North Atlanta High School

Public | 9-12 | 1240 students

Posted June 22, 2014

My child just graduated from North Atlanta High School and was admitted (early decision) to one of the top public universities in this country. I think that says it all.

Posted May 31, 2014

We love the North Atlanta High School community -- wonderful students, parents, teachers, coaches and a beautiful new facility.

Posted May 14, 2014

My son is in the IB Program at NAHS. It is definitely challenging but I never hear him complain. Not only do his teachers know him well, but also most of the staff at NAHS . He has thrived in the busy environment and has time for after school activities. I look forward to having my younger child go there because NAHS continues to improve every year!

Posted May 14, 2014

This school is a hidden gem in the already strong Northern Cluster of schools. The principal weaknesses are the APS administration and the historic lack of breadth in parental involvement. Those two deficiencies are being addressed, thanks to a new school board and Superintendent, and a terrifically-engaged core group of parents who are changing the paradigm around parental involvement. I believe our child will be very well prepared for life after high school because of our decision to send her here. The teachers are fantastic as a whole. If your child wants and needs an engaging school experience, this is a very good option.

Posted May 14, 2014

I am a parent of two children who have been in the aps northern cluster of schools since they started kindergarten. We have been very pleased with each of the schools, North Atlanta in particular. The teachers are wondetful and my children are thriving. I feel they will be well prepared for college and beyond, especially in the ib program. The parents are all dedicated and spend numeroes hours helping at school. We, as a community, are fortunate to have North Atlanta in our cluster .

Posted May 14, 2014

I have 2 kids that are taking AP and IB Diploma Program courses. There is plenty of rigor to be found at North Atlanta. There is a niche for every type of learner and every type of personality. It's a large public school so come with a positive attitude and roll up your sleeves to help make it better and better. I'm an involved parent, so if a concern arises, I address it quickly and in a positive manner. I think that's the key to a satisfactory experience at any school. APS is making major changes downtown so that bodes well for our future. Another good sign is that my kids enjoy their school despite the ups and downs that APS has created for us. It's really all about the teachers---we have so many great ones. The kids will attest to that. I do think we need more administrative support though. Our big campus could use more staff!

Posted May 13, 2014

North Atlanta is a school that is disorganized and segregated. If your child is not in honors classes or above, it's like the teachers do not care. They let the classes run with little prep, structure, or direction. I have one son who is in 9th grade and another who will be going to 9th grade and I'm desperately looking for another school. The school might be beautiful, but it is a clear example of why one should not judge a book by it's cover.

Posted November 26, 2013

I had a bad experience at North Atlanta High School. My son attended the school for three years and Im not judging the school based off of him but based on the way the faculty handled problems, professionalism,lack of regard for parents, no control of students, etc..I feel the school needs more qualified office staff, more friendly officials, more order in the school. I liked the school when it was at the old location better. The new school is like an office couple, doesn't even seem like a school. The staff, the teachers seem to have no etiquette or friendliness at all to parents. I really am clueless to what a mess this school is in and what a waste of tax money.. I took my child from the school and will gladly pay $30k a year for a quality and caring educational environment at a private school.....Sorry I wasted my time and my child's time...Decisions about schools affect your childs entire life...........

Posted December 23, 2012

I love the fact that north atlanta high school gives children the option ti do what they want as long as they do there class work.

Posted October 27, 2012

I have a sophomore, senior (and a graduate who is doing very well in college) at North Atlanta High School. The IB program is fabulous and prepares the students well for college. Five years ago I did not feel comfortable sending my children to this school, but now I feel totally comfortable and it is due to the hard work and dedication of Mark Mygrant and the other team members that were ousted by Errol Davis and his cronies on the APS school board. Yes, we are excited about Dr Taylor coming and I am certain that he will make some positive well needed changes, but the way the transistion was handled was UNPROFESSIONAL and unjustifiable. The facts and figures Errol threw around have proven to be untrue,. His actions were politically motivated and he needs to GO. We must not let his contract be extended.

Posted October 26, 2012

I am the parent of a sophomore. I went to the number 1 ranked public high school in the nation. NAHS isn't anywhere close. The teaching is mediocre, at best, and the administrative staff, up to now has proven to be below average. One of the most recent hires, a chemistry teacher, appears to be disinterested in her subject area and students. An honors English teacher was brought on a month after the school year began, despite the fact that the administration had many months foreknowledge that the her predecessor was retiring. There are frequent fights among students - particularly among the girls - it appears. The only light at the end of the tunnel is that the Superintendent of APS is finally cleaning house. But, the jury is still out. The new guys has a challenging job awaiting. He begins next week.

Posted October 10, 2012

We decided to try public school after moving from S. Fulton, after reading some reviews about the programs offered. What a mistake, the students are divided totally along racial lines, with inappropriate language and respect issues unchecked. It's a shame ,but students shouldn't have to fend off constant harassment and clicks, let alone elements that are dangerous. Back to private school!

Posted August 13, 2012

My child is new to this school, and I have heard a lot of great things about their I.B program which I am looking forward to.....

Posted August 11, 2012

I am currently a Junior at NAHS in the Journalism SLC. I love the school and would recommend it to most people. There is a sense of community and diversity at our school that my private school friends dont have or understand. I think the classes are less challenging than some other schools in the area, but the IB program is very good and prepares you well for collage. Teachers at NAHS are just like at other schools, sometimes they are great, sometimes not so great. The International Studies SLC is the best SLC for a more serious student because most of the students have similar motivation. We have a very diverse set of electives including 4 languages (French, Spanish, Chinese, and Arabic), several art classes, dance classes, drama classes, guitar, music tech, newspaper, film, anthropology, and yearbook just to name a few. The best part of this school isnt the academics though, they are good, and students have proven you can get into a good school (last year a friend of mine went to Harvard), but it is the life experience. I met people at NAHS I would never have met at private schools in the area and I feel like because of that I will be able to function better in a normal world.
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 24, 2011

This is a horrible school where incompetent teachers are protected and communication with parents is greatly discouraged. Get your child in another school if at all possible.

Posted April 12, 2011

I'm a student at North Atlanta. I can honestly say that this school is not living up to my expectations. It can offer great things, such as the I.B programs. However, as a sophomore, I am not in the I.B program (yet, next year I will be) and the teachers are horrible. Half of my classes are being controlled by the students, not the teachers, and parent complaints to the Principal get you nowhere. I actually came upon this website when looking into other schools, because I plan on switching to a private school for my junior and senior years of high school. The I.B program is not enough to keep me at this school. I'm disappointed! -Sophomore Girl at North Atlanta, International Studies Program
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 15, 2011

North Atlanta is an excellent High School if you lay the ground work..i.e...PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT. Teachers are teaching...so send your child(ren) prepared to excel academically and socially. Excellent atmosphere in a very nice area of Atlanta...nice campus...sort of like a small college campus. Friendly and VERY visible Principal. Behavior by a few....as in the previous post ...are the exception. GO WARRIORS!

Posted February 4, 2011

I attended a girls' basketball game in your gym February 4 and was shocked at the suggestive and inappropriate dancing of the cheerleading team. It was equivalent to something you might see at a men's club. Shouldn't a school be a safe haven for our children against the decaying moral standard that has invaded our society. Shouldn't our schools set the moral standard for our children. In years past, this would have been considered a serious enough transgression to disban the athletic program. Not only was it very disheartening to see this behavior in our schools, but, also to see the tolerance by the staff.

Posted April 15, 2010

I have a junior and a freshman at NAHS. They attended Sarah Smith and Sutton. We are extremely happy with North Atlanta High School. My sons are getting a quality education from many talented teachers. Mr Mygrant and the entire administration are very competent. There is a warm feeling at the school. I have heard of very little fighting and no bullying at all. I am at the school quite a bit volunteering and I have heard some bad language from the kids but I make it a point to tell them that it is inappropriate, I usually receive a sorry, maam. Actually, I frequently hear yes maam and yes sir around the school which is very refreshing. I think this school is great and I will continue to send my kids here. I have one at Sutton this year who is a straight A student, he will go to NAHS.

Posted April 14, 2010

Have had a pretty good public school experience until now. My son attended Sarah Smith, then Sutton Middle School and now he is a 9th grader at North Atlanta. Was excited about Mark Mygrant (former Sutton Middle School principal) taking over North Atlanta. My son is in the Arts School and there are many wonderful and dedicated teachers, however lack of communication and lack of response from administration about fighting, bullying, no bus service for weeks at the begining of the school year, poor maintenance of the school grounds (i.e. parking lot behind the gym is pitch black, the field has a dinky set of tiny alumnimum bleachers and the sign outside our gym continues to say 'GY_NASIUM' after a multi-million dollar renovation is extremely frustrating. Also, fowl language is prevelent among students and they are allowed to wander the campus after-hours w/out supervision. Sorry to say, we're very dissapointed.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

188 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2011.

185 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 93% in 2011.

189 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 80% in 2011.

188 students were tested at this school in 2011.

2009

Scale: % at or above passing

In 2010-2011 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Graduation Test (GHSGT) in English language arts, math, science and social studies to students in grade 11. The GHSGT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass all parts of the GHSGT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 95% in 2013.

208 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Writing Test (GHSWT) to students in grade 11. The GHSWT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass the GHSWT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

412 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

321 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

430 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

311 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

210 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

378 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

301 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• (404) 351-8763

Foreign languages taught
  • French
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options