Atlanta, GA
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

As the outgoing Head of The Children s School, I m proud to say that hundreds of students have been well served by the school, evidenced by the stories they ve shared with us year after year. The school has a committed, talented, dedicated faculty who work tirelessly to meet the needs of all of their students. Classrooms are stimulating, exciting learning environments that other schools and teachers work to model. The Children s School is authentically diverse in a myriad of ways. It is diverse geographically. It is diverse culturally and ethnically. It is diverse socio-economically. And it serves a diverse group of learners who graduate with confidence, poised to succeed both academically and socially. All organizations experience change. The Children s School is well prepared and solidly ready for new leadership. It is an exciting time for the school and as I leave, I celebrate all of its many successes.
May 30, 2012

The Children's School 1

Posted December 06, 2014
We were very disappointed by this school. There are many excellent schools in this area, including the Public schools Springdale park, Morningside and Inman where your kid would get much better education, not to mention a better environment.

Posted November 21, 2014
TCS is a great fit for our 2 children. Because of the school's size and grade levels (2 classes per grade, 3 year olds - 6th grade), it is able to specifically focus its energy and resources on the development and enrichment of pre-school and elementary age kids. While the learning environment is structured and purposeful, it allows for lots of imagination, creativity, critical thinking and innovation through hands on experiences. The school takes advantage of its multi-building campus and location (near Piedmont Park) to provide lots of outside play and fresh air for its students. Other positives: a reasonable approach to homework; a Big Buddy program where students in older grades regularly spend time with the children in younger grades; diversity that feels authentic; a focus on character and community in the curriculum; a Head of School with a strong vision to provide the kids with the skills they will need to succeed in the future and the drive to make that happen.

Posted July 11, 2014
I can't say enough wonderful things about TCS - curriculum, environment, teachers, administration and families. TCS has a warm, friendly atmosphere, but high expectations for the kids. Academics are appropriately challenging and teachers focus on ensuring children progress each year which means assignments are often individualized. TCS has a unique focus on building character to develop independent, strong, compassionate kids. My 6 year old/rising second grader has recently faced her first challenging situations with friends from other schools and I was amazed at her ability to address the situations head on, successfully resolve conflicts and teach others how to be inclusive. The new head of school, Nishant, is a strong but approachable leader. He is eager to continually identify opportunities for improvement while continuing to promote what works. With 24 kids and 2 teachers per classroom, there's opportunity for individual attention. Our child will be well-prepared for the rigors (academic AND social) of private middle schools.

The Children's School 3

Posted December 05, 2012
WOW...are there K rooms overloaded. Not sure I want my child in a room with 25 kids that I actually have to pay for. Seemed like some teachers don't have teaching/ed backgrounds as well. Kids seemed happy though...and saw lots of parents hanging around.

Posted November 03, 2012
Our experience at The Children's School has been phenomenal! We have watched our son grow into a fine young man with strong academic abilitiies, a great moral character, and a sense of responsibility to his community. We believe TCS is an important component of this growth. His teachers have been excellent, and each one has gone above and beyond typical classroom duties to show their dedication to teaching and caring for the students! He is happy to go to school every day, he looks forward to learning, and he is always eager to come home and share what he has learned with us! The hands-on academic style is great for growing children, and I have no doubt he will be prepared for a rigorous Middle School curriculum when he leaves TCS! He has a diverse group of classmates and has become knowledgeable about a variety of cultures and religions; he is respectful and accepting of differences. When you walk through this school, you see SMILES, students that are fully engaged, teachers that are excited about the material, and a friendly and strong leadrership team. We are genuinely happy to be there, and I can wholeheartedly highly recommend TCS!

Posted October 23, 2012
My daughter attended The Childrens School from second grade through graduation in 8th Grade. She had previously had very bad experience with school and was performing with less than a stellar record. She did not like school and was struggling with her school work. We enrolled her at The Childrens School, mid year in second grade. She blossomed before our eyes and continued on through Middle School. The Childrens School taught her responsibility, an incredible love for learning, respect for her peers and teachers alike. She learnt to communicate with all, to become curious and adventurous and our biggest hurdle was getting through "school break" as she couldnt wait to return to her class. She is now on the deans list at The Bishops School and I cannot find enough ways to thank The Childrens School for their constant caring, concern, and love of all our children. This is an amazing school and I highly recommend it to all. With Much Gratitude and Many Thanks, Michelle Aarons

The Children's School 2

Posted May 09, 2012
Community = families whose children fit the TCS model minus families and staff that have been removed for questioning TCS s methodologies or do not fit their narrow behavioral expectations (If you are on the second half of the equation above, your experience will be brutal). Diversity =term used to describe the racial makeup of TCS. This term does not imply that there is an acceptance of a wide spectrum of behavior or abilities. Student-c entered learning = a teacher-centered approach to teaching children. Student Confidence =hopefully something that appears after kindergarten when students with crushed self-esteem have been weeded out (typically about 30% of the starting pre-primary class in the first 2 yrs). Excellent Staff = a middle tier group in terms of teaching ability. Independence =student is able to follow teacher directives consistently. If TCS is so great why is the Head of School (of 25 yrs) leaving for Woodward ?

Posted May 07, 2012
I have been apart of The Children's School for twelve years. My daughter graduated from TCS and our son is graduating this year. I can't imagine any other school in Atlanta that is as family oriented, and child focused as TCS. Throughout the years the administration has always been accessible and for a parent that's priceless. The children's school offers a stellar academic environment, and your child/children will leave with a confidence that will catapult them to the next level. It has been an amazing experience; not only for my children, but also for my entire family.

Posted April 23, 2012
I am a current parent at TCS that is very pleased with the results I have seen in my children. TCS has an environment that allows my children to thrive independently. I love the sense of community and inclusiveness that I feel when I am on campus. One of many things that attracted my family to TCS was the diversity and how the kids are taught to respect and accept the differences in all people. It is amazing to look at the work my kids were doing at the beginning of the year and compare it to the end of the year. The improvement and growth is what shows me that we picked the right school in TCS. I also love that TCS has many ways for parents to be involved on and around campus. Parents are always welcome to come by and donate their time and knowledge in all sorts of ways. We currently have two kids enrolled and are looking forward to our third to start in the next couple of years.

The Children's School 1

Posted March 27, 2012
I am a current parent of a TCS student anxiously awaiting May 31st our last day of horror. TCS is laughable at best. Academics are terribly lacking substance and rigor. If your primary concern for your child is to be a part of the get-along gang then s/he will do exceptionally well doing nothing. If discipline, focus and academic excellence are of importance to you, I suggest you look elsewhere.

The Children's School