Woodland Elementary Charter School 1

Posted August 19, 2014
My daughter attended 5th grade at Woodland for 1/2 a year. Afterwards, we moved to the Forsyth County school district. We had such a bad experience with the 5th grade teachers at Woodland. The curricula that the math and science teachers used did not prepare the students for the Georgia state exam. The science teach even admitted to me that he was not able to get through all the necessary lessons. Instead, he would instruct the students to study certain chapters on their own - so they could receive extra credit on a major exam, if they got the question right. My daughter's science and english teachers never wanted to help my daughter when she would raise her hand to ask a question about a lesson being taught in class. Since we lived in Forsyth County, my daughter's grades have improved. With that said it made no sense for us to pay more money to purchase a home within that school district. The schools are 10 times better just a few miles North of Highway 400 AND the property is a lot less expensive. Areas like Alpharetta and Cumming, GA are becoming a lot more diverse, which is also a big plus.

Posted August 11, 2014
Woodland is a consistent community school where the teaching staff is top notch. I am on my 6th year at Woodland and have been very pleased with how the staff listens to me and makes sure that my 3 children get the best education possible. I am also super impressed with the schools focus on STEM and STEAM in the curriculum. My kindergartener last year used iPads in the classroom, a smart board, and explored the campus to make learning about science fun. Another amazing school wide effort was the field trip to the High; where all 900+ students, teachers, and volunteers loaded up on buses to see a symphony, tour the High artwork, and watch a play. This was so well organized and ran so smoothly, and what an experience to see our entire school packing the symphony hall. Every year I am more impressed!

Posted April 29, 2014
Over the course of my sons K-5 years, the staff has gone through some adjustments and changes but the current principal and assistant principal are working hard to make this community school academically stronger. The diversity of the student body gives my child a true representation for "the real world". The Talented and Gifted Program lead by Mrs. Husack and Mrs. Artzi has been an adventure that inspires my son to learn and question what he reads and is told. My 5th grader is intrigued with History/Social Studies and Science thanks to Mr. Hinson. My son is prepared for the academic life of Middle School and the social challenges he may have to address with many more pre-teen kids in the mix! The community support is good through the efforts of the active PTA, and there is opportunity for even full-time working parents to be involved and help out!

Posted April 29, 2014
Dedicated to putting students first, Administration is comitted to supporting students needs first. Parents are dedicated to the school and volunteer countless hours. The dedication of the staff to the STEM program is amazing. Best practices are used daily and expected for all staff to incorporate daily. The staff work with parents and each other wonderfully all to benefit student achievement.

Posted April 29, 2014
My son has attended this school for three years. I have been happy with our experience thus far. As a second grader, my son has a homeroom teacher and switches classes midway through the day. I thought this was great, and allows the children a "change of scenery," making the day more interesting. Another thing that makes this a great school is the diversity. My son has met children from "everyone." The PTA, as well as the parents are very active and make the school events go off without a hitch. The teachers are dedicated to the children and come in early or stay late to tutor students. Overall, it's a great school and community.

Woodland Elementary Charter School 4

Posted April 29, 2014
I absolutely have loved every teacher my children have had while attending Woodland. Both of my children enjoy attending school and learning which I contribute to great teachers. My daughter had an easy transition into school because she would come with me while I volunteered in her brother's kindergarten class. My son had issues on the school bus with other children picking on him on several occasions and the vice principal addressed my concerns immediately.

Posted April 28, 2014
Woodland has been a wonderful school for my child! He has made leaps and bounds with his reading because of the school's ability to meet all the different levels in his class. Recently during a parent conference, I was thrilled to see that he is now performing on an accelerated (above grade level) level. I am also excited about the new STEM initiative and recently saw in the newsletter that the school received almost $200,000 to use towards STEM. An all around great school!!

Posted April 28, 2014
Woodland does an outstanding job of preparing all students to reach their highest potential. The school has worked very hard this year towards becoming a STEM school, which directly aligns with the needs of our future workforce. As a feeder school for a STEM charter high school (North Springs) WES is beginning early to prepare our future scientists and mathematicians. I would encourage parents to visit the school and learn more about all the great programs that are offered. It should also be noted that the school recently received a CCRPI (College and Career Readiness Performance Index) score of 85.8, which was far higher than district and state averages. Our teachers are top notch and are always willing to go the extra mile on behalf of our students. Way to go Woodland!!

Posted April 28, 2014
What you need to know: Woodland is a center school for students with special needs from all over Fulton County. They have an amazing staff that caters to students from moderate to profound disorders who comprise about 10 percent of the student population. They are in the process of becoming STEM certified. That means the school will have to meet an exceptional criteria for a certification focused on Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. If you want your student to have the background to succeed in the real world pay attention to that! 80% of the jobs in the next 10 years will require technical skills and an understanding of engineering processing. I believe Woodland is heads above other schools and has a real focus on the future. I am a parent with a rising second grader and chose Woodland over area private schools and to date, am not disappointed. They are blessed with a truly wonderful staff, involved parents and fortunate to have many local businesses patterning to make a difference.

Woodland Elementary Charter School 4

Posted April 25, 2014
Woodland is a wonderful school, that puts into to place many opportunities for students to learn and excel. Organizaitonal skills are always a challage at any age. We at Woodland provide students with agendas to record assignments and due dates. Thursday folders are weekly providing feedback to both students and parents. School communication is sent home each Thrusday. Students' ability to organize goes beyond the school environment and starts with responsibilies in the home, such as chores. At an elementary school level, homework time should be provided and supervised by a parent. That is not to say that parents do the homework. Understanding child development will help in fostering organizational skills at all levels. In classrooms throughout Woodland students are taught to refer back to texts, show proof in what they have read, and to articulate both orally and in written form what they are learning. A great reference for both parents and educators is a book entitled The Hurried Child. Check it out!

Woodland Elementary Charter School
1130 Spalding Dr, Atlanta, GA  30350
Last modified Woodland Elementary Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Woodland Elementary Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 117 reviews. Top