Posted October 08, 2013
The Heiskell School has been a great partner with us in educating our children who have attended from age 2 through Jr. High. As a result we have children who have always tested very high on the Stanford Achievement Tests, the OLSATS, the SSAT, the JATP, etc. while also being artistic/creative. Like all children, they have challenges in different areas, different years. Heiskell principals, teachers, and coaches have been quick to offer the benefit of their experience, sensitivity, wisdom and love of children. I've learned that the school is alert to areas which need extra help early on. The use of iPads in all academic subjects in the Jr. High has been highly stimulating! The library is outstanding. Field trips, often out of town and out of state have been great learning experiences and cherished memories. Activities: Art, Musicals, Basketball, Innovative Service Projects, Drama, Love of Reading Legacy Book Fair, Fall Festival, Track, Cheerleading, Band, Cross Country, Volleyball, Softball and much more. The Bible teaching is comprehensive & integrated into the curriculum. A graduate enters high school with an excellent spiritual, social and academic foundation.

The Heiskell School 1

Posted June 06, 2013
I have mixed feelings about the Heiskell School. My daughter was a student there for two years. The first year was good. The two first grade teachers there are fantastic. However, we had problems in her second year at the school. My child had difficulty in a specific area of math. Rather than focus on that specific area, the school insisted that she be tested for a learning disability. There was lack of partnership with us in trying to help our daughter. The only advice we kept getting was to have her tested. We did have her tested and the psychologist thought we were making a mountain out of a mole hill. The school made us feel as though our child was lacking academically although generally her grades were good. I get the sense that certain children are favored over other children. And yes, it is a very strict environment which doesn't allow kids to be kids. We have decided to move our daughter to another school so that she can rebuild her self-confidence and self-esteem.

The Heiskell School 3

Posted April 28, 2013
Overall excellent academics. This year the school started offering Mandarin which I thought was a fantastic addition and competitive with some of the top local private institution. I will have to say that this school borders legalism and often left my child scared to death to make a mistake. They punish the children for every little thing. My child is very compliant and extremely studious so there is no need for the extreme discipline. I can appreciate the fact that the school offers structure and I am sure upon repeat offenses some the consequences are warranted, but not upon every occurence. While the emphasis on academics is important, so is having a well rounded child(ren) who is not afraid to make mistakes. This school is not parent friendly. STAY OUT! is the message that comes across loud and clear. Heiskell could use a little more grace and practice more of what they preach from the bible.

Posted November 19, 2012
We love the Heiskell school! My boys are thriving there. The teachers are able to focus on their growth and learning because they don't put up with non sense. Every child needs to learn how to respect others and listen. I'm thrilled that they will be able to function in society and not think the world is about them!

The Heiskell School 1

Posted October 30, 2012
The academics at The Heiskell school are very good and the children are sweet, friendly kids. The school leadership treats parents as if they are the enemy and students are not respected. My kindergartener was left in timeout, the lights turned out and the class went for a class photo. She did not say anything as they were leaving for fear of more trouble if she talked in the time out chair. When the class returned she was crying and was told to get in line because they had to go take the picture again. Apologies were not offered to our daughter or to us. The leadership only wanted to discuss our daughters actions and had no time to discuss the teachers actions.

The Heiskell School 3

Posted May 30, 2012
Like most schools, a school is only as good as the fit with the child who attends it. Thatb being said, while the Heiskell School does have some good qualities (ex. small class sizes, Christian education), it is truly not the school for everyone. As a parent, my greatest complaint about the school is its absolute disdain for any type of parental input. I really think they subscribe to a theory that parents entrust their children to the school (with parents of course paying for the education), but ultimately, it's the school's way or no way. There was always an air of defensiveness when a parent asked any type of question relating to their child's progress or regarding anything school related. While my child did learn some good skills at the school, her confidence and spirit were well on the way to being broken, due to the schools "crime and punishment' demeanor with children. I think that the school can be a good fit, depending on the temperament of both child and parents. It definitely was not the fit for our family and we are happily at another local independent school.

Posted January 20, 2012
A number of Heiskell graduates continue their secondary education with great success at the best schools in Atlanta and at top boarding schools. Heisell prepares students for the next level.

Posted November 20, 2011
The Heiskell School is such a rare find! Our two children have grown so much academically and spiritually because we have found a school that we have partnered with to "Train up" our children in what matters most. Academically they are challenged and Spiritually they are nurtured by the wonderful teachers and staff. We are blessed to be a part of the School Family!

Posted July 18, 2011
The Heiskell School is a wonderful school. Both of my daughters started The Heiskell School when they were 3 years old. I am so grateful to The Heiskell School for a multitude of reasons. I am most grateful that my girls are learning The Gospel everyday and in everything they do. The teachers are always loving! My 5th grader loves all of her teachers so much that she has a picture of every one of her teachers since she was 3 years old at home on her desk. Both of my girls have grown so much spiritually and academically since they started school. I am often surprised at how mature they are in comparison to other children their same age.

Posted July 18, 2011
My child has learn so much from attending this school. She learned to read and write before her friends in our neighborhood who attend other schools.

The Heiskell School