Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (7 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Amazing school, great communication (almost overwhelming from fellow parents and directly from teachers) and great support. I couldn't imagine a better start for my two children (one whom has graduated from SRS and one who is in 5th grade and will this year). Fantastic experience.

I am blessed to be able to send my children to this school! I was nervous at first to have my children amongst a large student population, but it quickly became a small and loving community. My children have been successful, challenged, enriched, and valued at this school. And the afterschool program and all of the extracurricular activities it offers is icing on the cake. Couldn't be happier!

Sarah Smith has been and continues to be a blessing to our family. It is a neighborhood school filled with teachers and administrators that possess a love of learning and a love for our children. I have found the staff to be welcoming, warm and caring. My children have received a first-class education and are prepared each year for the tasks ahead. I am grateful for the school and to all the teachers and administration that go above and beyond to make it an extradordinary school.

Sarah Smith is an amazing school - full of talented teachers and engaged families. My husband I and both grew up in Atlanta and attended (different) private schools recently ranked in the top 5 by niche.com. Now our children are students at Sarah Smith and I can tell you that you will find the same top-quality education at Sarah Smith that you will find in any of the top private schools in Atlanta. Plus you have the enhancement of it being a neighborhood school. It adds so much to your children's lives to live in your school community!

This is a great school, the teachers are very nice and helpful. They are very supportive of you if you need help. I attended Sarah Smith for K-4 and I'm now in 6th grade at Westminster. The amount of homework at Sarah Smith was just right. In fourth grade, I had the most homework. I love science and the High Tech High Touch experiments and I wish we could have done even more. Some of the teachers assign at-home experiments that are fun and helpful. The teachers are great at having the class do an equal amount of group/individual activities. My teachers really helped me with story writing (hook, plot, conclusion, how to make your story interesting, etc;). However, my grammar could have been better. For math, there is a system in grades 3-5 with 3 levels of math - advanced, regular, and lower. Advanced math is 1 grade higher than regular. Regular math is your grades math level. Lower math is the same as your grade but the teachers take a lot more time on a subject than the other math levels. To make sure you are in the right math level, you take a test that would be the hardest test in the grade before, but the easiest test in your grade. Your math placement depends on your score + your previous teacher's assessment of your math abilities. For ELA (English language arts), the school has a program for people who have English as their second language. They have good teachers who know both languages and by the end of the year I am sure the students will know a lot more English. All students take French as the foreign language. The french teachers are nice and helpful. You won't be fluent in French by the end of elementary or even close, but you will know enough to be comfortable on a trip to France. I was part of the chess club and chorus at Sarah Smith. Mr. Thompson, the music teacher, is awesome!

We have had a great experience at the K-2 campus so far. Engaged teachers who go the extra mile, strong music/arts programming, very involved parents, and a new principal who is off to a great start.

Sarah Smith is a wonderful community school. We have two children attending this school and are very satisfied with the quality of their education. Parent involvement is extremely high--there is a very active PTA and an education foundation that provides funding for academic programming. The vast majority of teachers at SRS are terrific--they are creative, caring and engaging with the kids. I receive regular communication from both my kids' teachers and feel like I know what's going on in the classroom. We have a new principal (as of January 2016) who is absolutely amazing--he is building on our success but has creative ideas for improvement. He has a great attitude and is warm and welcoming to students and parents. It is a big school and that can be intimidating in the beginning--but after four years as an SRS family we feel like part of a tight-knit community.

In reading some of these reviews I feel like the people writing these are talking about an entirely different school than Sarah Smith. We love this school. Our daughter is in her 2nd year there and both years we have been so pleased with her teachers, their caring, concern and teaching. We believe she has grown and learned so much! In addition, the art and music programs are wonderful and we believe an absolutely essential part of a well-rounded education. We cannot say enough wonderful things about the staff and school and we feel very fortunate to be attending this school!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

The teachers we experienced were totally clueless as to how to effectively manage a class of almost 30 five year olds. They complained everyday and were not very patient with them. I guess they were stressed.

Amount of homework: Disagree

All I saw where worksheets printed off the internet. Books sent home for my Kindergartner were way over his age range. I would read the stories and they were so long, he couldn't answer the comprehension questions that followed.

Last modified Smith Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.