No rating

Athens Montessori School

Private | PK-8 | 149 students

Living in Athens

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $113,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $700.

Posted August 22, 2013

A wonderful school where the teachers have great respect for the children and are facilitator in having them reach their full potential. My kids love to go to school, they are really happy there and this is the most important thing.

Posted February 6, 2011

My child has benefited greatly from the montessori education at Athens Montessori. The teachers are very dedicated to teaching and ensure that all the children learn what they are taught in class. When my daughter moved to another school her teachers actually prepared her in handwriting practice and math to get her ready for the new school. There is also a strong community involvement.

Posted October 13, 2010

I love Athens Montessori School because the teachers allow the students to think as they learn.

Posted May 11, 2010

A wonderful, multi-cultural school where the teachers have great respect for the children and are facilitator in having them reach their full potential.

Posted May 9, 2010

A caring and compassionate school where children are able to discover learning and their gifts to share and enable happier, healthier, more cooperative classes, families, and communities.

Posted May 8, 2010

The school is a great learning environment with caring teachers and very involved parents. The teachers are accessible and you can tell that they truly care about the kids' progress and development.

Posted May 8, 2010

The teachers really care about the students & helping them prepare for life!

Posted May 8, 2010

Wonderful teachers, creative atmosphere. My son loves going to school every day!

Posted May 1, 2009

This school is great all the way through, form pre-k to 8th grade!! I have excelled in its diverse academic program that allows you to fill in the gaps and expand in the areas you are best at and most enjoy. I would also like to add that the teachers are great, and i think that it will benefit all students who finish the entire school curriculum/
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 9, 2007

I have a daughter in college and a daughter in high school who attended Athens Montessori from the toddler years through the middle school. My college age daughter has been Athletic Scholar of the year at Agnes Scott and is in 4 national honor societies (and I thought she was my jock!). She called me one day in her second college term and said 'Mom I used to give you a hard time about keeping us in the Middle School rather than changing us to public schools after elementary, but I have friends here who attended prestegious college prep schools and they are finding the course work too difficult because they never learned to analyze, synthesize information and write critiques. In the MIddle School we learned to think.

Posted December 9, 2007

I have two children at Athens Montessori School, one in primary and one in elementary, and I couldn't be happier. Both of my children are excited to go to school everyday and are continuously growing academically and socially. They are exposed to new materials, ideas and cultures on a daily basis. As a parent I have been encouraged by faculty and staff to become involved on many levels. There is a true sense of community at Athens Montessori School. I have found both the teachers and administration to be open to discussions about any concerns my husband and I might have about our children's education. Our family plans to be a part of the AMS community for many years to come.

Posted November 14, 2007

This is a great school! My son is in a preschool class with a teacher that has 17 years experience and is still not burned out teaching! How rare is that? He is reading at 4 and is doing simple math. He is having fun on their huge playground and the activities in class would never be found outside of Montessori and are engaging. We checked out Athens Academy first- and may send him there later on, but we are glad we put him here first.

Posted August 22, 2007

Excellent for pre-school and Grade 1-3 (especially if you can get Vikings Class. Aces is okay but Middle School is pathetic. Despite an absolute lack of academics in the Middle School, I would consider sending the kid there for the wrong reasons. As safe as an environment a kid can grow up in and develop long lasting relationships and parents too will have a community. Because the environment is very healthy for all kids to bond, it is a positive school experience. The principal and teachers are totally unresponsive to the child's need and will not budge from their own agenda - they are not good teachers but allow the kids grow up at their own pace.

Posted March 26, 2007

Still believers in the Montessori Method, but have been quite disappointed overall with this experience. What does our child do, day after day in class? Hard to say. Work rarely comes home and we only get the vaguest ideas of what work is being done and what has been mastered. In pre-school, we don't expect much, but it would be good to know things like: has my child mastered buttons yet? how is the handwriting going? Also, administration discourages teachers from communicating online with parents, saying instead they should only talk face to face -- often impossible for working parents. Surely this is not the kind of Montessori experience people rave about.

Posted February 27, 2006

There is a great deal of parental involvement here. The teachers we've had in both school and after-school care are excellent. The children really are engaged and discipline problems appear to be very rare.

Posted January 24, 2006

My daughter has been in the Primary program for two years and we are very, very pleased. The classroom directors are wonderful professionals. I love that my 4 year-old gets regular Spanish lessons, art, music, and physical activities in addition to the standard areas of the Montessori method. I wish I had attended a school like this myself!

Posted September 26, 2005

fantastic school. all around healthy curriculm. has time for PE, various linguistics, band, choir, and a wonderful sense of community. very strong parent association. dotes on the creative, out of the box, and respectful learning. multi-cultural and proud of this synergy. a wonderful growing experience and worth every penny of private tuition.

Posted March 30, 2005

Outstanding school! We could not be happier with the education our daughters are receiving (ages 7 & 9)!

Posted January 24, 2005

this is a great school up until the end of the aces classroom up to 6th grade.
—Submitted by a student

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3145 Barnett Shoals Road