Westlake High School

Public | 9-12

Posted August 10, 2007

I was a student at Westlake and also a former Math & Science Magnet student. I left after one year because of incompetent teachers and the disorganized structure of the school. The 'magnet program' was not a true one. It was more of a stress than a help. During the school day in most of my classes, work didn't take place. However, when we got home we had loads and loads of projects and homework to do. Some of my other teachers were very uneducated in the subject matter they taught.

Posted June 11, 2007

The school is ok.It is not one of the best schools in Fulton county.You can find better schools in Fulton county.I think the school teachers are ok.They are not that great, only a few are great.The school has a lot of behavior problems.The parent involement is ok.There academic programs are ok.The school offers a lot of extracurricular activities.

Posted December 4, 2006

As a proud graduate of Westlake High School, I must say the school has truly prepared me for life. The magnet program was a superb program for those looking for a challenge and if taken seriously could even provide students with college credit (AP COURSES). The school also offers a wide variety of healthy and culturally stimulating extra-curricular activities and clubs. I highly recommend this school for those who are serious about their future, and want to have a great time as well. I still keep in contact with many of my teachers and staff, that really says a lot about them and their interest in their students (past & present)!

Posted June 19, 2006

Westlakes atheletics are off the charts. In the past '06 school year... the track team won state, basketball lost at state, football got to the second round in the state playoffs and the golf, rifle team did good as well. Westlake is definently the place to go when it comes to sports. When it comes to grades... they're test scores are always good.

Posted February 19, 2006

This is my daughter's first year. So far, things have mediocre. We've had some issues with incompetent teachers, but we are working through that. For the most, things are okay.

Posted June 8, 2005

I am a rising junior here at Westlake High School. I first believe that we have a school full of discpline. Our new principal, Mr. Franklin, has made Westlake out to be a school for worth being there to learn. However, I do disagree on his actions of suspending students for tarsies, and believe he should use a better approach. Westlake overall is a very good school for extracurricular; such as auxillary and varsity basketball cheerleading. At the same time, it is an excellent school for acedemics featuring our Math and Science Program. I think the teachers can also put a little more effort into their job. Overall, after being at Westlake for four years, i can't see myself being at any other place.

Posted March 21, 2005

The quality of academic programs would be great if they didnt suspend the children for tardies. The music department. art department, sports and other extra curricular activites are good over all. Parent envolement needs alot of help. Its like the parents don't care whay the child do. My biggest problem with Westlake is the principal, I just don't agree with his new plans in making the school better. As i stated before suspending kids for tardies??? is not the answer. I think we need a new principal for Westlake High school. Mr. Franklin you need a new plan, cause this one isn't working. Oh, Some of the staff need to leave right along with the principal.

Posted March 3, 2005

I had the opportunity to visit Westlake several times during my college career and, I must say that I am quite disappointed. Although Westlake is in an affluent African American community, the influence of a strong African American teaching staff is not present. Students are often left to learn throught the use of videos and its a wonder that the copy machine doesnt explode from the amount of worksheets they pass out to keep the kids quite. The teaching staff displays, in many ways, their unwillingness to adapt to the culture that is represented in their school. Rather than enforce discipline to allow those that want to learn do so, students are allowed to run the classrooms. I suggest that parents take other alternatives to Westlake.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 29, 2004

I am a Senior at Westlake High School and I have truly enjoyed my four years here. I am apart of the Math and Science Magnet and being in Magnet has greatly prepared me for the future. Mr. Edwards is the new magnet coordinator, and he is an inspiration to all students and teachers. Westlake has opened my eyes to the many opportunities that are out there for me as an African American Woman. I highly reccommend Westlake to anyone that wants to be challenged and forced to succeed.

Posted October 16, 2004

I am a junior at westlake high and I would like to congratulate every effort of hard work we have all put forth into our school. Our magnet program is awesome and provides challenges throughout all classes whether you have a honor class or not. I enjoy being at Westlake high. We great extracurricular activities, for example our band and auxiliary, and trust me we represent our school well. Our teachers are great and want the best for us, so since they want the best for us, they're giving us their all. Also our principal want us to be at an altimate high in our academics. So I encourage people to be apart of excellence and that's what our school portray.

Posted September 26, 2004

Westlake is a very good school. They provide a good education for children in a calm environment that is good for learning. I know this firsthand. I am an alumni of Westlake.

Posted August 5, 2004

Westlake is a good school and all but how can you be a magnet school that specialized in Math and Science and let a school, for example, Banneker High School pass you in those two subjects. To me Banneker High School is a better school.

Posted August 2, 2004

Westlake High School is one of if not the best high school in Fulton Co. and in the Atlanta area. The magnet program set students up for success after high school.

Posted August 26, 2003

My son has been on the magnet program since 9th grade, he is now in the 12th. This has been the most challenging program I've ever seen. All the teachers involved are very dedicated and Ms. Dotson makes sure everyone is dressed approriatley and conducts themselves in a mannerly fashion. If your child is looking for challenges this is the school for them.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

488 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2011.

487 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 93% in 2011.

488 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 80% in 2011.

486 students were tested at this school in 2011.

2009

Scale: % at or above passing

In 2010-2011 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Graduation Test (GHSGT) in English language arts, math, science and social studies to students in grade 11. The GHSGT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass all parts of the GHSGT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 95% in 2013.

397 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Writing Test (GHSWT) to students in grade 11. The GHSWT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass the GHSWT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

485 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

412 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

480 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

475 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

146 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

466 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

370 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

418 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• (404) 346-6410

Staff resources available to students
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options

Music
  • Choir / Chorus
  • Orchestra
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2400 Union Rd SW