No rating

The Galloway School

Private | PK-12 | 747 students

Students at Galloway develop an abiding love for learning.

Living in Atlanta

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $345,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Posted October 24, 2013

Let's just stick to the facts! This school is internally a mess with massive leadership changes every year. In the last 10 years they have had: 6 Headmasters, 3 Admission Directors, 3 EL Principals, 7 ML Principals, 6 ML Asst Principals. Need I say more! Also they started a new Annual Giving Campaign last year where you are required to donate. They are so desperate to achieve 100% parent support (even if its fake support) that if you don't give you get called into the office with a "talk" on how you won't be invited back if you don't donate money. People are giving only because they have to. Yes of course, not all students/teachers are below average but overall its just a very low budget school. Not all administration is poor either, there are definitely ones there who want to do the right thing. Its just that everyone is new and no one is running the school. They are just trying to hold the school together. Internally it's not a well-oiled machine. Most kids need tutors from the poor teaching in Math/English. The internal tutors stay very busy/well paid. Kids love it because its a big party everyday. Their parents think the kids love it so it must be good.

Posted September 25, 2013

I graduated from Galloway in 2009 and went there for almost my entire life. There was never a point in my school career where I wished I went to a different school. Upper Learning helped prepare me for college, especially when it came to writing. I found that I was one of the few students in my freshman English class who knew how to write a successful essay, thanks to Galloway. The teachers are so kind and understanding, and your peers are actually the best people on this earth. I am still best friends with the girls I went to school with in Early, Middle and Upper Learning. I truly felt like the Galloway community wanted me to succeed and always challenged me to do my best.

Posted August 1, 2013

The Galloway School has been a challenging and supportive environment for my son. We came to Galloway from a traditional Buckhead private school and have been thrilled with the depth of the academic offerings and the unpretentious atmosphere. A great school!

Posted June 7, 2013

Galloway is a fabulous school and allows our children to learn in a fun environment, thus allowing them to retain the information that is taught to them. I would not classify it as a school for "different" kids, however, a school for kids who are accepted for who they are. They are not expected to fit into a box. The leadership is exemplary and the kids are well adjusted. I would highly recommend this school for a family who is looking for their child to be well educated, confident, kind and happy!

Posted June 7, 2013

I feel so blessed to have found The Galloway School 7 years ago... and it just keeps getting better. The new Head of School has taken something great and begun an improvement program which has already made significant impact. The strong culture has been re-energized and the future looks bright! The staff and teaching changes are just what the school needed and the internal and external communication has improved ten-fold. The leadership is aligning and I am excited to enter this next chapter in the amazing history of this unique, cutting-edge school. While I wouldn't say that the school was broken... it definitely had hit a plateau. It is fun to begin the climb again and the students, faculty, and staff are rising to the challenge. Whether it be academics, sports, arts, or any other area -- Galloway continues to focus on Mastery while building a Community I am honored to be a part of. That's so Galloway... Go Scots!

Posted June 5, 2013

Galloway just keeps getting better! We are thrilled with the fabulous, forward-thinking and dynamic leadership - expert teachers who love and challenge our children - and a warm, inclusive, caring community! Our children love going to school and remain happy, confident and engaged in this challenging, engaging, project based, collaborative academic environment. Read any article about what school should be in today's world and you'll see the characteristics, values and practices of the Galloway School!! Come visit us and see for yourself!

Posted May 3, 2013

I find it suspicious that the day Galloway holds its award ceremony is the day the post below is all about awards. Sour grapes?

Posted May 3, 2013

Graduating from this place was the happiest day of my life, not because I was actually graduating but because I never had to go back to this place ever again. This school epitomizes the "participation trophy generation." For instance, this school has an award ceremony and students who were literally failing school get awards. Meanwhile, top students are heavily discouraged from taking challenging schedules. Mediocrity is often accepted. There is also just not a focus on academics enough at this school. Many teachers think that they can get away with not teaching material relevant to SAT subject tests, AP's, etc. just because they are a private school. When I arrived at college, I was struggling during the first year to catch up with students who received proper college prep educations. Galloway can count on me not to donate a single penny in the future.

Posted April 4, 2013

Our family loves the Galloway School! How often in life can you say that the promises in the sales pitch were not only met but exceeded? The school promises learning in a socially and emotionally safe environment where the whole community is enthusiastic and supporting of each individual child's interests and creativity. My daughter absolutely loves school. I love that. I also want to comment on the diversity graph on this web page. Although my daughter is one of the children of color that would be counted in this designation, it is important to me to know that our community is supportive of differences, no matter what they are. We have a deep and truly diverse community that is welcoming, cohesive, curious, thoughtful and respectful. This school and community is growing children with more than just factual knowledge we are building human beings that have depth-of-character. That is what I REALLY want for my family.

Posted March 26, 2013

Galloway is a fantastic school. My son attended from PreK until 12th grade. He formed many wonderful friendships - with his teachers and classmates, was nurtured and valued as an individual, had a demanding and interesting curriculum, was exposed to a wide variety of extracurriculars, excelled in the performing arts, wrote across the curriculum (research papers in chemistry, original research projects in biology), was challenged in all of his classes, and really found out who he was. He is now a college sophomore, is passionate about his field of study, and was VERY WELL prepared for college. If you want your child to be a robotic test taker/grade grubber this is not the place for you. If you want your child to be passionate, authentic, committed, well read and educated, this is the place for you.

Posted December 27, 2012

We have three students at Galloway and the facts speak for themselves: 1. The Galloway School has the right balance - there is focus on academics, accountability, athletics, community, and integrity. It really is an environment created for learning; 2. Galloway's genuinely diverse student body is offered an academically challenging curriculum from a strong and committed faculty in an environment that encourages and fosters collaboration and nurtures individuals learning strengths and styles; 3. The school supports a strong athletic program and is committed to making it even better. Galloway fields competitive teams founded on the principal of participation by all interested athletes; 4. Galloway's new headmaster (began summer 2012) has brought a renewed energy and focus to the school based on the schools' four pillars including fearlessness and individuality.

Posted November 18, 2012

There are a lot of great schools with strong academic programs to choose from in Atlanta. What Galloway offers, in addition to strong academics, exceptional arts and a wide variety of outstanding sports teams (including ultimate Frisbee, by the way!) is gentle guidance and instruction in how to be a good person. How to care for yourself, your friends, and your community. How to care for the world. We feel lucky to be a part of such a wonderful school!

Posted November 15, 2012

What an amazing school in every aspect. Its our 5th year at Galloway and each year just gets better and better. The school's philosophy of child centered learning is so beneficial for both of my children, who are very different learners. The teachers and the principal have been so accommodating to my oldest child, who we found out, has some mild learning difficulties. He has overcome those issues thanks to his amazing teachers, who just truly are the best. The Galloway community is very warm and friendly - I tell my children all the time how lucky they are that they go to such an awesome school.

Posted November 13, 2012

I have two kids in Middle Learning. I have found Galloway to be an excellent match for our family. The community at Galloway is stronger than any of the other area public schools that I have experienced. This was evident from my first tour of the school - the smiles on the faces of the kids in the hallways and in the classrooms said it all. Academics in middle learning are also very strong, with a large number of "rock star" teachers. It is true that there has been some leadership instability in recent years. That has hopefully been resolved with recent hires in Middle Learning and a new Head of School. I think the current leadership is excellent - experienced administrators with philosophies in line with Galloway's vision and culture. My children have had a great experience at Galloway. They haven't experienced any of the bullying others have referenced. What cases I know of from other parents have been dealt with responsibly by the school. Both of my children have had good experiences with extra-curriculars, and have been challenged in classes. This is especially true for my gifted son. I would recommend Galloway to any family.

Posted November 13, 2012

The early learning teachers are phenomenal. There is a real commitment, sophistication, and interest in child development. They understand how to provide structure for children, while allowing them to follow their interests to fuel their excitement to learn. If you walk through the halls, you will see lots of happy children and attentive teachers. Everything about the school is centered around respecting your community and the larger world, which is really inspiring to see in action. Also, the new head of school is hands down one of the most impressive educational leaders in the country (and we have high standards coming from NYC). Our son, who is in kindergarten, has never been happier to go to school. He loves being involved in the soccer team, science and chess clubs. He feels safe, loved, challenged and inspired at Galloway. What more can you ask for as a parent?

Posted April 17, 2012

Amazing staff, wonderful family support, creative, fun approach to teaching. I can't say enough about how wonderful our experience has been at Galloway! My kids are always happy to go to school...and are disappointed when there is a day off. They feel respected and independent, which makes all human beings feel good. There is a lot of flexibility at Galloway, and, still, there are high standards to be your best self...a hard balance to strike. We are so grateful that this school exists. It seems to instill all the values we believe in without unduly stressing our kids out.

Posted April 16, 2012

We have been very pleased with our selection of Galloway for our children. They have had a great experience socially, athletically and acadmically and people are always amazed at how mature they are. Galloway has a rigorous AP curriculum and great college matriculations, but the journey to getting there does not have the peer pressure, cliques and college counseling directives that are present at many of the other private schools. From Galloway, you can get into a great college and finish high school with confidence and maturity, but also enjoy the path to getting there.

Posted April 15, 2012

Galloway is a wonderful place for kids and families. We are a small school where students, faculty and familes are partners in education. Decisions are made based on what is best for the student - this school is flexible and caring in the extreme. The academics are solid, participation in extracurricular activities is open to all - even to the point of high schoolers being able to choose multiple activities that would be mutually exclusive) in other schools, A student's experience at this school depends on the student - there is no cookie cutter approach at Galloway. While not the place for all (for example, if your student needs structure across the board) - a motivated, able student will find unparalled freedom and self expression; Each and every student will be supported by caring teachers and staff. If you like the idea of kids being partners in their own education you will love this place! And a nice relaxed atmosphere too!

Posted January 30, 2012

Galloway is what you make of it. I began here as a sophomore in high school after attending another well-known private school. At first, I was fooled by the lenience and lack of rules. I didn't do homework and didn't take all of my classes seriously, but in second semester of that year, the ideals of the school finally sunk in. I was allowed to wear what I wanted, go where I wanted, and do what I wanted so that I could learn responsibility for myself instead of being babied through high school. I began getting E's (A's) in all of my classes and ambitiously began taking dance classes even though Galloway's freedom allowed me to find myself before being on my own in college. There are still students who slack off, don't finish their work, and don't care about their learning but the majority genuinely love coming to school ever day and consider themselves all life-long learners as Elliott Galloway had intended all of us to be. He once said, "When you love yourself, you have the inspiration for your own excellence." I am so thankful that I decided to come to a school that encourages growth in all aspects of the students' lives. My life will never be the same.

Posted October 18, 2011

Galloway is an incredible school that has provided both a challenging and nurturing enviroment for my children. Among many other things, my children have learned that it is important to have a voice and are comfortable being heard by both peers and adults. We feel so fortunate to have been a part of this caring wonderful community that allows my children to excel.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 4-year college 100% (2012)
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Library

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code