) My 8th grader has grown so much since we enrolled her in 5th grade. The teachers are wonderful and they really care about their students' success. She is now a confident speaker and honor roll student. This school is a jewel.

Posted November 5, 2009

We are so happy that we got a spot in this Expeditionary Learning charter school. We had our son in regular local public kindergarten last year and made the shocking experience that after enjoyable preschool years, he started resenting school, didn't want to go there and never knew what he had learned that day. Worksheets, drills and testing. At Amana, he is thriving, emotionally, academically, and socially. He is very advanced in reading and good in math and gets to work on his level. He is engaged, gets to apply and reflect aout what he learns, sees a point why he is going to school. The field trips are awesome - he recalls every detail from those. We as parents and our son feel that everybody at the school is really nice. We couldn't be happier and are looking forward to sending our daughter there next year.

Posted June 29, 2009

I am impressed by the administration and board making a consistent effort to reach out to the parents. Most parents and staff are very involved and committed which equals a great learning environment and pleasant atmosphere. This school does require a committment from students and parents, which I feel contributes to it's excellent test scores!

Posted June 5, 2009

I am a middle school student at amana academy and all I see in this school is achievement. This school has brought from a school of gangs and drugs to a school that helps you under any circumstance. All the students love the teachers and not just because you can actually call them your friends but also because they are there for you. And so I am proud to say that i am an Amana student!
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 4, 2009

Amana is so awesome i go there and even as a student it rocks forget random district schools this place is fun
—Submitted by a student

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 93% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 95% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 85% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 97% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

47 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Writing

The state average for Writing was 82% in 2012.

31 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 25% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Male 49%N/A51%
Female 51%N/A49%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Security personnel
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff American sign language
Arabic languages
French
Russian
Spanish
Urdu
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Engineering

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Girls on the run
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 3:15 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Ehab Jaleel
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Service learning
  • Social justice
  • Technology
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Parent center
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Chattahoochee Nature Center

Media arts
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club
  • Drama club
  • Foreign language and culture club
  • Girl scouts
  • Girls on the run
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Math club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor