Horizons School 5

Posted August 27, 2013
The school is going through a period of consolidation and reorganization. While our enrollment numbers are low we are still dedicated to our students, families and community.

Posted June 25, 2013
This school is done. Horizons School has lost both its academic accreditation and its non-profit status this year. What's the point.

Horizons School 2

Posted October 01, 2012
While Horizons School may not be the school it used to be ten or twelve years ago, it still has tremendous potential for the upside. In order for it to regain the ground that has been lost over the past ten years and to have a good shot at attaining its maximum potential, however, it is going to take sacrifice from all - administration, staff, parents and students. None of the problems it faces today are of an insurmountable nature. The buildings and the grounds are in what could most accurately be described as undesirable condition. Are they beyond repair? No. Are they easily or inexpensively fixable? No. Are they capable of being restored to a nice, clean, rustic, Walden-like center for exceptional learning? Most definitely. Does the school need to better define itself by asking itself hard questions about what it is, and who is best served by its existence? Yes.It does. Does the school need to decide where it wants to go and implement a system of goals and measures to better facilitate its sail to that next port? Without doubt. Have I sacrificed the short term education of my own two children for a belief in the greater long term good for them? Yes, I have. Will you join me?

Horizons School 5

Posted December 19, 2011
The older of my 2 sons graduated from Horizons last year and as a senior was successfully dually enrolled at Horizons and GA State. My younger son is in public school. (Horizons' has music training, but no marching band or baseball team, so it was not as great a fit for my younger son.) Horizons' highly qualified and supportive teachers, challenging curriculum (including math, calculus, physics, chemistry, anatomy, biology and sustainable agriculture), and extra-curricular experiences were a perfect match for my son. Horizons' small size fostered an inclusive closeness. Its democratic school model, its mix of students from around the world, and its community service, fostered a respect for all people. We found the balance of structure and freedom to work at Horizons something to celebrate, that encouraged lifelong learning, and a joyful adolescence. Horizons' theater program had a resonating impact on my dramatic, musical, funny, caring son. He appears weeky in improv comedy at The Village Theater, teaches rock climbing, rows crew and enjoys his classes. He has ADD, disgraphia, a sense of justice and lots of great friends. Hats off to Horizons!

Horizons School 2

Posted December 10, 2011
Well, I can't describe this school how much I don't miss it why? Old staff leaving, too Alternative to say the least!! No good sports besides volleyball and basketball!! The staff is prejudice and partially a joke!! The only reason why I won't give it a 1-star is because I graduated last year!! Students accuse me for everything even for some bad habits I've done in the past, in my best memory there was Hardly any, Also here's a tip for diversity: more international students and less Local students!! Also, to ruin one's fun some had to go to other countries and fool them by saying they're a great school but reality they're worse than a personal pizza place!!! Finally I would like to say that, I can't get along except 2 staff members in the whole entire school!!!!!!!!!!

Posted December 06, 2011
I toured the school recently for possible enrollment for my daughters. I couldn't believe the condition of the school. The smell hit me immediately when I walked in the door. The entire building seems to be falling apart and the overall atmosphere was terrible. I definitely wouldn't send my children to this school despite the fact that they were pretty excited about the small farm that is on campus.

Posted September 18, 2011
I toured this school as a possible high school for my teenager, but there is no way I would send my child there. The school is filthy dirty, smelly and everything is old and outdated. I mean everything, the furniture, desks, computers and the condition of the gym is deplorable. They do not have a cafeteria or anywhere for the children to gather from what I can see. I just don't think this is the best environment for children to thrive.

Posted October 12, 2010
Over the last few years Horizons has been quickly losing what made it a great place for kids. Our family has been affiliated with the school for years and I have been saddened by the slow decay of the school, the drop in quality of the program and the caliber of the students. After the last principal passed away, things seem to have fallen apart.

Posted August 23, 2010
My son attended Horizons and I had a few concerns while he was there especially regarding math and science. There are very limited class offerings so the kids take what is offered, even if they can do more challenging work. I found out the hard way the class work does not prepare students for college- even Georgia Perimeter which is where it seems all of my son's graduating class ended up. All of my son's friends have been over the house complaining about the same thing. I can't believe I paid for private school tuition and now have to pay for remedial math classes in college. Highly recommend parents look elsewhere if you want your child to attend college.

Horizons School 3

Posted March 27, 2010
I am grateful to have found Horizons School. My child has made huge improvements since being at Horizons. His teacher is really caring and is really great. The academics are rigorous. The school is accredited through the Georgia Accrediting Commission. Please visit their website for confirmation at http://www.coe.uga.edu/gac/members/2010/private_fall09.pdf. The accreditation is for K-12. Parent volunteers provide movement classes for students. There is a Horizons Hawks basketball team. Kids in grades 6-12 can participate. Also, all teachers may not be 'certified' however this is common in many small private schools. However imagine my surprise to learn that the high school chemistry teacher works at Emory! I could care less is she's certified, she's highly qualified. I'm glad I started my child at Horizons.

Horizons School
1900 Dekalb Ave NE, Atlanta, GA  30307
Last modified Horizons School is a Private school that serves grades K-12
Horizons School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 27 reviews.