K-12|Private
1,650 students

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Our experience of The Lovett Lower School has been amazing. Teachers and administrators are extremely qualified, dedicated and loving. They genuinely care about your kid as an individual and are like family to us. The lower school counseling is exceptional. Our son excelled academically and grew as a well-rounded person. We are very thankful for the outstanding environment The Lovett Lower School has provided with. Many kids are in wide range of extracurricular activities, from arts, music to sports, to explore and excel. If your kid misses classes due to extracurricular activities or other reasons, the teachers would give a condensed version of what the child missed and offer help or tutoring immediately after school if needed. A parent commenter said in a prior review that "Most of the kids are at Lovett because they couldn't get into Westminster". That's incorrect. There are many talented kids at Lovett. And more importantly, the teachers and administrators recognize and cherish the talents they see. I know a few kids who were accepted to both Westminster and Lovett and chose Lovett. It comes down to which school is a better fit. Sure, Westminster has won 250 state sport championships and their SAT average is higher. But the parent forgot that the most important factor is your own child and yourself as a parent. The 250 state sport championships means nothing to a child, especially if your child are not competing in them. The SAT average means nothing either because your child is not named average. And many students are too stressed out at Westminster, which is not healthy and may hinder their personal growth. You as a parent, have to teach your own child to excel, explore, and be happy. Bragging rights means nothing. In summary, our Lovett Lower School experience has been outstanding. We are eternally grateful to all the amazing teachers, counselors, and administrators at The Lovett Lower School. Thank you!

Develops character: Agree

We have an honor code that we have to put on every test and we have to recite a character pledge

Boo Hoo Hoo, I am not African American or Caucasian, but my child has attended Lovett since the 5th grade. She has had a multitude of opportunities that children in public school could only dream about. My child has excelled academically and socially. Parents should never subscribe to the feeling of not belonging or feeling wanted by an institution. If you are there, then you belong and that is what I teach my child everyday. Some of the best public schools are far more cliquish than Lovett, and I know that first hand. My advice: Visit the schools before you apply and have your child participate in a shadow day to see if Lovett (or any school) is the right place for them. We love it at Lovett, one of best places for a solid education, despite some of the harsh reviews.

the campus is amazing, and so is the networking and social connections for the children and the parents. There is a lot of old southern money at Lovett, so be prepared, the students and parents can be cliquish. I have heard rumors of some not so PC treatment of minorities, perhaps out of ignorance. Like assuming an african american parent was a server at a fundraiser. Lovett is a great status school, and children do have access to amazing materials and opportunities. Just be aware of what you are getting into with the non academic aspects.

My son has been there for half a year and so far it exceeds our, and more importantly his, expectations. He is genuinely excited to get out the door. He loves all his teachers and takes advantage of many of the after school programs. The whole student approach is not a marketing tag line as they spend real effort to insure he gets life lessons in topics that matter but aren't typically taught.

We have two children here since kindergarten. They are now 7th and 4th graders. Both my kids love the school, teachers, social environment (we are not Caucasian). Both are thriving academically. We were advised by people in our community to apply them at Westminster for more challenge. My kids never want to leave Lovett. One of our kids took a test for gifted students and WAY outperformed some of the Westminster kids that took the same test (I know because the same people that told us we should transfer were bragging about their kids score, even though ours were much higher). So bottom line is that send your kid to whichever school as long as it has a solid reputation and your kids are happy. The rest is YOUR kids personality. All school have some strong points and some not so strong. But the best "schooling" is done at home...these places are there to build on that.

I attended Lovett for 14 years (pre-k -12th) and value the excellent education I received. The teachers are outstanding!!

The negative reviews around oppression, conformity, narrow-mindedness are all correct. This school has been this way for decades and from friends currently there has not changed since we sent kids there in the 80s.

My son has attended Lovett for 3 years and started as a kindergartener. Lovett has high expectations AND gives lots of support ie: reading and writing tutorials after school. I am a teacher and have taught third grade-my son comes home with independently done work that my 3rd graders couldn't do. In addition, they have great character development classes, science classes, art, drama, etc., etc. We are thrilled with this exceptional liberal arts education! The only down side are the monthly "materials" charge-the notebooks, markers, books, etc. are around $100 per month...really?

This is an oppressive school; there is a STRONG instance on white, male-driven conformity. Girls are "girls": long hair, pretty, thin, will make good wives. Boys are men: leaders, decision-makers. They've also had a revolving door of children of color for years. Administrators implicitly communicate that admission is a "gift" for non-white families. We paid for 3 kids for 6 years and were treated like guests. Once there the burden for diversity is placed on the families. They ask children & parents to represent at open house or to give a speech in chapel, like props. Most diversity "efforts" exclude the majority of the school (whites). Admins held an evening meeting for non-white families ONLY to "give tips" on how to help their children succeed. It's the culture, not the child. Another ex. of managing vs authentic engagement with full community: Admins created student groups by race lead by black teachers ONLY, taking kids from lunch & class to talk & support each other as if they are the crux of the issues. It was like AA for children of color, their confessional. Like AA, their issues and complaints never left the room. In an increasing diverse U.S., they have a long way to go.

Last modified Lovett School is a Private school that serves grades K-12