Athens, GA
Students enrolled: 1,566

Clarke Central High School 4

Posted May 16, 2013
Clarke central high schhasvbumped very positive experience for my children. Our daughter is starting University of Georgia this fall ,she has taken 11 AP classes at the high school and has definitely had a very challenging experience with those classes. The students who enroll in AP classes are self-motivated students who are willing to put in a lot of extra effort for the reward. The benefit of this is that the classes tend to be small and like minded students attend his classes for the most part. My son is just about to start his sophomore year at Clarke Central high school and he is experiencing the same challenge of AP classes, orchestra, band and athletics Our youngest daughter will be finishing private school eighth-grade and starting Clarke Central ninth-grade and my wife and I are confident that she will have an outstanding experience as well. Clarke Central serves a very diverse population students and I was worried that my children would not be challenged in this environment but when students enroll in the more difficult AP classes it becomes a sort of school within a school. They are forced to do a lot of extra homework and writing

Clarke Central High School 2

Posted May 25, 2010
The school is focused on preventing dropout. There are lots of AP classes. However, kids who are average have difficulty earning attention from the school.

Posted November 21, 2009
Im currently a senior at Clarke Central and I can honestly say this with pride and without regret. CCHS has given me the opportunity to gain knowledge that other schools couldn't provide such as a large list of AP courses. Central is filled with competitive students and staff members that are determined to prove negative stereotypes and rumors associated with our school wrong. These same students are playing on the football team for the 3rd round of the STATE PLAYOFFS, others are writing and publishing articles and works of art for our HIGHLY RECOGNIZED Odyssey and ILLIAD, some are singing with the choir, marching to their on beat with the marching band, and some are dancing up a storm on the danceline and step team. There is truely no end to what CCHS students can do. I will never forget my amazing teachers and the great experiences ive had at CCHS

Posted October 03, 2009
It has great teachers and a full array of AP courses.

Posted August 04, 2009
Three of my four daughters graduated from CCHS, and I couldn't have been happier with their teachers and their level of preparedness for college. All were on the dean's list at their respective colleges and one is now teaching. Who says you can't get an excellent public school education. I've always felt parent involvement is a MUST, and found myself very involved in all aspects of my children's learning experiences, from bringing snacks for the cheerleading squad and track team to shuttling kids to AP exams. There is no substitute for letting your kids' teacher know that you are fully invested in your their academic success.

Posted April 22, 2009
i think that clarke central is a fantastic school to be at. the learning environment and everything.

Posted April 20, 2009
My child, a senior, asked to attend CCHS after 8 years of private school. We were skeptical -- the local newspaper rags on public schools -- but agreed that she might. We couldn't have asked for better. In four years, she has had few teachers whom I do not think to be of the highest quality. There were a handful of EXCEPTIONAL teachers, incredibly bright and dedicated, who've engaged her and others in their studies and who've served as guides through some rough teen life passages. She has benefited from well-coached sports programs; wide extra-curricular choices; diverse environment; vigorous AP program; and superb counseling staff. The hardworking, caring teachers and counselors seem to be saints! She and many classmates are quite well prepared for the most competitive liberal arts colleges and universities where they will matriculate this fall, ready and eager as can be.

Posted November 02, 2007
As a recent graduate of CCHS, I can honestly say that there is no other school I would have rather attended. The AP program at Clarke Central is unmatched, and I find myself extremely well prepared for the rigors of a Top 50 Liberal Arts College (US News). Unlike many suburban schools, there is not overbearing parent involvement; students must seek out their own opportunities. In four years I might have had one sub-par teacher.

Clarke Central High School 4

Posted June 03, 2007
The quality of the AP courses is exceptional. My son had a U.S. History teacher that was better than any teacher I have ever seen. The Advanced College Placement courses are uneven, from exceptional to mediocre, ot unusual. The math department is unusually strong and well-monitored. Spanish courses genereally good. Other departments seem uneven. There are many opportunities for kids to participate in AP courses and your child doesn't have to be a genius to get into them, just reasonably motivated and well-behaved. I think that's how it should be. This is an enormous economic boon for parents. The extra-curricular opportunities for kids interested in the arts are not as strong as for kids interested in sports. Although I worried about the poverty issues associated with the school at first, my kids have been enriched by having contact with the broad scope of American life, good and bad.

Posted June 14, 2006
I was only looking up the address and I can't belive all the positive things I've heard about this school. After graduating I was not at all prepared for college. Being an AP and ACP and AP student I would have expected a better educational foundation for the next step in the education. The principal cares more about the appearane of the property rather than the quality of education of the students. I remember roaches in the halls, torn late edition books, and a giant football budget for a loosing team. But they have prepared me for a lifetime of backpacking.

350 S Milledge Ave, Athens, GA  30605
Last modified Clarke Central High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Clarke Central High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top