Spalding Drive Elementary School

Charter | PK-5 | 510 students

Posted November 15, 2010

Our family could not be happier at Spalding Drive Charter. We have been at the school for over 5 years and have three children attending. Each child is very different but all three have excelled academically. The quality of the teachers is above average and the principal does a great job of thinking outside the box. The technology focus of the charter allows our children to utilize tools that other children their age never even touch. If you are looking for a small neighborhood school, with a very warm, friendly atmosphere, then you will be happy at this school. You will be hard pressed to find the quality academics and down to earth feel in any other school in area.

Posted November 15, 2010

We have been at Spalding five years and could not be more pleased. Every teacher our daughter has had has been absolutely wonderful. The teachers encourage different forms of learning. Technology plays a big role in the school. Our daughter loves doing homework on the computer, learning spelling words by creating her own crossword puzzles online and other such inventive ideas to make learning fun.

Posted June 30, 2010

Our family is entering our 4th year at Spalding Drive Charter with a rising 4th grader, 3rd grader and kindergarten student. My husband and I have both been very pleased with how our children have been challenged academically. They have also broadened socially with exposure to a wide variety of experiences in and after school. We love the wholesome diversity at Spalding along wtih the tight-knit community. We were especially impressed with Spalding's first year with a major auction party fund-raiser that far surpassed all goals - a true testament to what can happen when school leadership, staff, parents and students all work hard together. Very pleased with our school choice!

Posted June 15, 2010

This school was not good for us. We realized it when kids went there, but we understood it even more when we moved and placed them in different school. When you have experience of really good school, Spalding drive compare to it is at very low level of education. There is a lot of haos going on in Spalding Drive. Tichers don't know what they are doing, half of the students don't even think about doing their home work and behave very poor at school. So the second half is always affected by this 50% of lazy children. Do not recommend.

Posted October 5, 2009

SDC is wonderful for my son. The teachers there take such pride in their work, and so the students do too. They offer many different ways for the parents to volunteer. They encourage parent involvement. It's just an amazing school.

Posted September 17, 2009

Spalding Drive Charter school is one of the best schools around. My son is a kindergartner at SDC and absolutely loves it. He used to have trouble paying attention before he started school at SDC. Now, in just a little month, he's already starting to read and do math! SDC is an excellent school. Their fundraiser this year, instead of going around selling that unhealthy candy, was a 'Tiger Trot-a-thon'. The students collected pledges and donations and ran small laps to raise money. It was such an awesome idea for a fundraiser! They make parent participation mandatory, which I think is wonderful. Parents should always be involved in their child's education. SDC is just an amazing school. I couldn't be happier having my son in that school.

Posted July 25, 2009

I can not say enough wonderful things about Spalding Drive Charter School. The Charter which focuses on teaching with technology has provided amazing opportunites for SDC students. SDC has Promethian whiteboards, digital cameras, computers, digital projectors and more in every classroom. Students are taught curriculum through daily computer lab use, virtual field trips, special software and learn claymation, web design, digital broadcasting among other skills. A strong music program offers guitar, chorus, band and orchestra. The majority of teachers are warm & caring. The Charter mandates parent involment hours and the parents are very involved with a strong PTA. Spaldings biggest issue has been overcrowding which will be relieved in the 2009-2010 school year with the opening of Ison Springs Elementary. The population is dropping from 700 students to 400. With all of these opptunities in a small school setting why pay for private school?

Posted July 20, 2009

My son completed Kindergarten at Spalding Drive and had a wonderful year. His reading and math skills are greater than we could have imagined. If I could have designed the perfect teacher for my son it would have been the teacher carefully selected for him based on his personality and abilities. We are looking forward to another great year at Spalding.

Posted May 27, 2009

My experience with Spalding Drive charter school was not great. After being at this school for 2 years both teacher starting from kindergarten and first was not that great. I would say please look each school before putting them into this school. They were focus more on the tag students verse all students. They were not teachers that cared about the students. What has happen to the school system. A young teacher can be good but also bad because they don't have the experience with children. I would not recommend this school at all.

Posted May 8, 2009

We moved here from out of state where we loved our children's schools. We were worried about the transition. Our children thrived at Spalding both academically and socially. I have worked at the school for the past several years so I have the dual perspective of parent and employee. Both experiences have been wonderful. Students are challenged and nurtured in a warm and caring environment. I don't know why parents would pay for private school when there is such a strong public school available.

Posted April 30, 2009

I have been fortunate to teach at Spalding for the last several years. The neighborhood is fantastic and the parents are so supportive. The class sizes are small and the staff is vibrant and caring. The administration makes the students the priority.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 29, 2009

I love Spalding! I moved to the Sandy Springs area when my son was ready to enter kindergarten. I was a bit nervous considering the reputation of Georgia public schools but I've been very impressed with Spalding. My son is now about to enter the 2nd grad and I'm absolutely amazed at how much he's learned and the level of commitment the teachers display. The school fosters parent involvement and they make you feel like the parent is a part of the school. I feel absolutely moved to volunteer and participate with the school as much as I can. The school truly feels like a community. The faculty, right down to the cafeteria staff are very helpful and truly care about the kids. The curriculum is AWESOME and I think it can stand up against private schools any day. Spalding is definitely a diamond in the ruff!

Posted April 1, 2009

We have been a part of the Spalding family for the last 5 years and have been very happy with our experience at this school. Ms. Young has done an outstanding job in recruiting and retaining wonderful teachers and promoting a loving and respectful environment for our children. Technology is a major focus of our charter. This has allowed Ms. Young to integrate the sort of experiences that this generation will use throughout their lives. Not only do they have Promethean white boards and LCD projectors available in every classroom, each grade is offered an enhanced technology skill such as web page design, video production and digital photography. When I consider the art and music programs offered to my kids, I feel my children have received a well rounded educational experience at Spalding Charter. My family is very fortunate to have such a great school right in my own neighborhood.

Posted April 1, 2009

My two children have been at Spalding since Pre-k and are now in the second and third grades. We have been very happy with Spalding! Our kids are challenged academically based on their own individual levels. The staff are warm and friendly, and the teachers are well qualified. Spalding has several computer labs, interactive white boards that are used in every classroom to enhance lessons, and a great art and music department. Overall, my children love going to Spalding and we are pleased with the education they are receiving.

Posted March 31, 2009

I moved to Spalding Drive Charter in the 2007-08 school year after having attended private school for years. I was very hesitant about my children going from a private to a public school. HOWEVER, I could not have been more impressed with this school and the administration! Spalding Drive Charter is a hidden treasure! I have not looked back since my children have been at SDC and absolutely love all it has to offer! My children are very happy, love their teachers and never want to leave Spalding Drive Charter!

Posted March 31, 2009

My two children have attended Spalding since Pre-K & we have had nothing but positive experiences. The staff is always helpful, the teachers top-notch and the gifted program is exceptional. My children have received individualized instruction based on their talents and have always been challenged to achieve higher. One of the most wonderful aspects of the school is the sense of community. Many families from the surrounding neighborhoods support the school & make it feel like a big family. We love it!

Posted November 12, 2007

I have had 3 students at Spalding, starting in 2000. The youngest is now in 4th grade. They have all had wonderful experiences there. The environment is warm and nurturing, yet provides challenges for high achieving students. The PTA is excellent. My only complaint is that many of the families in the neighborhoods do not consider it for their children because they have been told 'you can't send your kids to public school in this area.' Recently there seems to be some reversal of this trend, so I am hopeful.I have been very happy with the educational experience my children have had at Spalding. Check it out, I feel certain you'll like what you see.

Posted November 10, 2007

This school is excellent. Best in Fulton County by far!!! Teachers are great - they actually teach and the children learn something. Speech techer is great!!!! Ms. Finoli (often in the library) is just wonderful. My daughter loves this school and does quite well. Classrrom sizes are very acceptable. This school reminds me of my school growing up back home in Chicago. Way to Go Spaulding!!!!!!!

Posted July 6, 2007

My children transfered here from another school. Based on the reviews I thought this would be a much better school for them. The transition in the middle of the sholl year was not a good one. My children where just thrown into random classes. Not enough emphasis on CORE subjects. Tebhnology seems to be the primary interest.

Posted June 17, 2007

Spalding is a wonderful school. Both of our daughters have gone all the way through Spalding from Kindergarten through 5th grade. We have had excellent teachers and a challenging curriculum. The curriculum is as strong as private schools if not stronger. The diverse climate has been wonderful for our children as they are growing up in an ethnically diverse world in which they will be prepared for. I have always felt my children to be safe at Spalding. We are lucky to live in a neighborhood with such a great school.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

77 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

78 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

77 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

58 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

60 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

58 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

81 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

58 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Female 49%N/A49%

Fax number
  • (770) 673-4070

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

130 West Spalding Dr NE