Athens, GA

Posted May 19, 2014
There have been a number of changes made at the school over the past 5-6 years with the new administration but unlike some of the other posters, I feel like these changes are positive. There is a much greater emphasis on parental involvement and many of the guidelines regarding dress have been modified (girls can wear pants, boys can wear khaki shorts) to be more mainstream. With regards to academics, I think you get what you put into it. I have 4 children -- two of which are really academically inclined and scored really well in standardized testing (PSAT, SAT and AP testing). My other two children are slightly behind their peers but I believe that would have been the case regardless of the school I sent them to. I think ACS can offer a challenging academic curriculum if you are willing to choose the advanced and AP classes when formulating your class schedule.

Athens Christian School 1

Posted April 08, 2014
I am currently a tenth grader at Athens Christian, and I have enjoyed going to school there until recently. Now it seems the primary focus is on athletics instead of academics and this bothers me. Recently I have noticed that athletes are favored in not only one of my classes, but most of them. This really disappointed me seeing how the school previously handled their academics as the most important thing .The other problem I have is that the Christian principles they are teaching, from most of the teachers throughout the day, are from a straight southern baptist perspective. From my point of view they are are almost too strict on some of the bible aspects of the school. This is just a list of a few problems, but I could go on and on about other thing that are wrong with the school. If you are looking for a good private or Christian school, go ahead and enroll your kids somewhere else, and when when they say Christian atmosphere they mean Southern Baptist atmosphere. I think Athens Christian is good up until about sixth grade and after that things go down hill. I hope everyone finds this review helpful or gives a better understanding of things that go on at the school.

Posted December 22, 2013
I have put 4 children through ACS, all had an extremely positive experience academically, spiritually and athletically. My son is graduating this year and is being actively recruited athletically by Harvard, Yale and many other colleges. Every year I have had kids there they have had 100 percent college acceptance in the senior class. One difference of the school with other area private schools is that ACS seems to be a little more diverse culturally from the rest which gives it a more "real world" feel, something that has been not only healthy for my kids, but also more fun. The school has a great family atmosphere and is building all the time, the newest addition will looks to be something special for the area education wise. I highly recommend this school.

Athens Christian School 1

Posted March 17, 2013
Our kids attended ACS until middle school. We enjoyed the elementary school, but once middle school began, our children were no longer being well prepared academically. Before starting another school, due to our concerns, we had them tested. Although outstanding "deans list" students at ACS, our kids tested signficantly behind public schools in writing. They were slightly ahead in math. With some summer tutoring, our kids have continued success academically at their new schools and they experience less disciplinary problems than at ACS. However, we are in one of the best public school districts in the area. The environment has changed at ACS due to the school taking more "at risk" students in order to compete in sports. Some of these kids have had serious offenses at other schools. In my opinion, if you have a child that may not go to college, then ACS may be an okay choice. If academics are important, then many public schools and all other private schools in the area are better choices. ACS does not publish their SAT scores and when quesioned, our experience was that you will get a vague answer. Other private schools in the area that we visited led with this information.

Posted June 30, 2012
I have been attending Athens Christian since K5 and now i am going to 6th. I am attending Burney Harris Lyons and i am sad i have to leave. It is an amazing school, but is very expensive.

Posted April 05, 2011
My son has been going to ACS for 7 years now and I couldn't imagine him attending anywhere else! I don't think he could either. So far all of his teachers seem to genuinely care for their students. The majority of the faculty has been there for multiple years. To me that shows alot about a school. There is always going to be some negative aspects of any school. These are our precious little ones we are tyring to raise in a safe, structured environment. I believe they feel the same way all of us parents do. And for the religious part, hello this is a "chrisitan" private school I think alot of people forget that. B.

Athens Christian School 4

Posted March 27, 2011
I graduated from this school. Attended k5-12th and I am thankful for the recent changes. I do agree the conservative view point can be a little over the top, but you know that when you choose to send your child there and I believe the benefit outweighs the downside. We all make choices and will never find a place we like everything about, that's human nature unfortunately. Also, as a parent it is our responsibility to help our children maintain a healthy medium. Like in the real world, often we do what we have to when we place ourselves under certain authority and when we are not under that authority we have to make our own decisions. I think the emphasis on sports is a welcome addition, our children deserve the best possibilities in sports just as they do in academics. I would highly recommend ACS as an alternative to some of the public schools in the area. I think it just depends on what you are looking for and what you value. No place is perfect, but overall I have been very happy with our choice for our children.

Posted March 16, 2011
I have to disagree with the poster from 3/11/10. I have a hard time believing the Cummings' put money ahead of the children in any way. Being a private school, they depend solely on tuition and donations. They receive NO State or Federal funding, and never have. The school has to be self-sustaining completely. If you want to see schools that are "more about the money", then try the public schools. We put our granddaughter in public school for one year, & we had to send money to school for something every week, send enough basic supplies such as pencils for the entire class, and buy the teacher's basic supplies such as dry erase markers. Then you have all the fund raisers on top of that and paying for school lunches which are minimal at best & nowhere near the lunches when I was in school. The money outgo was continuous & expensive. We are now home-schooling her as we do not live in the area. ACS has done a great job in keeping tuition affordable. ACS charges about half the tuition a Christian school in our town charges, & I suspect less than half of other private schools in the Athens area. Anyone who has the chance to send their child her should. It's well worth it.

Athens Christian School 0

Posted March 11, 2010
My son has been going there since K5 and is now in 5th. I have been very displeased with the school that past couple of years as well. We are going to go ahead and try Athens Clarke County next fall, something in which I have dreaded. But ACS has really disappointed me. Sometimes I get the feeling they are more about the $$$ then a safe environment for the children.

Athens Christian School 0

Posted December 25, 2009
School has greatly declined in the last 2 years. Change in administration has hurt the school and it seems less emphasis has been put on the kids and more on sports.

Athens Christian School
1270 Highway 29 N, Athens, GA  30601
Last modified Athens Christian School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Athens Christian School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top