No rating

Horizons School

Private | K-12

Living in Atlanta

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $270,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Sweep tile

Posted August 27, 2013

The school is going through a period of consolidation and reorganization. While our enrollment numbers are low we are still dedicated to our students, families and community.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 25, 2013

This school is done. Horizons School has lost both its academic accreditation and its non-profit status this year. What's the point.

Posted October 1, 2012

While Horizons School may not be the school it used to be ten or twelve years ago, it still has tremendous potential for the upside. In order for it to regain the ground that has been lost over the past ten years and to have a good shot at attaining its maximum potential, however, it is going to take sacrifice from all - administration, staff, parents and students. None of the problems it faces today are of an insurmountable nature. The buildings and the grounds are in what could most accurately be described as undesirable condition. Are they beyond repair? No. Are they easily or inexpensively fixable? No. Are they capable of being restored to a nice, clean, rustic, Walden-like center for exceptional learning? Most definitely. Does the school need to better define itself by asking itself hard questions about what it is, and who is best served by its existence? Yes.It does. Does the school need to decide where it wants to go and implement a system of goals and measures to better facilitate its sail to that next port? Without doubt. Have I sacrificed the short term education of my own two children for a belief in the greater long term good for them? Yes, I have. Will you join me?

Posted December 19, 2011

The older of my 2 sons graduated from Horizons last year and as a senior was successfully dually enrolled at Horizons and GA State. My younger son is in public school. (Horizons' has music training, but no marching band or baseball team, so it was not as great a fit for my younger son.) Horizons' highly qualified and supportive teachers, challenging curriculum (including math, calculus, physics, chemistry, anatomy, biology and sustainable agriculture), and extra-curricular experiences were a perfect match for my son. Horizons' small size fostered an inclusive closeness. Its democratic school model, its mix of students from around the world, and its community service, fostered a respect for all people. We found the balance of structure and freedom to work at Horizons something to celebrate, that encouraged lifelong learning, and a joyful adolescence. Horizons' theater program had a resonating impact on my dramatic, musical, funny, caring son. He appears weeky in improv comedy at The Village Theater, teaches rock climbing, rows crew and enjoys his classes. He has ADD, disgraphia, a sense of justice and lots of great friends. Hats off to Horizons!

Posted December 10, 2011

Well, I can't describe this school how much I don't miss it why? Old staff leaving, too Alternative to say the least!! No good sports besides volleyball and basketball!! The staff is prejudice and partially a joke!! The only reason why I won't give it a 1-star is because I graduated last year!! Students accuse me for everything even for some bad habits I've done in the past, in my best memory there was Hardly any, Also here's a tip for diversity: more international students and less Local students!! Also, to ruin one's fun some had to go to other countries and fool them by saying they're a great school but reality they're worse than a personal pizza place!!! Finally I would like to say that, I can't get along except 2 staff members in the whole entire school!!!!!!!!!!

Posted December 6, 2011

I toured the school recently for possible enrollment for my daughters. I couldn't believe the condition of the school. The smell hit me immediately when I walked in the door. The entire building seems to be falling apart and the overall atmosphere was terrible. I definitely wouldn't send my children to this school despite the fact that they were pretty excited about the small farm that is on campus.

Posted September 18, 2011

I toured this school as a possible high school for my teenager, but there is no way I would send my child there. The school is filthy dirty, smelly and everything is old and outdated. I mean everything, the furniture, desks, computers and the condition of the gym is deplorable. They do not have a cafeteria or anywhere for the children to gather from what I can see. I just don't think this is the best environment for children to thrive.

Posted October 12, 2010

Over the last few years Horizons has been quickly losing what made it a great place for kids. Our family has been affiliated with the school for years and I have been saddened by the slow decay of the school, the drop in quality of the program and the caliber of the students. After the last principal passed away, things seem to have fallen apart.

Posted August 23, 2010

My son attended Horizons and I had a few concerns while he was there especially regarding math and science. There are very limited class offerings so the kids take what is offered, even if they can do more challenging work. I found out the hard way the class work does not prepare students for college- even Georgia Perimeter which is where it seems all of my son's graduating class ended up. All of my son's friends have been over the house complaining about the same thing. I can't believe I paid for private school tuition and now have to pay for remedial math classes in college. Highly recommend parents look elsewhere if you want your child to attend college.

Posted March 27, 2010

I am grateful to have found Horizons School. My child has made huge improvements since being at Horizons. His teacher is really caring and is really great. The academics are rigorous. The school is accredited through the Georgia Accrediting Commission. Please visit their website for confirmation at http://www.coe.uga.edu/gac/members/2010/private_fall09.pdf. The accreditation is for K-12. Parent volunteers provide movement classes for students. There is a Horizons Hawks basketball team. Kids in grades 6-12 can participate. Also, all teachers may not be 'certified' however this is common in many small private schools. However imagine my surprise to learn that the high school chemistry teacher works at Emory! I could care less is she's certified, she's highly qualified. I'm glad I started my child at Horizons.

Posted January 30, 2010

My son recently graduated from public high school and I have to say most of his important academic skills, reading, math and writing he learned in middle school at Horizons. He started there in 5th grade and I wished I had started him sooner.

Posted January 5, 2010

I had two children here and regretted sending them to this school, there is not real organization in the academic program, sports is non-existent, there is no special needs program there as advertised. The school has no real accredidation, and some of the teachers are not formally trained and certified.

Posted August 11, 2009

My son is currently enrolled in Horizons, and we are very happy that will be graduating next year. Although, he has had some issues with school, overall, I am convinced he will be graduating with many fond memories. I think the biggest strength of Horizons is its teachers, they are involved, thoughtful, and caring.

Posted November 24, 2008

My daughter had all but given up on even attempting to do mathematics in public school after being served by special education in the Atlanta Public Schools setting. Since starting the seventh grade at Horizons, she not only attempts math, but realizes that she is good at it. The teacher meets her at her level, and encourages her to do her best. She no longer cries with homework, and even looks forward to going to school. Her whole outlook on life has encountered a positive change. This school has definitely helped her to develop her talents and strengthen her weaknesses. She feels as though she belongs here.

Posted September 16, 2008

My kids all six of them have had positive experiences here. One needed help for a learning disability, she was not learning at the public school and she was forced to find out she could learn and her confidence sored. Another child was always in trouble in large groups at the public school and she was able to stay out of trouble and make close friendships at Horizons. A third child had issues which would make him the target of other is a public school environment and he fits in quite well and is liked at Horizons. I also have a child with no problems at all who I wanted in an environment where people were ethical and supportive. It is a great community and very personal, the opposite of the public school. If you feel good parenting is instilling a sense of community than this is the place for you.

Posted March 12, 2008

I am current a student at this school. Even though there is no specific academic organization, this school includes and encourages especially students who have the desire to learn and pursue their goals. Some of the teachers are extraordinary. Visit Bruce's class, or John Wetzel's class and you'll see. They are not only talented people but also try to teach the students what they know best. They have certainly achieved successes in their own careers. Horizons also inspires students to involve in as many extra-curricular activities as possible, which often help them to succeed the working experiences, leadership, and much more. You'll experience the special close feeling once you actually be involved in the environment. This is a small kind of school, so people take care of each other and that is the priority of the school. The students do not get the same attention in other so-called crowded private schools.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 21, 2008

This is not a serious educational environment. I was shocked a the lack of organization, discipline, and quality academics at this school. My child was subjected to a very unrealistic, extremely liberal (bordering 'HIPPY') environment. They seem to be anti-patriotic, anti-religious, but very comfortable with the pro-liberal left-wing agenda that prevails there. Very unusual, and personally unacceptable. Look closely before deciding if this will be a fit for your child.

Posted January 10, 2008

I have two children who attend this school. I am interested in a competitive academic performance for my children and every effort is made to meet my children where they are both strong and need more and weak and could use supplementing. I am often suprised by the blend of chaos and concern that renders some amazing successes at this school. I continue to have reservations about the seeming deemphasis on academic achievement, but it what creates the opportunity for expression of personal excellence (ie creating internal standards of personal best) without the typical nasty group competitive emphasis (ie creating external standards of group best).

Posted January 3, 2008

Horizon has definitely helped my son to come out of his shell. There is a lot I like about this school; the small class sizes, the community involvment, the way the students are engaged in the decision making process. The downside is the lack of focus on academics and sports. It clearly is not a fast paste academic environment, but I think there is opportunity for improvement. There are no organized sports, which I feel being a part of a team teaches life long lessons. Great school in some areas, but has its weaknesses too.

Posted August 10, 2007

I am a parent of a child from another country, where education failed him by not meeting his needs as a learner. Horizons has excelled in seeing what his learning style is and guiding him through education with his strengths allowing him to challenge his weaknesses. The community involvement is extraordinary.

Asian 17% 2%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NCACS

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1900 Dekalb Ave NE