Young Middle School

Public | 6-8

Posted March 13, 2009

I am a current student at young middle school and I say that it was one of my favorite and educational evperinces of my life.

Posted February 6, 2009

I am so diappointed with Young. My daughter has been at Young for two years and it has been an awful experience for her and for me. The teachers don't communicate with the parents and the principals lack leadership . The perception that Young is a good school is incorrect. If you are considering enrolling your child at Young do your research on the faculty, principals,talk to other parents,and by all means visit the school.I would not want any child to have an unhappy experience in school at this age as my child is having.

Posted February 1, 2009

I am an 8th grade parent from JCY Middle School. My daughter has been a student here since 6th grade. These years have been years of change. This year, the students were relocated to Archer High because of the school's reconstruction. It left the administrator unprepared, not enough planning for activities, they switched to academies which is not successful, the teachers have a problem with communicating with parents beforehand and are not pro-active at all, the children dont have any respect, and there is not enough supervision. It makes you wonder if they are learning anything at all. If you dont have a self motivated student then you are in trouble because the teachers do more criticizing than motivating and encouraging the child to reach their fullest potential. The atmosphere that exists at present is certaintly not condusive to learning. I cant wait until my child moves on into high school.

Posted January 28, 2009

Im a parent who child attends JCY I love it and so does he.For the parents that rated the school low what school did you guys attended because it could be the lack of parent education with all the misspelled words that you guys type incorrectly.It dont all comes from school it has to start at home also then your child cant and will not be mislead by others.So parents lets get involve with your childs future as well as the teachers to not only help your child but help you also,its call PTA.My son academic grades are excellent and he is a member of the gentlemens club,football team, basketball, and will be track too,now top that i love JCY

Posted July 11, 2008

I am an 8th grade student (2008-2009) at JCY and it has been a wonderful learning experience for me. I am also a cheerleader at this school and the organization is great!! For all of you parents who say your children's grades dropped, maybe its your child's fault. Yes, there are distractions, but there are distractions in every school. I have been a straight A student since I started school and have straight As even at Young Middle School. The principal and the teachers are great!! I recommend this school to anyone who wants a good public school experience!!

Posted July 11, 2008

Posted August 23, 2007

JCY is not a school for any student that wants to learn and be taught. I am an active father with my son attending this non school. His academics went from challenge to joke. The teachers were more concerned with calling for lost books by my son but not about the his status and conduct throughout the year. I was not only available at all times but was there on-stie trying to develop a rapport with the faculty. The 6th grade was a joke but has been corrected. If you do not care about success then sent them there. I took my son out and to a school that has concerned teachers.

Posted November 26, 2006

My child went to this school for 3 years and I have to admit that this was the biggest mistake of my life. The teachers had a don't care attitude. The principal wasn't any better. I strongly urge you that if you are deciding to send your child to this school..think twice or even three times about it.

Posted August 25, 2006

Our daughter went to JYC for her entire middle school career. We were extremely pleased the education she received. The teachers were supportive of students. The teachers also made it a routine to communicate with us regarding our daughter's academic progress. JYC overall environment was unlike some middle schools I have visited. Parental involvement was great--a strong and active PSTA. The annihilative staff had a keens sense of the age group they were serving and generally provided the age appropriate sensitivity and nurturing needed. Our daughter received an very good education and preparation for higher learning at JYC.

Posted May 19, 2006

I attended young middle school 4 a short peorid of time and I recived a great education and a place to go when ever it's need.

Posted January 10, 2006

My daughter was a 6 grade student at JCY and was voluntarily withdrawn because of the negative influence that attracked her attention. As a parent I had to monitor her academics and behavior and noticed that both had changed for the worse, which is when I decided to take another route and place her in a charter school. The teachers at JCY can do aot better job if the students will allow them too. Periodically, I would check on my daughter and notice how disruptive and disrespectful some students were. The unfortunate part about it is that they are missing out on so much of life's preparation. This school could have potential with more parental involvement and less police involvement. I am happy for those students that have excelled at JCY and wish the continuing students many blessings.

Posted April 27, 2005

I'm a former student of JCY and I guess that the quality of the school really depends on how active and dedicated the child is. If the child has strong academic skills (or is determined to acquire them) then the teachers and faculty are tremendously receptive. However, there are opportunities for students for fall through the cracks. The classes are large, the library is 'ok' or at least adequate, and there is a high teacher turnover rate in some departments. Also, there are just some students who aren't there to learn, so they can prove to be distractions during vital class lessons. Overall, I had a wonderful time at JCY. Everyone is very supportive if you're willing to work (and that goes for parents as well as students.) (JCY Class of '97, WFU Class of '05)

Posted February 11, 2005

i was a student at jcy from 6th- 8th grade. my learning expreience was awesome. i also have some of the most rememerable experiences of my life there. i am currently a sophmore in high school and an honor student. jean childs young middle school is a grear learning enviornment for any middle schooler or soon to be middle schooler.

Posted August 10, 2003

I went to Young Middle School for one year and had a wonderful experience I will never forget. I am currently ranked #2 in my junior class thanks t the wonderful learning experience and leadership quality I got from JCY. There are few negative things I can say about JCY, but I could talk about the positive points forever.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

318 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

319 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

320 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

330 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

329 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 93% in 2013.

332 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

330 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 95% in 2013.

333 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 85% in 2013.

340 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

339 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

312 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

312 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 97% in 2013.

313 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

323 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

324 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 82% in 2012.

235 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

• Thomas Kenner
Fax number
  • (404) 699-6794

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now