No rating

The Galloway School

Private | PK-12 | 747 students

Students at Galloway develop an abiding love for learning.

Living in Atlanta

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $345,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Posted September 21, 2011

We have had an amazing experience so far at Galloway. Our children are currently enrolled in the Early Learning program, and we feel so fortunate to be a part of the amazing community of teachers, students and families. Galloway definitely caters to the individual needs of each child. We have a child who, at a very early age, has shown some amazing academic gifts far exceeding his peers. Galloway is working diligently to accommodate his academic needs while also allowing him the important opportunity to socialize and play with children his own age. In addition, we love the warm and nurturing environment found at Galloway, the interaction among the children across all grades, and the focus that Galloway places on the development of the whole child. We cannot say enough great things!

Posted June 13, 2011

For the most part, Galloway simply caters to just the middle of the pack and the lower tier students. I can tell you this from firsthand experience. There are also frivolous restrictions on the amount of AP classes students can take. Teachers overall are hit or miss. Some are outstanding, while others teach poorly and give hard tests on material not covered in class or in textbooks. I think all of this stems from the school's philosophy of anti-academic competitiveness. If you have a run-of-the-mill student, Galloway is probably a great school. However, if you are seriously dreaming of attending Ivies/Stanford/MIT, DO NOT come to Galloway. You will be VERY disappointed when your college decisions come in.

Posted February 23, 2011

It doesn't get any better than The Galloway School. I have 2 children that have/are attending. One just graduated high school from Galloway after beginning there when he was 3 years old. He is very well prepared for college as a freshman. He knows what he wants to do and is prepared to get there thanks to Galloway. My other child is happily enjoying Early Learning and is receiving a highly challenging education in a non-stressful environment that nurtures him while challenging him to be the best that he can be. Galloway is an exceptional school from age 3 to graduation.

Posted February 22, 2011

This is a "great" school. It is a small, thoughtful learning environment with lots of passionate teachers, students and parents.

Posted February 22, 2011

Our son has been at Galloway since kindergarten, and will start in Upper Learning there this Fall. He has received a top-notch education that continues to challenge him in every area. More importantly, he has received that education in an environment that inculcates values of community, respect, individuality, and creativity. We could not be more pleased with the school, the calibre of our son's friends, or the quality of our son's work at Galloway. If you are looking for a rigorous, student-centered learning environment that nurtures inquisitiveness and keeps learning - at all levels - fun and exciting, I highly recommend Galloway.

Posted January 13, 2011

THe Galloway school is an excelent establishment that has allowed me to flourish not only as a student, but as an athlete as well. For one to properly judge Galloway, he/she must be integrated with the school. As a current student I can confidently make the statement: those who fail to succeed at Galloway simply cannot manage the rigors presented by this school.

Posted January 13, 2011

Galloway is a great size of school for me. The teaching staff is supportive and they will help you in all your endeavors. The academics are challenging, but if you try hard and use all the available resources, you can be successful. More students should check this school out. Its approach to learning is phenomenal.

Posted October 9, 2010

it encourages freedom and responsibility in all of its students.

Posted October 4, 2010

I am still disappointed and resentful when I think of tuition dollars spent at Galloway, especially middle school, only to have to hire tutors when my child reached high school. She was lagging her public school counterparts in math and English. The tutors were not necessary because of learning issues, but because content had not been taught. He did not learn the meaning of the phrase "do your best" because when it was said, it had no teeth and no one expected anything. Bright/gifted students suffer the most, because the school's claim to help each child reach their potential does not generally apply to kids who need additional challenge. Classes are geared to the middle of the pack, and the claim of meeting each child where they are, and pushing them from there, rings hollow. There are better schools, public and private.

Posted September 11, 2010

I work at the Galloway School and am continually impressed at the level of self-confidence, independence, and self-respect of the students at the school. I have worked in several other education-related schools and organizations where there are young children as well as young adults, and it is clear to me what is special at Galloway. If you are a parent considering private education in Atlanta, I highly recommend considering Galloway. You will be impressed too.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 28, 2010

I attended Galloway for preschool, elementary and part of middle school. I am thankful I attended a different high school. The early years were fine, but even then I did not feel that Galloway was really helping me reach my potential, or even find my potential. Middle school did even less for me as a person during those tough adolescent years. I never saw any of that special "personal attention", I was better prepared for college because I attended a different and better high school. Even though it was much larger, I derived many more benefits than from Galloway.

Posted August 14, 2010

I did my junior and start of senior year at galloway. it was the most awful place i have ever been, and i went to a military school before. Leaving that place was the best decision I ever made. I had never been depressed in my life, other then when in those walls. All of the other kids are depressed too and suicide has even happened there. SAD SAD Place, if you want to keep your kids normal, avoid Galloway.

Posted May 26, 2010

Galloway is a great school. The teachers plan interactive lessons which push students to extend what they are learning, not just regurgitate facts. Many people don't understand this, but it makes the learning real. I love it best because it is an accepting place which does not have just one kind of person. This place lets a person try out all sorts of things instead of slotting a student in a particular area. The students love it.

Posted May 19, 2010

The middle school was a joke. They do not know what they want to be so therefore they have no concrete curriculum. The actually put my child behind in math and they refused to give hs credit for Algebra... even though all other schools do. Don't waste your money here.

Posted April 23, 2010

The Galloway unlike other schools has given me the opportunity to be myself. The students and faculty embrace who you are! I started new in 7th grade and everyone knows Middle School can be the worst years. But, it wasn't! I am a senior and my favorite teacher was actually my 7th grade Language arts teacher!

Posted March 28, 2010

Galloway can be a very 'endearing' place. The community is close in many ways, but in some ways that becomes a negative - parents are overly involved with some aspects of the school. Great strengths in some areas are brought down by weaknesses in others....academically as well as extracurricular offerings, etc. The very small size makes it difficult to offer a real variety of extracurriculars and quality concerts, plays, etc. Our daughter now attends a very good public school and we see some of the areas in which she missed opportunities and was not as well prepared. A student must be highly self-motivated, because there are very few opportunities to be 'pushed' or encouraged, or even asked to work a little harder.

Posted February 24, 2010

Those who say that The Galloway School is not challenging are missing the interest required to learn. I am currently a Sophomore (grade 10) at Galloway, and have found the high school to be both challenging and fun. I like school. I like attending school, being at school, and even staying after to get extra help with concepts that I'm having trouble with on occasion. My teachers are all very experienced (10 years or more of teaching at the least); some have up to 30 years of experience. The courses I take, from electives to AP classes, each demand that I do my best, and are not by any means 'unchallenging' to me. I am not only challenged at the school to do my best work, but I am expected from. I am expected to want to learn and discovers a different thing each and every day.

Posted November 17, 2009

My son started 5th grade this year and the experience has been very positive. I am impressed that many of the teachers create curriculums that make the children think about subjects and not just regurgitate information. He loves the art teacher, even though he never was engaged in art in the past. The kids have been welcoming and inclusive and my son said that his friends at Galloway like school!

Posted November 7, 2009

I guess Galloway can be better than average, because it's a very nice school with other activities other than classes. Lots of after-school stuff, and what I really love is that there is a no-cut policy. The sad thing about that, however, is that most of the children that are not athletic don't get to even play in the games, just because they aren't as good. What kind of opportunity is that? My brother did not play in any soccer games when he was in the 7th grade because they never tested him, they never gave him a chance. Then he got in the 8th grade, they found out how fast he could run and how good he was, and then they played him in every game unless he was sick! All in all, it's a pretty good school. But it makes you wonder sometimes...

Posted October 28, 2009

My daughter is a first timer at the galloway school...She entered the ninth grade this very school year. I've found the school to be an excellent fit for her - coming from a public middle school...She is an overacheiver who doesn't require being pushed to excel, however she still needs to be challenged, and i've finally found the winning combination within the galloway community.. Although she is still very much a 'loner' .. She is thriving with the initimate,fellowship style of learning that the entire community of galloway all seem to posess.. I am honored and very grateful that she's been given the opportunity to be a part of such a great establishment... .

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 4-year college 100% (2012)
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Library

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code