Westlake High School

Public | 9-12 | 1914 students

Posted April 11, 2014

I absolutely love this school, I am enrolled In the magnet program here at WHS and it is great. I feel as if the teachers really care about my education and are there to help me when I need it. The principle is great, he truly cares about each student is determined on making WHS greater than what it is. The SAT prep classes that are offered throughout the day are wonderful and reassures me that I will do great on the test. I also feel that Westlake prepares students for college and the outside world in a great fashion. The school spirit here is also amazing, I look forward to waking up and going to school each and every day. This school is great!

Posted January 21, 2014

I went here 2008-2012, it's an overall great school compared to others in South Fulton County, honestly. I currently have a cousin who attends this school he's a junior this year. My nephew also went here same class as I, And my youngest brother for a little while. I liked everything about this school! Westlake is WELL known for its athletes also.

Posted June 10, 2013

This is going to be our 3rd year at Westlake High School. My children attendedvery small private schools through 8th grade. We then transitioned 9th grade in a public high school. My son is in the Magnet program. The teachers have been excellent, responsive and caring. The curriculum has been challenging and I am pleased with what my son has achieved the first two years. The Principal, Dr. Grant Rivera, wants Westlake High School to be a leadership school in Fulton County and I believe that he can take it there. This is a high school full of teenagers so yes, there are food fights and fights and typical teenage childish behavior but you will find that in any school. It is not all consuming. My son has not had any issues and we talk about what is going in the school every day. As parents, we want to make sure that he is in a safe environment. I challenge anyone to say that their high school has no disciplinary issues. The test scores have continued to improve each year. The magnet curriculum is becoming more challenging. My son has two more years there & my youngest will start in the magnet program as well this year. I can't wait to see what's ahead for Westlake!

Posted February 16, 2013

This school is basically the definition of "top of the bottom". It is a better school than mostly all of the other south Fulton County Schools and Atlanta Public Schools, but when compared to plenty of north Fulton County Schools, it doesn't shine as much. Everyday students are out skipping, every other day there is another fight, every week there is another food fight . . . or at least if feels that way. I am a freshmen here, just starting high school this school year. I was originally registered at Tri-Cities, however had my records transferred to Westlake in the beginning of the year. My counselor, seeing my "amazing" CRCT scores and grades, moved me in to as many honors classes as she could. Two weeks in though, my Honors Biology class got to big and most students were randomly moved to different a period. I, however, was moved to a regular level Biology class and noticed a drastic difference. I had never really considered the honors classes to be very challenging or the students to be extremely bright or anything, but being in that class made me appreciate the honors students much more. I'm not in the Magnet program so I don't have much to say on it. This is an okay school.

Posted December 29, 2012

Honestly, this school is not what it's cracked up to be. As a student, I feel that we are restricted in everything we do and there is virtually no freedom. Alot of the students can get away with whatever because the security guards only care at the beginning of the semester. There are always small food fights and I feel like alot of the staff has completely given up on discipline; most of them can't handle the kids. When some try to, they get in trouble with administration. The magnet program is a very big challenge, but that isn't necessarily good. There are a few problem teachers and when parents/students come with complaints, nothing much is done. In summary, the staff is OK; alot of the kids are crazy, careless, and don't get much punishment; and most importantly, there is no freedom unless a student sneaks around, which shouldn't even have to happen.

Posted December 14, 2012

This school is terrible and violent . It would not surprise me if the positive comments were prompted by Grant.

Posted November 15, 2012

I LIKE THIS SCHOOL ! It's awesome and has great funding . I don't care what nobody says , great athlete's come out here. & there test are good . They had 95% of there 11th graders pass the GHST . That's great . I Love there athletic departement , It's just great & he was my *th grade principle.

Posted December 15, 2011

Don't belive the hype!! Westlake is by far the best you can get in the area!! Dr. Rivera + awesome educators equals an awesome school!! We are who?? The LIONS!!! THIS TOO SHALL PASS!!

Posted November 11, 2011

Westlake is one of the best high schools in Atlanta. The APS HS don't compare. The SAT scores don't bare it out because EVERYONE takes the test therefore the scores are skewed. We know everyone is not college material. The new principal is doing a great job. Improvements have started. The facilities are the best. The academics are very good and getting better with the new leadership. The athletic teams are very competitive (competing on the state level), the band has improved greatly, other activities are lively. Within the next two years it will be an excellent school. Parents are welcomed with open arms. Can do a lot better with parental involvement, but those that are there are stellar.Truly becoming a great school.

Posted July 13, 2011

PLEAS PEOPLE EXCUSE THE BAD RUMORS,, For the people that think or says Westlake is a bad school your wrong I know its YOUR "opinion" but Westlake isnt so bad.. Like for example,, if your having problems out of students or teachers,, you just need 2 deal with them in the best manner "not attitude",, or just pull them aside 1on1 and you talk to them after class,, speak your mind,, tell them how you feel.. But Westlake is an awesome high school.. I mean we can sometimes have our bad days,, but hey wat school doesnt.? We learn something knew everyday, and we also have fun while we learning.. The students that are in sports,, are getting better and better everyday.. Hey even the teachers are getting better and better at teaching,, the students are getting better at learning everyday also..!!! BIG UPS 2 WESTLAKE HIGH(:

Posted June 29, 2011

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT give these people any money for any extracurricular events, more specifically PTSA events. There are some serious issues with the handling of funds. Check past news stories, talk to parents and alumni before you hand over anything. Chances are you will not get what you paid for, nor any refunds. Academically though, its a great school. Just be extra careful.

Posted April 8, 2011

I am a proud graduate of Westlake High School. During my time there, I felt Westlake was and still is a superb school. The athletics as well as the Magnet Program are the pride of Westlake. Recently, they have incorporated different academies to better serve the career interests of the student. Westlake is not perfect but they handle all problems efficiently. Since I graduated, Westlake has continued to improve and strive for educational excellence. I strongly recommend Westlake High School for any student.

Posted March 28, 2010

This is a bad school and they dont put kids first. I know this because, I'm a student this year!

Posted November 11, 2009

My daughter is a senior and we think Westlake is an awesome school with great leadership. I applaud the PTSA for their support of the seniors activities. Mr. White has orchestrated some great motivational program for the students. If anyone fails it is only because they do not utilize the great assistance that is already in place for their success.

Posted July 21, 2009

As far as south Fulton County schools go, I would put Westlake at the top of the list. I think the administration and teachers value education and it shows for the most part. There are teachers who will always teach onlyfor the paycheck, but the majority give an average to above average effort. Still, I wonder if that is enough and fair to our children on the 'southside' of Fulton. Our children continue to perform below students on the north side of Fulton, and I am concerned about that. The magnet program appears to be solid, and if your student happens to be 'magnet' you are lucky. The rest of the students must fend for themselves, be earnest about getting what they need educationally daily and try to stay away from the riff-raff that could care less about a free education. Good luck!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 27, 2009

Westlake is awesome. My daughter is a cheerleader and in the magnet program and is excelling very well. We don't have any problem with the children that attend that school and athletics are superb!!! I would recommend Westlake to anyone that is looking for a new high school for their child!! :)

Posted May 20, 2009

this school is great and advanced i have no complaints!!!

Posted May 15, 2009

Westlake High School thinks that its the best school to go to but they are dead wrong. They feel as though they don't have to respect Students or parents...this is by far the worst school to send your child

Posted May 10, 2009

I really have nothing to base Westlake on. Just depends if you get lucky. Some teachers good- some bad. Fairly safe school, fairly all-around good people. The administrators 'trip' about the dumbest things. Food Fight weekly previous to a Fight Weekly (per lunch period) I'm in the magnet program and i is hard. (9th grade) Honestly, get lucky and this school is A-OK. :)

Posted May 9, 2009

Greetings, I am a student at Westlake and I have been there since the 9th Grade. PLEASE disregard the negative comments some students have posted. Westlake is truly a school of Excellence. As others may say, it really is the BEST school in South Fulton. This school is just like all other schools. It has its ups and downs. But its getting back up that makes us the best school. I encourage ALL parents to send their child to Westlake High School. It will be an unforgettable Experience. -Make it a great day. Thanks

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

488 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2011.

487 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 93% in 2011.

488 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 80% in 2011.

486 students were tested at this school in 2011.

2009

Scale: % at or above passing

In 2010-2011 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Graduation Test (GHSGT) in English language arts, math, science and social studies to students in grade 11. The GHSGT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass all parts of the GHSGT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 95% in 2013.

397 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Writing Test (GHSWT) to students in grade 11. The GHSWT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass the GHSWT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

485 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

412 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

480 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

475 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

146 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

466 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

370 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

418 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• (404) 346-6410

Staff resources available to students
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options

Music
  • Choir / Chorus
  • Orchestra
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2400 Union Rd SW