No rating

The Galloway School

Private | PK-12 | 747 students

Students at Galloway develop an abiding love for learning.

Living in Atlanta

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $345,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Posted August 28, 2009

I love this school. I go there currently and it is amazing to know that I go to a school where I am comfortable hugging everyone in my class and teachers.

Posted August 20, 2009

On balance, Galloway has more negatives than positives -- too small in high school, not enough rich extracurriculars, inconsistency in teacher quality and attitude, leadership that has not yet defined what Galloway should become in today's educational environment. Bright, highly motivated students will be under-rewarded for their efforts, due to the 'fear' of 'competition'. Mediocrity is often acceptable. There are some fabulous teachers, but no consistent curriculum 'program' that ensures what your student will get from year to year. Education is adequate in most cases, but not stellar.

Posted July 30, 2009

I am a former student of Galloway, now in high school at another private school. After 7 years at Galloway, I left because of the unsatisfactory quality of the education, educators, and environment. The curriculum is no where close to challenging for an average student. The extreme lack of discipline is evident in the interactions between students and teachers. I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted June 4, 2009

The Galloway School is in the midst of a huge transition which I hope will have positive implications.. Overall, I think this is a nice little school. The positives: a fantastic preschool program, nice looking facilities and a solid educational philosophy. There is a lot of ethnic diversity. The curriculum is advanced in the EL program. The children are happy and enjoy school and many of the educators are exceptional. The community is made up of involved, like-minded parents who value the whole child, are educationally minded, and value substance over form. The art program and the theater program are wonderful. The negatives are more troubling: the curriculum is wildly inconsistent from teacher to teacher and grade to grade. The ML and UL curriculum and sports programs are limited. MANY of the teachers are incredibly negative towards kids and parents. The overall experience is VERY INCONSISTENT.

Posted May 22, 2009

As I think back to my years at Galloway, I graduated with a well rounded education that allowed me to excel academically in college. I really appreciated the discussion based classrooms and learning how to apply a theory, not just the wrote memorization of the concept. The faculty is great at what they do, and I feel they really want to be a part of the Galloway community.

Posted May 22, 2009

I attended The Galloway School for many years and absolutely loved my experience. It is an incredible learning environment that stresses high academic performance while providing immeasurable support. I felt extraordinarily confident entering college and continued my Galloway learned pursuit of excellence throughout my educational and professional life. It taught me to be more than just a student of books, but to be a student of lifelong learning. Many don't understand this amazingly unique institution. Its an organic and evolving educational movement driven by the members of its great community. If parents and students fear and/or judge this nature, they fail to realize the control and influence they hold. The Galloway School is a gift and a rare gem to academics and cognitive development.

Posted May 18, 2009

My son entered public school after several years at Galloway. He was behind in English (especially 'mechanics') and math proficiency. More importantly, too many Galloway teachers have gotten 'inertia' and are more complacent than they should be, especially given the kind of learning that Galloway purports to provide. Students are too often allowed to settle for less than doing their best -- or finding out how to do their best. It's fine to have kids be 'comfortable' at school, but they also need to learn about non-negotiable boundaries and fair competition. My son has benefitted from some fair competition in academics and extracurriculars; it's not always detrimental. In too many cases the school is not 'rigorous' enough.

Posted May 5, 2009

This is not the same school it was 5 years ago. Changes in the Administration and Faculty are eroding the vision that Elliot Galloway had when he founded this school. Teachers range from good to exceptional, but the Administration is ineffective in dealing with many typical school problems.

Posted March 11, 2009

My child attended middle school at Galloway and now attends a public high school. She is definitely not as well prepared in some ways as students from a good public middle school or other private schools. Grammar and writing skills, along with math, are particularly deficient. Galloway needs to do much more to adequately prepare students for the 'real world'. Galloway can be, and often is, a caring environment -- but there is much more required for a 21st century education and not all of it gets done at Galloway.

Posted December 1, 2008

My child came to Galloway from government school for 8th grade and is challenged daily. Homework is managable. My child had not a single issue being accepted by fellow students. The teachers are all great, caring people. It is obvious they love their jobs. There is a lot of freedom at this school which is a great relief coming from the prison of a public middle school.

Posted November 18, 2008

i go to galloway, and i LOVE it. everyone there is just great, there is tons of freedom, and nobody judges you. at galloway, you can totally be yourself. there are absolutely no limits. if anything, the performing arts program is remarkable. we have so much fun, but still put on a great show

Posted November 7, 2008

I am currently a student at The Galloway School and I think that it is a one of a kind school with one of a kind students and teachers.

Posted June 21, 2008

As a mother of an EL student, I cannot say enough about The Galloway School. The program is creative and makes learning fun. My child was reading before even entering kindergadent and I am amazed by the variety of things he learned: from academic basics to having in depth knowledge about animals, our world etc. My sense is that although their EL program is excellent, there is not enough consistency year to year. However, that aside, the teachers are experienced, kind and inspiring. My child never wants to miss school and has learned more than I expected of him at this point--what else can you ask for? Top notch.

Posted April 20, 2008

I have never expericned Upper Learning or Early Learning at Galloway, but let me tell you as a student, the Middle Learning program is terrible and dissapointing. ML is a time in lots of adolecents lives when bullying occurs and you run into a lot of issues with friends, etc. Galloway does not help those problems at all. The ML program, teachers, and administrators make everything worse. The amount of bullying that occurs in ML at Galloway is astonishing. And whats even more astonishing is how naive and unsupportive the faculty are when you need help. They avoid the problem instead of solving it.

Posted April 2, 2008

Galloway was an AMAZING school! I recently graduated from it, and once I got to college I realized how much I benefit from going to such a small and caring school. Things like not having a cafeteria, not having cheerleaders, and not having homecoming or prom kings or queens really saved me from a lot of social stress most high schoolers go through. Teachers are always their to help students. Students are aware of what is going on in the world around them and even have fundraisers for things they are compassionate about. This year and last, students organized a concert to raise money for the Save Darfur Coalition at the Roxy theatre. Students are very down to earth and learn how to work with each other. I would HIGHLY recommend Galloway to any parent!!!!

Posted November 1, 2007

My wife and I love this private school from interacting of students and learning to outdoor 3 day camping trip,foreign languages,computer music,debates,the staff is wonderful and we only been there 3 yrs. Galloway is at the top of graduation rates,SAT scores.

Posted October 16, 2007

i am a student at the galloway school, and I just have to say that this school gets pretty old. i try to wonder how people like my friends could go here since they were really little. I never really felt challenged, and I want to leave so badly for highschool. the thing is, if you aren't popular, then you are an 'outcast' and nobody likes you. It gets kind of annoying, and if your on finacial aid, watching people drive to schooll in their mercedes and their porches get kind of annoying. i've gotten used to it over the years, but it really puts a damper to my day when I don't fit in... it may be a problem at all schools, but at galloway, popularity competition is the worst.

Posted September 25, 2007

The Galloway School is an exceptional school. I recommend it to all! Come visit and see for yourself! This school is unbelievable with a great Fine Arts Center!

Posted August 7, 2007

I attended The Westminster Schools for 10 years before attending Galloway. The enviroment is much more laid back, and the students are generally much more diversified than the other Atlanta private schools. It prepared me well for college, and I highly recommend it as an alternative to the other elitist and pretentious private schools avalible.

Posted May 23, 2007

I am a first year teacher at The Galloway School, and I can not give it enough praise. The support from my fellow teachers has been exceptional, and the children are wonderful. The students are allowed more freedom than many other schools. For the most part, that freedom is not abused. The students are enthusiastic about learning, they tend to go above and beyond my suggested guidelines, and I look forward to going to work every morning. I don't know many people who can say that. I grew up going to Catholic school in Louisiana, so I know that the progressive nature of Galloway may veer people away because it would mean change. My suggestion- check it out for yourself. Walk the halls and you will immediatly feel the warmth and wonder of Galloway.
—Submitted by a teacher

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 4-year college 100% (2012)
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Library

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code