No rating

Southland Academy

Private | PK-12 | 560 students

Christian environment, safe and secure campus, and college prep. curriculum.

Living in Americus

Situated in a small town neighborhood. The median home value is $80,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $571.

School Official Point of View

Posted December 6, 2012

Southland Academy's mission is to provide a firm foundation on which each student can build a strong mind, body, and spirit. We believe that it is essential to challenge our students with experiences in and out of the classroom, developing their minds and hearts so that they are able to determine who they are and what they have to offer our school and community. Southland Academy is known for its motto: Committed to Excellence. We strive for excellence in all that we do including academics, athletics, fine arts, and service. We are also committed to providing a respectful, safe, and caring environment.

Posted Sunday, September 28, 2014

We chose Southland Academy for our child because of the safe learning environment. Students are taught respect for themselves and others. The teachers are very caring and have the student's best interest at heart. We are very happy with our decision and encourage other parents to go visit and see for yourselves!

Posted September 17, 2014

We have two children who graduated from Southland. While they were there they were actively involved in many of the activities offered. We felt that they were always safe and encouraged. Both had high SAT scores and were accepted by everyschool they applies to. Both graduated from the college of their choice and were offered jobs immediately upon graduation. Mission Accomplished!!

Posted August 28, 2014

I appreciate all that Southland Academy offers not only my child but also my family. Starting our third year at Southland, I have been more than pleased with Southland Academy's academic curriculum, small classes, safety of the campus, and kind and positive attitude of the faculty and staff. I look forward to the next several years we have to spend at Southland!

Posted August 27, 2014

I attended 3 years of bad luck! Im an African American student and I was picked on about my skin color. The staff members did not try to stop it! The kids are very disrespectful to their subs. The reading teacher told me that interracial relationships are a sin. This school is a waste of money...

Posted February 18, 2014

I am an alumni with two kids attending. Southland offers Christian based college prep education in a safe diciplined atmosphere. My family is very pleased with Southland and the many opportunities it offers for a very reasonable tuition.

Posted January 21, 2014

My two kids have plugged in very well at Southland Academy. We came from a public school in a neighboring county and while we were pleased with the school system they attended, we were missing that family spirit and school pride element that is so important. We moved to Southland and have never once regretted it. The family atmosphere and small class sizes made it an easy transition for our kids.The academics are excellent, the facilities are top notch and atheletics have more to offer than many of the larger public schools in our area. As is the case with many private schools technology is very costly and there are not endless supplies of tax dollars to spend on the technology. However, Southland has committed to improving it's technology and has installed smart boards in many of the classrooms and has budgeted to purchase more each year. This along with the group of fine teachers ensures that Southland students are at the forefront of the latest technology and instruction each year. As parents we are extremely pleased in our decision to join the Southland family, however our kids are the ones who have benefitted the most!!

Posted August 6, 2013

Former student at 'The Academy', and thought this school was terrible. This school is said to have a Christian environment, however, it doesn't nurture or advertise Christian ideals, especially in it's high school beyond racism and cynicism. The 'average' Southland student is a selfish, closed-minded rich kid. The education is sub-par to begin with, but when paired with the poor motivation of these students and peer pressure to be as lazy as possible, it is truly a joke. The peer pressure even extends to the good kids. The good kids are often ostracized and ridiculed for their attempts of success. Graduates or alumni are very proud of Southland because it was, and still is, a close-knit community of snobs who think low of you if you do not attend Southland. Overall, a terrible place to enroll your child, but a great place to put your child if you want to waste your money.

Posted April 4, 2013

Subpar education. They were very restrictive about which kids they'll let take "honors" classes; you usually had to be in their "honors" classes back in 7th grade to be in their High School honors classes. They had only two AP classes when I attended.

Posted January 12, 2013

Southland is a great school with a rich and proud tradition in our communtiy. The faculty and staff have provided several generations of families with the educational foundation needed to ensure each student succeed at whatever they undertake in life. The new leadership at the school is committed to guide Southland down the path to many more years of excellence. The future is exciting and bright at the school, and Southland is clearly the best choice in college prep that our community has to offer.

Posted January 6, 2013

Southland Academy is most certainly the best decision we ever made for our family! There are high expectations academically and behaviorally for all students. I truly believe that any sacrifice we have had to make financially has been far outweighed by the benefits of our children attending Southland. Both of my children have been there since 4K and while every minute has not been perfect I have always been able to speak with teachers, administrators, and coaches to work out any problems/issues. We have recently acquired a new headmaster that I feel is very concerned with keeping our school on the right track. The relationships my entire family has made here will be lifelong relationships. I feel this is something hard to find in other places! We LOVE Southland and would never consider going anywhere else!

Posted December 1, 2012

We moved to Americus 8 years ago and found our dream, Southland. We had 2 children to graduate and move on to college, Both have excelled beyond our dreams. We loved the family atmosphere and closeness of the kids and faculty. Of course, when dealing with children, there were some bumps in the road but the faculty handled them to our satisfaction and our kids learned how to get along with others. We came to Southland from another independent school in Macon. We were shocked to see that Southland's tuition was HALF. People still gripe about tuition but Southland is the best deal in the State!! We did have to sacrifice some things along the way for our children to get the kind of education that we felt they deserved, but looking back it now, it was a no-brainer. We remain today a very Happy Southland Family.

Posted September 25, 2012

Great school with great people. I send both my kids here and have been very satisfied with the education they have received. School placed a big empasis on producing a well rounded student. Very good academics and extra curricular activities in a safe Christian environment. I would highly recommend.

Posted April 24, 2012

I have had three children to graduate from this school and I have no regrets sending them there. While I had to make finiancal sacrifices to do this, I have been rewarded with well behaved kids that have made my life as a parent a pleasure. The morals and beliefs I hold sacred are reinforced at this school. I must say that this school is not for everyone. Children with learning or behavior difficulties will find it to hard. The mandatory drug testing helps keep the kids on the straight and narrow but it also causes us to lose one sometimes when they know they are about to be caught. Of course this has caused hard feelings but is needed to maintain a drug free campus. The kids know they can't get a way with it.

Posted January 23, 2012

My child attended k4 thru 9th grade. Finally, we moved to another school because the enviroment is sooo toxic. We had orginally picked this school because we thought she would receive a good education and be in a Christian enviroment - but we were wrong. Very Disappointed....

Posted November 20, 2011

I have had one to graduate from this school and 2 still there. I think the young man's remarks from Jan 2011 are totally biased and do not fairly represent the atmosphere at Southland.. While not all of my kids are or were in the "in-crowd" so to speak, they get along with their classmates very well. I have one in college and while he struggled in high school, he is doing very well in college. I attribute that to the foundation he got at Southland and so does he. I can highly recommend this school to other parents looking for a college prep curriculum. Other schools in the area do not come close.

Posted January 16, 2011

The material covered in this school wasn't lacking, I thought it was fair when I attended 2 years of middle school. The kids were very poorly mannered and undisciplined racists, openly making fun of my clothing, hair, or other looks. The teachers did not do much to stop them. There were some fights there, perhaps three in my two attendance years, and there were no penalties. The teachers were not very willing to help me with my work, other than Mrs. Kat. I would not recommend this school for anyone. Truely one of he most prejudiced schools I've ever attended. I preferred Schley County, which I attended paying out-of-county fees. Friendlier and more motivated teachers, kinder students, and a stronger stance against bullying.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration
College preparation / awareness resources offered
  • College prep programs/courses during the year
  • College presentations or information sessions
  • SAT/ACT prep classes
  • Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Ty Kinslow
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Fax number
  • (229) 924-2996

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

What does it cost?

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
SAT/ACT prep classes
Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges

Po Box 1127