Athens, GA

Posted February 15, 2014
This school is outstanding. When I see a rare, negative review, I assume the writer either could not get in or could not maintain the level of academic rigor that is required to succeed here. A high number of teachers here have advanced degrees, and some of the science teachers are involved in research at UGA. Students are offered opportunities to me come in original research and may even participate in scientific studies in cooperation with UGA. Annually, about 38% of the National Merit Scholars from the 10-county area come from THIS ONE SCHOOL. This is not opinion, but fact. The student support system and the faculty here are excellent and are unmatched at any price. People do not realize the diversity that exists here: students of varied religious belief and no religious belief work together here in mutual respect and friendship. Race is not an issue here. Yes, the school is about 80% Caucasian, but all races and religions are welcome and accepted here equally. Athens Academy does not accept racism in any form, or any other kind of discrimination. If you wait until HS to enroll, you will already be behind the curve academically. Opportunities here are unmatched.

Posted February 15, 2014
Athens Academy is a very unique, accepting place with a wonderful learning environment. Unlike the stereotype I hear all the time, this school is not all "rich kids." My family, never wealthy, has been struggling financially, but we believe so strongly in this school that we continued to invest in our child's future by remaining there even when we had to make enormous sacrifices. It has all been worth it, because my child is being recruited by some of the best colleges and universities in the country, based on SAT and ACT scores. My child is by no means the highest GPA at the school, but we are getting offers of a full ride to college by schools we never even applied to. The proof is there. Yes, sometimes it was hard to explain to my child why we could not afford all the things that many of her classmates had, but it built character. She has friends in all income levels, and high achievement is "cool" at Athens Academy. I know that she is prepared for the most rigorous college work, and she has been taught to value education and accomplishment. This school has given my child a wonderful academic background. It reinforces equality and charity.

Posted October 20, 2013
Athens Academy is top notch in being academically challenging and producing high achievers who are well rounded athletically, artistically, and dramatically. My child is in high school and we have not encountered any issues with sex or drugs. In fact there are several opportunities for students to plug in spiritually as well as academically. Socially, it has been slightly difficult since we are not as wealthy as many who attend AA, but the school has been worth every penny as far as I am concerned. My child tries very hard and studies diligently, and still has to earn every A and B. If we cannot afford AA for the entire duration of high school, we may end up in the Oconee County School District, but truly, Athens Academy offers an incredible campus, an incredible Arts program, and a wonderful Honor Code.

Posted July 21, 2013
This school is terrible. Do not attend this school because it is not worth a single penny.

Posted July 21, 2013
I really did not like attending this school. There is a huge drug/alcohol/sex problem among the students. I also feel that many of the students and teachers are very ignorant and pretentious. All in all, save your money and go to a different school.

Posted April 06, 2013
This is the best college prep school in the area. My two children graduated from Athens Academy, and did very very well in college. One is a cardiologist and one is an IT Manager. Teachers are excellent and genuinely care about each student. Campus looks like a college, safe and beautiful. Well worth the investment!

Posted November 02, 2012
Overrated institution. Teaching quality in some of the grades is very poor. Arrogant and not receptive to constructive criticism.

Posted March 06, 2011
I have attended Athens Academy since 8th grade and absolutely love it. Coming from public school, I loved the tough academic atmosphere. The teachers are great because they actively want to help you, and have a relationship with you. I would recommend this school over and over. The friends I have made will last a lifetime! The only people that really don't like it are the students who aren't willing to try in their schoolwork. So,if you're a dedicated student, this is the perfect school for you. I love the fact that we have an Honor Code, and the fact that all my teachers trust me enough to take tests alone and have free periods. I feel like I go to a small college with great academic programs, great theater programs, and fabulos athletics.

Athens Academy 4

Posted October 04, 2009
Athens academy is a great school and you don't have to be above average to go there. The teachers, athletics, and fine arts are fantastic. The one downer especially if you have gone there since pre-k is you won't meet as many interesting people as you will in public schools. This is mainly a problem when you get to high school. I have been friends with the same people since fifth grade and I know hen you go to a public school that can change easily. Another thing that bothers me is that i feel like I can't move now because my parents have paid so much for me to get a great education.

Athens Academy 0

Posted July 17, 2008
Its fabulous! My child was in the Oconee County School system and hated it. She has made wonderful friends, and the academics and sports are great. The teachers are above average and out of all of the private schools she's been enrolled in, this one exceeded the others. It also is great for parents who want to be involved, I know everything that goes on and am very happy with the school.

Athens Academy