Athens, GA
Students enrolled: 1,609

Cedar Shoals High School 2

Posted May 10, 2011
I go to Cedar Shoals and it really does depend where you hang around in this school. The fine arts building is the best and most positive place at this school. But when you step into the academic building, there are evident problems not being solved. There is a large drug and theft problem, but yet nothing is done about it. The administration is also very ineffective and takes no action with serious and important issues. Hopefully, a new administrator may turn things around next year. Also, very good teachers are leaving the school due to the forced teaching model and unsettled administration posts. A plus at the academic building is the AP courses. Many 4s and 5s are received on the exams. An emphasis is put on the top 5% and bottom 20%, but not for the students in between. Those students are left to fend for their own achievement and are not challenged due to dismal advanced curriculum courses. To get challenged here, you have to take AP courses.

Cedar Shoals High School 1

Posted April 11, 2011
I currently go to school at cedar and am glad I am leaving after this year. I mean the fine arts department is amazing with caring amazing teachers who push us to do better. But the academic teachers take advantage of the fact that students who do their work will and focas more on yelling at the ones who won't. The drug use is crazy and well known but nothing is done about it. This school is out of control.

Posted January 18, 2011
One of the top JROTC programs in the nation. Instructors are totally involved with the students both in academics and the extra curricular activities. National level Drill and Raider teams.

Posted December 29, 2010
I am currently a student at Cedar Shoals, and I truly believe I am getting a good quality education. Many of the teachers are outstanding and have material to fill the full hour and thirty minute block, despite popular belief. The social aspect isn't the greatest, but it really does depend on who the students surround themselves with. Cliques are not an issue and our wide variety of elective courses allow students to try different things from all the departments and maybe discover a talent they didn't know they had.

Cedar Shoals High School 1

Posted July 23, 2010
After a year at this school my eyes have been opened to how different school has become since I was a high school student. I have to say this school was so much LESS than what I expected and bad thing is I believe it starts with the Principle. It is hard to run a school already but when you allow some kids to be held to different standards than others you are really asking for more trouble. I fear that the Quality of the Teachers are going to be overlooked by the Principles lack of stability. When you allow your Athletes to do what they will and allow these CHILDREN to disrespect teachers and their class rooms......YOU ARE HEADED FOR TROUBLE. This School is out of control...

Posted September 17, 2009
The band director and band program is awesome!

Posted March 31, 2009
Cedar Shoals is sorely lacking in the academic and enrichment that is desirable in a high school. Students who excel are taken for granted and exploited. Teachers take advantage of the fact that the good students will work hard and do nothing to encourage and help them. I am disgusted by this school and would never send my child here if I had an alternative.

Cedar Shoals High School 3

Posted March 08, 2009
To the parents that have the audacity to say such things about Cedar Shoals, I will just have you know that I have plenty of friends whom have came from private schools and I work with a student from Oconee and they are just as worse as Cedar Shoals; those students are no better than Cedar's students are!!! Cedar has a nice environment. Granted, it is not one of the best, but what parent can truly say that one school is better than the other, when they don't even attend the schools? You need to get your facts straight!!! And whether or not a teacher is a good teacher, it is dependent upon the student as to whether or not they are going to buckle down, stop socializing, and do what they have to do! Times are changing, so is the society, and the attitudes and lives' amongst the students.

Posted December 02, 2008
Cedar Shoals has some great AP class instructors, especially in math and science. I think going to cedar shoals is not a bad idea. but, if you have other options such as Oconee or private, then go for it!

Posted October 20, 2008
It is what you make it. My child has taken many AP classes and achieved high scores on the exams. There are MANY quality teachers here especially in math and science. Ms. Gilbert, the new principal was the principal at my child's middle school. She is dedicated to the students and to informing parents. She will get parents involved more as her tenure proceeds.

1300 Cedar Shoals Dr, Athens, GA  30605
Last modified Cedar Shoals High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cedar Shoals High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top