Mays High School

Public | 9-12

Posted November 19, 2013

Our school is Benjamin E. Mays High School. Unfortunately, we are very disappointed with this school. Our children are in the Math and Science Academy. We are very concerned with the leadership of this school.

Posted September 14, 2013

I enrolled my ninth grader at Mays for the 2013-2014 school year in the Science and Math Academy, and I am beyond pleased with the educational opportunities afforded her. The principal and staff have been caring, accommodating, and very professional. Her teachers are caring, and are invested in seeing the children succeed. She is happy, and has adjusted well to her new school. They offer a rigorous curriculum, as well as a flurry of extracurricular activities. I feel it is an exceptional school in the Atlanta Public School System.

Posted April 10, 2013

Mays leadership and staff does not operate in the community's best interest. The principal and staff operates in a very unprofessional manner towards parents

Posted September 6, 2011

Something is seriously wrong with this school. It was at one time the school that everyone wanted to send their kids to. Not anymore! The new APS Superintendent and the Atlanta Board of Education need to review this school for a large list of problems including serious problems with the dress code, the counselors, discipline and administration. They should also randomly survey the parents. I have a senior who has to practically beg her counselors for an appointment. One counselor handles one academy, for example...there is a Science & Math Academy and the one counselor is assigned to all four grade levels. This school has almost 1800 students!!! This school must focus on their their students who are nearing graduation more. They seem to treat those in the Science & Math Academy with the utmost respect, and the other students are just there.

Posted July 29, 2011

I am an alumnae of B.E. Mays High School. I am a proud member of the Class of 2009! Mays was one of the best choices I could have made. What I want to know from these parents that are claiming that Mays is not an excellent learning institution is how much do you actually attend PTSA meetings, Wednesday conferences, and events? Mays prepared me well enough to get a full ride to Morehouse College. The Administration will only put forth as much effort as you are willing to offer yourself. If you only come to the school to curse someone out, they will not respond positively. Mays is THE top performing school in the district. As an alum, I still go back to Mays and offer goods and services to the school and to organizations. If you have so many negative comments about the school, HELP IT! You waste your time posting comments and not offering your services. Your taxes pay for your child's education. As an APS Alum (K-12), I will ALWAYS stay true to my district and the Blue and Gold! I saw issues with Mays, and I made changes via SGA. I even started a Freshmen-Senior Buddy Mentor Program. Did your kids tell you that? Before you write negative reviews, get involved! Mays High Til I Die!

Posted May 23, 2011

Former alumni. Sad to see how far the school has fallen from its former glory. Used to be one of the elite schools in the county; no less than a "9" for its Great Schools rating. Now it is a shell of what it was. Those fellow alumni that don't believe me need only go and take a visit. If you don't get turned around and shown the door, you will see that things have clearly changed for the worst. Athletics are still good, but that is where the excellence ends. The band program is no longer the same after the Legend retired. The academies are a mess since H.C. retired. And the discipline from the administration has been completely inconsistent since R.B. left. If this is not turned around quick because of the Good Ol' Boy network/politics, we will be just like "Thug"lass and "Waste"ington in a couple of years.

Posted December 7, 2009

This school is a great school compared to Douglass and Crim.

Posted September 27, 2009

I am very unhappy with the communication at Mays High School. The rules apply to some students and not to others. The dress code needs to be revised immediately! Attendance is poor and accepted at Mays. Parental involvement is only allowed for some parents. A parent can call and/or email Mays, leave a detailed message and phone number for various faculty numerous times and never get communication back. People who are dedicated to their profession, will take the time to call a parent back and should be pleased to have concerned parents. I do not like Mays for my child. We live in the Mays zone and I will try very hard to get an administrative transfer for my child out of Mays.

Posted February 3, 2009

I have two daughters at Mays due to rezoning. If it had not been for that I never would have chosen Mays for their curriculum. I think the problem with Mays starts with the head administration - Dr. Smith. He seems so out of touch with the students. I have not seen him interact with the students unless at a sporting event. My youngest daughter didn't know who he was when she saw him at a PTSA meeting, because he is never interacting with the students in the halls. I have never seen him at the events for the arts. It seems that unless it is a sporting event, he is not interested. I don't see how you can expect to have a great school and well rounded students when the head (principal) is not that way.

Posted January 22, 2009

My grandson has been attending Mays HS for the past two years and I am very pleased with his experience there. I think the band leader, Mr. Irving, is not only a great teacher, but a wonderful mentor and example to his students. I have read the negative reviews posted on this site by parents and students, but for the most part, some of those leaving negative comments need to brush up on their writing and spelling skills. As for the dress code, I totally approve. It's time our youth learned the difference between dressing for school and dressing for the club. As far as the pants falling down on the student's behinds, those students need to know that style came from prison and sent the message to other male inmates that the individual with their pants down was another man's 'woman', taken as a punk.

Posted October 2, 2008

My daughter was in this school for 3 days at the begining of the school year 2008-2009. I have never been treated so rudely by the staff and principle as I was at Mays. Besides some other issues of the students and the safety of the students. After the third day she was enrolled at Grady High. BEST CHOICE we ever made.

Posted September 15, 2014

Mays is the worst school i have ever attended! From the dress code to the teachers and students, mays is an overrated high school. I am currently attending mays, but I think I'm transferring to Grady or Douglass. Mays is an exprience i don't want to live through ever again!

Posted May 30, 2008

I am a freshmen at Mays only thing about Mays that I hate is that the dress code and how if you are a ninth grader and you dont pass one of your subjects like math social studies and science if you dont pass that you are getting kept back and do the same classes over

Posted May 27, 2008

I am a 2008 Graduate of Mays High School. My time spent here is and forever will be precious to me.

Posted January 31, 2008

My child is a sophomore at Mays and I think the school is great. The teachers that my child has had are caring, want the children to learn and are willing to go that extra step to help them. No school or system is perfect; but give credit where credit is due. Support our school - students, teachers, counselors and staff. Mays really does have a great program for the students.

Posted June 2, 2007

i think mays is not a good school for my children to attend because they have a bad behavior problem,academically,and their extra curriculum classes aren't very good either

Posted July 29, 2005

I'm a rising senior at Mays High and it is not as bad as some people are making it seems. Yeah we have our problems but what school doesn't. Whne it comes to academics and sports we are number one in the school district. Look at the rate of students passing the GHSGT and the EOCT. Parents I say enroll your kids today.

Posted July 9, 2005

Mays High School is a school that needs to get its act together in the APS School system. Education needs to go forth and also learning. It has been a unsuccesful year with my children being at Mays. Its time for a transfer where I know my kids can get somewhere to meet the high standards of a quality education.

Posted July 7, 2005

I think that Mays has one of the worse Administrative (Prinicpal, Vice Principal, Secretary, etc.) in the State of Georgia. I really cannot understand how anyone can have a job working with and around children, but yet hate children. I had two sons that attended Mays and it was one of the worse experiences that I have ever had.

Posted June 20, 2005

I'm a new ninth grader at B.E.Mays High. Dispite what most people think about Mays, they have very concerned teachers. They will do anything to get you to school to get an education. One of my teachers in the ninth grade came, and got me from my bus stop because I missed the bus. He went out of his way to come and get me. When your at Mays your not just a student your also apart of the Raider family.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

304 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2011.

302 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 93% in 2011.

305 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 80% in 2011.

306 students were tested at this school in 2011.

2009

Scale: % at or above passing

In 2010-2011 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Graduation Test (GHSGT) in English language arts, math, science and social studies to students in grade 11. The GHSGT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass all parts of the GHSGT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 95% in 2013.

238 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Writing Test (GHSWT) to students in grade 11. The GHSWT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass the GHSWT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

409 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

278 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

391 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

381 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

386 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

241 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

289 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

Fax number
  • (404) 699-6781

Foreign languages taught
  • French

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options