Atlanta, GA
Students enrolled: 1,020

Posted April 08, 2015
If you value your money and sanity, STAY AWAY from Atlanta International School. AIS not only tolerates bullying, it promotes a culture of bullying. If you want your children to go through serious bullying, this is the place to be. Per my knowledge, according to a recent school survey, 50% of children in each grade have been bullied in SS. After several yrs of AIS, we pulled out our children due to intense, prolonged bullying that remained uncontained for more than a year. Administration just does not accept there is bullying, and has no idea or inclination to stop bullying. In fact, they promote the bullies to leadership position in school because of serious nepotism. Some of the bullies are children of big donors or children whose parents work at school. They get away with anything! Headmasters are recruited every 2-4 yrs with very little US experience, leading to intense instability. Some teachers are good and some are poor. Very weak math and sciences program. SAT scores are low with poor college counseling. Socially, AIS is a very difficult school. AVOID THIS SCHOOL!

Posted September 10, 2014
Our daughter entered this school in the 5th grade after we had been relocated to Atlanta for work. She was bullied from the start by a very mean clique of extremely rich girls. Every time we approached someone in an official capacity we were told, "Well, those girls couldn't be doing that. Their parents are fine, upstanding members of the school community." Later we found out that these parents contribute large sums to the school's annual giving campaign every year. The quality of teachers was also subpar. In 7 years at this school my daughter never had a decent teacher in either math or science. This unfortunately led to very low scores on those sections of the ACT. For the social, academic, and administrative reasons above, if you value your child's education, I would strongly encourage you to look at other private schools in Atlanta.
6 people found this helpful

Posted April 30, 2014
My family is very pleased with the level of education our children are receiving at AIS. It is a very enriching, diverse, caring and safe environment. Teachers and staff truly care for our children and our children are thriving. Families are from all parts of the city and are active in the community.

Atlanta International School 3

Posted December 17, 2013
I've had two children at AIS, and it is a mixed blessing. For my oldest child it worked out well. My younger child, not as well. Their language program is great and my children each speak three languages. however, socially it is hard. In recent years we have noticed the school getting snootier and the caliber of students diminishing to the point where many are now struggling with the IB. The trimester system is a mess and the teachers are very unhappy. So there it is, your children will learn languages and work hard, but they will not enjoy the social situation. Last personal note. I agree with one of the previous comments. The French really do stick to themselves and actively shut others out. I've been to France and the people there are lovely. So it's not a French thing. Perhaps it is a French at AIS thing.

Posted August 24, 2013
Atlanta International School was the biggest mistake I ever made in my educational career. I am presently a senior applying for college and I left AIS a year ago. The colleges DO NOT ACCEPT AIS's math as an acceptable math subject. AIS put me several grade levels behind in math. The teachers do not care about their students and the faculty attempts to justify unfair treatment by these teachers. I still hold resentment for certain subjects as a whole because of how the teachers handled it. AIS is a scam. Smart parents should do their research before sending their children there.
7 people found this helpful

Posted May 28, 2013
AIS is an amazing school. All the people there are so wonderful and positive all the time. I learnt 4 languages at the school and am native in 3. I didn't know any other than english when I started at age 4. It gives you such a wonderful experience to grow up with people from all around the world. The teacher are good at what they do and know how to teach in the right way. It hurts me to see that others have not enjoyed AIS as much as I have because it truly is fantastic. The school pushes you to be the best that you can be and builds strong students that can succeed in the real world. It is a hard school, but the people that come out of it are better because of it. Important life skills are learnt and almost everyone who leaves AIS is better because of the experiences had there. I have never heard of any bullying or bad treatment at the school and everyone should check it out! Alumni 2012

Posted May 12, 2013
AIS This school sound very good on paper. If you are not native speaker in German, Spanish or French -- good luck... They will not tell you that you will need a tutor or nanny to teach your kids language. Some of the teachers are great and very enthusiastic and some have absolutely no clue what they doing... Some PS teachers have no special skills and knowledge at early adulation... You will get a thousands emails about donations/donations/donation and none about you kids progress or problems... For that you will need schedule a meeting with teachers or find out about it at the conference that may be way too late to fix something... Overall my kids are ok but because we do earl with them extra at home... But ask yourself I you want to pay 20K for that.. Big disappointment... Phony school!

Posted March 16, 2013
AIS was the most precious gift my parents have ever given me. The staff and faculty at the school are absolutely exceptional and always went out of their way to make sure that I was my best academically and socially. I do not think that I would have been able to succeed in such a rigorous program as the IB without the constant support of the administration and teachers. The students were also all generally very nice and unique-being from all over the world. Anything that came close to bullying was immediately addressed by the administration to the highest degree. AIS also has a wonderful theatre program that is above par to any other high school. The language program is definitely like nothing else and has left me breezing through my language classes in university with ease. I couldn't be prouder to be an AIS alumna and I will always cherish the memories and the support I received from the school. When I break from this poor, college student status, I will without a doubt make annual donations.
3 people found this helpful

Atlanta International School 3

Posted August 24, 2012
My child spent 12 years at this school; we couldn't see it through financially. My child did learn how to enjoy learning ; in the pre-k thru 5th grade the teachers were awesome, although the admistration was horrible in the primary section;in middle school the "money" started to matter more and more in admission decisions and among parents cliques....including the language tracks of students and the quality of the teachers was ok for the most part; in high school there were a few ultra long term teachers who dictate the course of your student's life at the school - that is simply unacceptable. Too many parents get jobs at the school which in my view gives certain students a better treatment versus others; the school wouldn't work with us financially to allow our child to graduate there, and indeed did not release our child's transcript until all of the tuition was paid...overall very disappointed with how were were treated over well a decade of service to the school volunteering, etc :-(

Atlanta International School 4

Posted August 08, 2012
Ouch! So sad to read such a negative review of what is, essentially, a great school. To the previous reviewer, I'm sorry your bullying experience wasn't resolved to your satisfaction. Sadly every school has bullying so, hopefully, your next experience will be better. Wow...no school is perfect but I have never come across a school which is more open to discussion with parents and students, and to trying to improve the way they do things. If your child is smart, verbal and highly intelligent, this could well be the school for you since AIS offers something for everyone, no matter what his/her interest or strength. As a full IB school, AIS offers a challenging level of academics and many extra curricula opportunities. The school and parents go to great lengths to welcome new students and families; I have spoken with secondary students, new to the school, who were amazed that everyone was so friendly and helpful. This school is not 'international' in name only. If your child attends AIS, they cannot help but receive an education with a global perspective.

Atlanta International School
2890 N Fulton Drive Northeast, Atlanta, GA  30305
Last modified Atlanta International School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Atlanta International School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 59 reviews. Top