School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you to Brown Middle School where we are committed to student success. As I begin my 2nd year at Brown, I will continue to work diligently with all stakeholders to foster an atmosphere that promotes a learning community characterized by top-notch instruction, academic excellence and community involvement. As we prepare for the upcoming school year with the implementation of The Georgia Milestones Assessment System , we are very proud of our teachers and excited to inform you that all of our teachers are highly qualified and certified for their grade level and content area for which they provide instruction. With continued parental and community support, student success is inevitable. Educationally Yours, Mrs. T. Crooms
February 12, 2015

Bad
Good

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted February 12, 2015

Brown Middle School 4

Posted March 31, 2014
This school has an awesome Gifted Program! The teachers and administration card about the kids & put forth the efforts and energy to make sure that these kids stay on track! This is a much better school than many know.

Brown Middle School 5

Posted September 14, 2010
We are new to Brown, with one son in the gifted and talented academy and I am so impressed with the level of expectations, the tenacity of the principal and the rigor of the educational teaching/work. My children have gone to the top rated APS public elementary, middle and high schools. This progarm has truly challenged my son and simultaneously taught him life skills, like time management, organization, quality of work, self-motivation, etc. There are less parents involved in the school overall than the other schools our kids have attended, but there is definitely a difference in the community/workforce/income levels, so that creates gaps in availabiliy of time and financial resources often. I wish the rigor of Brown was felt throughout the entire APS system.

Posted October 03, 2009
Principal Underdue is outstanding, understands the need to involve the community in the development of our children; 'It takes a village!'

Brown Middle School 2

Posted September 27, 2009
This school has so much more potential if it would use the parents more. Parents are the greatest advocates for a child's success. Brown has very low participation in it;s PTSA and so much talent in the parents. If Mr. Underdue would take time to survey the volunteer interests of the parents and truly allow the parents to help him, then this would be one of the best middle schools in Atlanta Public Schools. Communication is in dire need of improvement. This is a uniform school for some students and thus not for others. This needs to be inforced better. There's still a lot of work to be done to make this school better. A school sometimes has to 'grab' the parents and make them feel more welcome!

Brown Middle School 3

Posted September 14, 2008
I think this school has mde great gains,however, the principal is more into his looks than anything else. I want to talk about my child, not about how good he looks.

Posted September 09, 2008
This is my daughter's first year at BMS, so far I have enjoyed her stay. The feedback from teachers is great and it is a totally uniformed school this year.

Brown Middle School 4

Posted September 01, 2007
I am glad Dr. Ordu is gone!!! She broke the spirits of the entire student and staff population!! She also ran out great teachers from 2003-2006; that is why AYP was not met this year--great teachers could not take it anymore !!!Mr Underdue is what the school needs!! He is a positive and firm principal for staff and students!! Brown will go from good TO GREAT NOW! dedicated parent

Brown Middle School 3

Posted January 03, 2007
Brown Middle School has been an eye opening experience, some good, some bad. Brown's enrollment is an asset in a city where middle school enrollments below 1000 are rare. The interactions with some of the administrators and front office staff leaves a lot to be desired. I will say that the extra activities are in abundance and students have and endless list of ways to spend their afternoons. Academically, I see improvement but know that Brown has a way to go. The sad part is that parents fail to realize that a school's academic greatness is highly dependent on their involvement in PTA, and other facets of the school. Brown is similar to any other public school, what will make Brown great is the parents who take an active part in their children and the children of Brown. Hats off to the staff at BMS.

Brown Middle School 5

Posted March 08, 2006
I am beginning to see tremendous change in the way that the school is handling matters. The school is working harder to help the chidren (especially 6th graders) make the adjustment from elementary school to middle school. They are reinforcing good conduct and reiterating to the children how important an education is. I think that the Principal, Dr. Ordu will soon make national news if they stay focused with the right teachers and administators. I am seeing great progress and change. The main goal is for a child to receive an education. If there are factors that affect prohibit the child from receiving an education, then it should be dealt with immediately.

765 Peeples St SW, Atlanta, GA  30310
Last modified Brown Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Brown Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top