Atlanta, GA
Students enrolled: 1,914

Posted April 11, 2014
I absolutely love this school, I am enrolled In the magnet program here at WHS and it is great. I feel as if the teachers really care about my education and are there to help me when I need it. The principle is great, he truly cares about each student is determined on making WHS greater than what it is. The SAT prep classes that are offered throughout the day are wonderful and reassures me that I will do great on the test. I also feel that Westlake prepares students for college and the outside world in a great fashion. The school spirit here is also amazing, I look forward to waking up and going to school each and every day. This school is great!

Posted January 21, 2014
I went here 2008-2012, it's an overall great school compared to others in South Fulton County, honestly. I currently have a cousin who attends this school he's a junior this year. My nephew also went here same class as I, And my youngest brother for a little while. I liked everything about this school! Westlake is WELL known for its athletes also.

Posted June 10, 2013
This is going to be our 3rd year at Westlake High School. My children attendedvery small private schools through 8th grade. We then transitioned 9th grade in a public high school. My son is in the Magnet program. The teachers have been excellent, responsive and caring. The curriculum has been challenging and I am pleased with what my son has achieved the first two years. The Principal, Dr. Grant Rivera, wants Westlake High School to be a leadership school in Fulton County and I believe that he can take it there. This is a high school full of teenagers so yes, there are food fights and fights and typical teenage childish behavior but you will find that in any school. It is not all consuming. My son has not had any issues and we talk about what is going in the school every day. As parents, we want to make sure that he is in a safe environment. I challenge anyone to say that their high school has no disciplinary issues. The test scores have continued to improve each year. The magnet curriculum is becoming more challenging. My son has two more years there & my youngest will start in the magnet program as well this year. I can't wait to see what's ahead for Westlake!

Westlake High School 3

Posted February 16, 2013
This school is basically the definition of "top of the bottom". It is a better school than mostly all of the other south Fulton County Schools and Atlanta Public Schools, but when compared to plenty of north Fulton County Schools, it doesn't shine as much. Everyday students are out skipping, every other day there is another fight, every week there is another food fight . . . or at least if feels that way. I am a freshmen here, just starting high school this school year. I was originally registered at Tri-Cities, however had my records transferred to Westlake in the beginning of the year. My counselor, seeing my "amazing" CRCT scores and grades, moved me in to as many honors classes as she could. Two weeks in though, my Honors Biology class got to big and most students were randomly moved to different a period. I, however, was moved to a regular level Biology class and noticed a drastic difference. I had never really considered the honors classes to be very challenging or the students to be extremely bright or anything, but being in that class made me appreciate the honors students much more. I'm not in the Magnet program so I don't have much to say on it. This is an okay school.

Westlake High School 3

Posted December 29, 2012
Honestly, this school is not what it's cracked up to be. As a student, I feel that we are restricted in everything we do and there is virtually no freedom. Alot of the students can get away with whatever because the security guards only care at the beginning of the semester. There are always small food fights and I feel like alot of the staff has completely given up on discipline; most of them can't handle the kids. When some try to, they get in trouble with administration. The magnet program is a very big challenge, but that isn't necessarily good. There are a few problem teachers and when parents/students come with complaints, nothing much is done. In summary, the staff is OK; alot of the kids are crazy, careless, and don't get much punishment; and most importantly, there is no freedom unless a student sneaks around, which shouldn't even have to happen.

Westlake High School 1

Posted December 14, 2012
This school is terrible and violent . It would not surprise me if the positive comments were prompted by Grant.

Posted November 15, 2012
I LIKE THIS SCHOOL ! It's awesome and has great funding . I don't care what nobody says , great athlete's come out here. & there test are good . They had 95% of there 11th graders pass the GHST . That's great . I Love there athletic departement , It's just great & he was my *th grade principle.

Posted December 15, 2011
Don't belive the hype!! Westlake is by far the best you can get in the area!! Dr. Rivera + awesome educators equals an awesome school!! We are who?? The LIONS!!! THIS TOO SHALL PASS!!

Posted November 11, 2011
Westlake is one of the best high schools in Atlanta. The APS HS don't compare. The SAT scores don't bare it out because EVERYONE takes the test therefore the scores are skewed. We know everyone is not college material. The new principal is doing a great job. Improvements have started. The facilities are the best. The academics are very good and getting better with the new leadership. The athletic teams are very competitive (competing on the state level), the band has improved greatly, other activities are lively. Within the next two years it will be an excellent school. Parents are welcomed with open arms. Can do a lot better with parental involvement, but those that are there are stellar.Truly becoming a great school.

Posted July 13, 2011
PLEAS PEOPLE EXCUSE THE BAD RUMORS,, For the people that think or says Westlake is a bad school your wrong I know its YOUR "opinion" but Westlake isnt so bad.. Like for example,, if your having problems out of students or teachers,, you just need 2 deal with them in the best manner "not attitude",, or just pull them aside 1on1 and you talk to them after class,, speak your mind,, tell them how you feel.. But Westlake is an awesome high school.. I mean we can sometimes have our bad days,, but hey wat school doesnt.? We learn something knew everyday, and we also have fun while we learning.. The students that are in sports,, are getting better and better everyday.. Hey even the teachers are getting better and better at teaching,, the students are getting better at learning everyday also..!!! BIG UPS 2 WESTLAKE HIGH(:

Westlake High School
2400 Union Rd SW, Atlanta, GA  30331
Last modified Westlake High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Westlake High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 76 reviews. Top