No rating

Christ the King School

Private | K-8 | 556 students

Catholic Education

Living in Atlanta

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $355,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $910.

Sweep tile

Posted February 4, 2014

My daughter started CTK School in 7th grade. I must say they are a fabulous school!! We are very impressed with their academics. The school has been very welcoming to my daughter and family. We transferred over from another private catholic school in Atlanta. If we could do it over, we would have chosen CTK School from K -8

Posted January 23, 2014

My children started attending CKS mid in their school career. I wanted a school that was Catholic faith based as well as a school with higher than normal educational standards. CKS has completely over shot my expectations which were high to begin with. We live a little further away from the school than most of the families and have a different home life situation but my children were completely accepted by the other children and I know they are in a safe and loving community. The higher standards of education have really pushed my children to excel and I cannot rave enough about the loving Christian environment of the school.

Posted January 21, 2014

Christ the King is a well-rounded institution and among the best bargains in town for private education. The curriculum is challenging, the environment is nurturing, and the community is supportive and loving. As a Catholic school, an appropriate emphasis is placed on faith - and this is backed by faculty, administration and parents alike. My children are receiving excellent educations and have also made wonderful friendships.

Posted January 21, 2014

Christ the King has been a fabulous school for my daughter. The academic quality (Blue RIbbon School) combined with the faith based education makes CKS a great place for a child to learn and grow. My daughter has only had fantastic teachers in the 5 years she's been there and the principal has such passion for the children and the school. Uniquely though, Christ the King has a strong sense of community btw the students, parents and faculty. I would highly recommend the school for anyone considering.

Posted January 21, 2014

I think CKS is a wonderful school. I have 2 children that attend and I have found the community to be beyond exceptional. I think the Catholic beliefs are inherent from the top leaders to the teachers and are instilled not only in the environment every day, but also in our children. I have been impressed by the teachers and the influence they have had on my children academically and socially. They seem to have a deep understanding of my children's strengths/weaknesses and clearly demonstrate their dedication to learning and teaching every day. I would highly recommend it to anyone I know. We've loved our experience here and I think the core values that are executed every day are setting a solid foundation for my children in the future.

Posted January 21, 2014

I have 4 children at Christ the King school and I could't be happier. It meets all my families needs. A great academic environment is important to me as my husband and I are both from an Ivy League background. We have found that the children are more than prepared academically for the next step - Middle School and High School. An appropriate emphasis is placed on spirituality and service. CKS provides an incredibly nurturing, caring, supportive environment. The teachers are second to none. There is a great focus on building on my children's weaknesses and boosting their strengths while working cohesively with others. The community is very strong and we feel that is very important. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted January 21, 2014

School's greatest strength is exceptional community spirit. Outstanding academics as well as religious education and service. Excellent relationship between school and church. Strong parent volunteerism. Very fortunate to be a part of CKS!

Posted January 16, 2014

We have been at Christ the King for 6 years and have been completely happy with the quality of teachers and the administration. My children have thrived (academically and spiritually) at this school. No complaints at all!

Posted November 13, 2013

A mediocre school from top to bottom. Obviously, given the zip code, you have mostly kids from upper level socio-economic backgrounds. There is next to no diversity (which, disturbingly, seems to be a desired situation for this nearly all-white institution). The level of religious interruptions, without question, lower test scores and academic achievement without promoting authentic spirituality. This school makes you choose between academic excellence and a relentless, religious ( and curiously passionless) overkill. The administration's supine and completely submissive approach to parents mean you are are only a tantrum or two away from achieving whatever grade you think your child deserves. Don't worry: the Administration will never back up the teacher or the institution in the face of unreasonable demands.

Posted July 13, 2013

Not for everyone. CTK provides a structured, safe, and Catholic environment. The level of involvement among parents is a high point, as others have indicated here. It is of course not diverse, though how or why that should be the basis of disappointment beggars belief (is it possible to enroll your child there without knowing this?). The quality of teaching - most notably in the troubled middle school - is average to poor. With perhaps two exceptions, our experience (multiple kids over 10+ years) found uninspired, knuckleheaded, and often downright mean-spirited educators (though the label "educators" may be misplaced here, lol). Not the place to nurture a kid's academic interest or intellectual curiosity. CTK is best at fostering an environment of unquestioned adherance to rules-the more mundane and churlish the better. I'm a veteran of Catholic education- administered by full fledged, habit-wearing, ruler-wielding nuns. They'd a certain zeal for order too - but unlike CTKs staff - they matched it with a passion for teaching. Bottom line: a bad place for gifted kids; same/marginally worse academically than a public school, differentiated with the addition of religous instruction.

Posted January 21, 2011

We currently have 4 children at Christ the King School and could not be happier with the academics, environment, and safety aspect of this school. We looked at 3 other schools and this was our first choice for our children. Christ the King provides a loving, nurturing and adademically strong school while providing a greatr foundation for all of these kids to be leaders. The principal has been there for many years but is very approachable and open to any parent suggestions to improve things for the school. The teaching staff has been excellent and consistent throughout the grades. There is a very active Parent Volunteer Assoc. I like that there is diversity, both ethnic and also some non-catholic students, in the school. This is perhaps not as high as some people would like but I feel that school is not the only place that kids should be exposed to diversity. There are after school activity options that have increased greatly in the last year for all grades. The sense of community is great even though students come from the entire metro area. This school makes helping the surrounding community a priority as well.

Posted March 29, 2010

Christ the King is an excellent school overall. The school does a great job with academics, environment and many other areas. When comparing the material my children are learning to other neighborhood kids attending public school, I am consistently amazed on how far behind the public school children are. I am not sure why comments have been made about lack of diversity because in real life not every environment or situation is completely diverse and I do not rely 100% on the school for my child s exposure to other races. I think the only real factor holding the school back is the long resident principal. She has been there to long and some fresh thinking is badly needed. Over all A-!

Posted March 21, 2009

CTK is an outstanding school. We have two children currently enrolled and a third on his way there. We couldn't be more happy with the quality of education, safety and overall nurturing environment that CTK offers. I do agree the school could be more diverse but the comments about pretentiousness are out of line. Admin, faculty and parents are all very nice to be around. CTK is truly a gem in the heart of Buckhead. Your child is very safe and will be very well educated at CTK.

Posted March 19, 2009

Highly disappointing and frustrating experience. The quality of teaching was adequate but the unprofessional and unorganized administration is the major flaw of this school. In our 3-year experience, we found the general community of the school to be insular and lacking in diversity. As far as the curriculum, the basic fundamentals are offered but is sorely lacking the variety and choice of classes I've found at other schools. The variety of extracurricular programs, such as sports and after school clubs, is limited as well. Based on our own experiences, I would recommend looking elsewhere if you're seeking a quality Catholic education.

Posted October 24, 2007

Christ the King is truly a wonderful school. We have been so impressed with the amount of parent concern and involvement. The teachers are not there for the money (obviously) rather they are interested in educating your child. The school is all about instilling self-confidence and independence in your child along with giving them a good education and Christian based values. They do not allow children to form groups and this is enforced at the principal level. Truly one of the best schools around!

Posted May 2, 2007

We chose to leave this school because of the lack of diversity and pretentiousness on the part of the the parents and staff. Clearly I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder, but had we had a good experience with them than we'd still be there and I wouldn't be giving them a bad review. The academics were very strong as well as the parental involvement. It's just not a place for liberal, middle-class families. Be aware.

Posted August 19, 2005

I think this is a premier K-8 school in the Atlanta area. The environment is very nuturing, the teachers and other faculty members are great. We were a little worried at first because of where this school is in the city (Buckhead) but we were very surprise that the environment isn't pretentious at all. They have lots of extracurricular activities for the children and the parent involvment is awesome. The only thing I wish they had was more minority students. I think they could do more to attract minorities to the school.

Asian 1% 2%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Gym

Gifted & talented

Clubs
  • National Honor Society

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • None

Staff resources available to students
Extra learning resources offered
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Music room
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Atlanta

Performing arts
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts
  • Girl scouts
  • National Honor Society
  • Student council/government

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom