North Atlanta High School

Public | 9-12 | 1240 students

Posted January 15, 2010

As a student, the best way to describe North Atlanta is by stating that it is governed by paradox and contradiction. For example, the graduating class of 2009 (which had no more than 250 students) earned $16 million in scholarship money, but the composite SAT score for the whole school was 1378. There are more people who live out of zone that aren't in the magnet program than in-zone residents in the whole school. Basically, if you are not in the IB or pre-IB program, then you can kiss all your aspirations of a quality education good-bye. The arts program has atrophied significantly since the closing of the magnet; today, people are in the program so they can chill all day. To any parent reading this: if you can get your child into the International Studies program, then send your child here. There is no guarantee for a quality education otherwise.

Posted December 7, 2009

Our son graduated from North Atlanta High School in June. He achieved much and soared for the stars with the help of some of the most dedicated, and talented teachers I have ever met. North Atlanta uses the resources its diverse population to help all students achieve. There is no attitude of 'self-entitlement' here, and that is so refreshing. In the 2009 graduating class, $16 million dollars in scholarships were awarded to North Atlanta students. In these tough economic times, why pay tuition for high school when the outcome can be even more positive in a public school? These students actually have a better chance of getting into the college of their dreams, if they work hard and use their talents. My observations is that is not true in the private arena.

Posted November 29, 2009

North Atlanta High School what can I say? For starters I would ignore most of the parent comments because they don't attend the school. Im currently attending North Atlanta and I absoultly disappointed. I heard this great stuff about the school, doesn't live up to it's exspectations. They hassle you to get into the school. And then you don't even get to be on the arts team if thats what your going there for.That team is full. The classes horrid. Some of the teachers care and some are pushovers. Personally I think they all have probably lost some of there pysch while working there. Highly rude staff.I think some of them are just there to eat. No discipline what so ever. My friend got hit in the head with a football at lunch and they still continue to throw that football around today. Im scared I'll fail End of Course Test.

Posted May 16, 2009

This is a great school. We have many activities to choose from for our electives and the base that is laid during 1st and 2nd year will help each and every student for the rest of their lives.

Posted April 7, 2009

I currently have a sophmore student who attends North Atlanta. I have no regrets for sending my child here each day. This school is awesome and I have great communication with all the teachers .The IS program has been been very rewarding and challenging. I look forward to my 8th grader coming over next year.

Posted September 10, 2008

Currently, I'm a student at North Atlanta, and I love it here. Despite the rumors, North Atlanta's IB program is very hard. I've learned so much from all of my classes and its only our fifth week of school. Not only is North Atlanta a great school academically, but it's very diverse. I've learned about many new cultures. I highly recommend this school! It's the best!

Posted August 12, 2008

I am attending North Atlanta High School and I like the experience there. It's really easy to make friends and you can be yourself. The classes can be very challenging but also rewarding in the future. I'm a junior and it seems like a long road before I will be able to graduate but I know that the faculty and staff will provide all the support and I appreciate the hard work through all these years

Posted April 18, 2007

I think that North Atlanta has a lot of potential to be a great school. There are some great teachers, and some not so great teachers. There are some great classes, and some not so great classes. There are some strong students here at NAHS, and they come from some strong parents that are very involved in NAHS. We also have a new principal, Mr.Mygrant, my old Middle School teacher that worked wonders there, coming next school year, so I think that he will bring a lot of much needed improvement here at NAHS.

Posted May 3, 2006

As a graduate of NAH, I was truly satisfied with my high school education. I currently attend one of top liberal arts colleges in the country and NAH certainly prepared me for the rigorous curriculum that I face now. If you really want to go somewhere after high school, NAH can definitely send you there; but only if you desire it. NAH is without a doubt the best high school in the Atlanta Public School System. This school has so many opportunities and advantages, the student just has to make use of them.

Posted October 7, 2005

I graduated from NAHS and couldn't imagine going to any other Atlanta school. Some of the finest teachers in America are at that school and Im sad to see them losing a wonderful principal. NAHS has everything a parent and student could ask for.

Posted September 30, 2005

This school is wonderful and one of the best high schools in atlanta. Currently, there are great academics and I am learning so much more than i ever thought i would. The performing arts program is not only great, but they have fun and there are so many clubs you are able to join. I know so many parents involved in this school, it's almost as if they attend it. The parents are great and help us out a lot.

Posted June 20, 2005

The real truth about North Atlanta...there is absolutely no discipline. The students basically run the class. You won't really get an education unless you are in the IB or AP classes. Which is totally unfair. To me, choosing the right high school is super important. Those four years are extremely important in preparing you for college and life after high school. I found out the hard way when I took the SAT and was completely unprepared because of my education at North Atlanta.

Posted June 4, 2005

North Atlanta High is a great school who is losing a great principal. Several great leaders have left NAHS in the last 3 years. I just hope that these quality leaders can be replaced with other quality leaders who really care about discipline, school safety, the students, and adequate school structure and climate.

Posted November 7, 2004

I had a daughter that just graduated in May from NAHS and I also have a son that is a junior there and I wouldn't send my child to any other Atlanta Public School. I have been very pleased with the school and all of the extracurriculum activities that the school has to offer. There is no school that is free from problems, but I do know that at NAHS the staff there does enforce all the rules and doesn't tolerate the nosense. And there is a great presence of parent involvement. I know that I'm one parent that has been truly involved in all of the activities that my children were involved in. NAHS staff please keep up the good work because it only shows in your students and you're not in the 'needs improvement' category, like some other Atlanta Public Schools.

Posted October 7, 2004

One of my daughter's graduated from NAHS in 2000 and at that time the school was a great place to attend. I presently have a 10th grader who attends NAHS and the student body has changed so much that it is no longer a great school to attend. My daughter likes the school but she does not realize what the school was like before and all of the opportunites just 4 years ago. She is doing a great job in school and I will let her remain there as long as she is maintaining a high average. I wish there were more parents who cared about the welfare of their children and the value of getting a good education. Parents please make your children behave and spend more time learning and less time getting into trouble.

Posted February 8, 2004

This is a good school with good teachers. They give too much homework for one night but that just goes to show that they enforce the education upon the students. The school is safe and there are many after-school activities to further the education of the students.

Posted February 8, 2004

This school has been great for me. The teachers are nice but strict when they need to be. They go over the material that we need to know for the SAT's and overall it's just a really good school.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

188 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2011.

185 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 93% in 2011.

189 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 80% in 2011.

188 students were tested at this school in 2011.

2009

Scale: % at or above passing

In 2010-2011 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Graduation Test (GHSGT) in English language arts, math, science and social studies to students in grade 11. The GHSGT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass all parts of the GHSGT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 95% in 2013.

208 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Writing Test (GHSWT) to students in grade 11. The GHSWT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass the GHSWT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

412 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

321 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

430 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

311 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

210 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

378 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

301 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• (404) 351-8763

Foreign languages taught
  • French
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options