Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

This school just questions me. not very sure how to feel. constantly in the news, constantly having fights, and constantly just getting a down-graded image which has me curious as if this school is suitable for one to be at anymore. The teachers say they would most definitely do better, the kids speak as they seemingly would strive to grow and parents of the school would do the same. but the actions, solutions and outcomes of them all just dont grasp their intentions. just not very convinced that the school BE mays high school is serious enough to keep going on.

My son is a junior in the Math and Science Academy at Mays as well as having a daughter that graduated in 2010. I am very please with the education that my kids have received at Mays. I am an active parent as well as. My kids have been given the opportunity to study aboard, take summer course to get ahead, acheive academic and atheletic heights that I feel would not have happen at other schools in APS. I think that the new administrative staff at Mays... Mr. Fowler seems to be open and willing to interact with the parents and student. We can only hope that the changes in the district will be positive for everyone.

Our school is Benjamin E. Mays High School. Unfortunately, we are very disappointed with this school. Our children are in the Math and Science Academy. We are very concerned with the leadership of this school.

I enrolled my ninth grader at Mays for the 2013-2014 school year in the Science and Math Academy, and I am beyond pleased with the educational opportunities afforded her. The principal and staff have been caring, accommodating, and very professional. Her teachers are caring, and are invested in seeing the children succeed. She is happy, and has adjusted well to her new school. They offer a rigorous curriculum, as well as a flurry of extracurricular activities. I feel it is an exceptional school in the Atlanta Public School System.

Mays leadership and staff does not operate in the community's best interest. The principal and staff operates in a very unprofessional manner towards parents

Something is seriously wrong with this school. It was at one time the school that everyone wanted to send their kids to. Not anymore! The new APS Superintendent and the Atlanta Board of Education need to review this school for a large list of problems including serious problems with the dress code, the counselors, discipline and administration. They should also randomly survey the parents. I have a senior who has to practically beg her counselors for an appointment. One counselor handles one academy, for example...there is a Science & Math Academy and the one counselor is assigned to all four grade levels. This school has almost 1800 students!!! This school must focus on their their students who are nearing graduation more. They seem to treat those in the Science & Math Academy with the utmost respect, and the other students are just there.

I am an alumnae of B.E. Mays High School. I am a proud member of the Class of 2009! Mays was one of the best choices I could have made. What I want to know from these parents that are claiming that Mays is not an excellent learning institution is how much do you actually attend PTSA meetings, Wednesday conferences, and events? Mays prepared me well enough to get a full ride to Morehouse College. The Administration will only put forth as much effort as you are willing to offer yourself. If you only come to the school to curse someone out, they will not respond positively. Mays is THE top performing school in the district. As an alum, I still go back to Mays and offer goods and services to the school and to organizations. If you have so many negative comments about the school, HELP IT! You waste your time posting comments and not offering your services. Your taxes pay for your child's education. As an APS Alum (K-12), I will ALWAYS stay true to my district and the Blue and Gold! I saw issues with Mays, and I made changes via SGA. I even started a Freshmen-Senior Buddy Mentor Program. Did your kids tell you that? Before you write negative reviews, get involved! Mays High Til I Die!

Former alumni. Sad to see how far the school has fallen from its former glory. Used to be one of the elite schools in the county; no less than a "9" for its Great Schools rating. Now it is a shell of what it was. Those fellow alumni that don't believe me need only go and take a visit. If you don't get turned around and shown the door, you will see that things have clearly changed for the worst. Athletics are still good, but that is where the excellence ends. The band program is no longer the same after the Legend retired. The academies are a mess since H.C. retired. And the discipline from the administration has been completely inconsistent since R.B. left. If this is not turned around quick because of the Good Ol' Boy network/politics, we will be just like "Thug"lass and "Waste"ington in a couple of years.

This school is a great school compared to Douglass and Crim.

I am very unhappy with the communication at Mays High School. The rules apply to some students and not to others. The dress code needs to be revised immediately! Attendance is poor and accepted at Mays. Parental involvement is only allowed for some parents. A parent can call and/or email Mays, leave a detailed message and phone number for various faculty numerous times and never get communication back. People who are dedicated to their profession, will take the time to call a parent back and should be pleased to have concerned parents. I do not like Mays for my child. We live in the Mays zone and I will try very hard to get an administrative transfer for my child out of Mays.

Last modified Mays High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.