Charles R. Drew Charter School

Charter | PK-8

Posted May 18, 2011

My son is in the Gifted Program, but strangely he was the only Gifted child in his class. The poor quality of teachers far out weigh the cirricular. And there's no accountabilty. Im not sure whose interest the people running the school have, but it certainly wasn't my son's. I would stay with my child the entire day to ensure his safety. This teacher broke his spirit which effected his self esteem and absolutely nothing was done. My son had been physically, emotionally, and verbally abused at this educational institution. Complaints and concerns fell on death ears time and time again. My son has a 95% and a100% average in 2 subjects in Sept, by that Oct on his report card he recieved C's in both these subjects. Naturally I was shocked because grades had drastically changed in a matter of weeks without any notice. I was present at the school on a daily basis. At recess my son was playing football along w 2 other boys,doing the exact samething when only my son was picked out. She did this while I wasright there as if I was going to allow her to single him in my presence. She had a lot of nerve. I saught an explaination from administration, they had none execept she didnt know(cont)

Posted January 30, 2011

On paper this school is one of the best. But in reality not so much. We moved to Atlanta not knowing any one or anything about the city. We looked at this web site and choose to move to the East Lake area because of the school and what we had read about how great it was. For the first year it was good, His teacher was wonderful 3/4 of the year the school year my son was not looking forward to school and talked about wanting to move to a new school. When a 6 year old is saying things like that its a sign something is not right. I found out he was being bullied. I went to the teachers and principal and was told it was nothing and it had been dealt with. By the end of the school year it was fixed but the damage was done. The start of the new school year was hard as now I had 2 in the school and the eldest really didn't want to go back there. Other issues came up this time with my younger son. I was told that this was not my base school and so they couldn't give my son the help and support he needed. Knowing that I withdrew the boys 3 weeks into the new school year. The lack of understanding and compassion was undeliverable. But I had no choice.

Posted December 1, 2010

I visited Drew Charter School with the 2010 GPEE (Georgia Partnership for Excellence in Education) and I fell in love with the entire concept. I loved what I saw so much that I took my husband (who is a 5th grade teacher) and my sons (ages 11 and 8) back for a tour. They loved it too! We currently live in a rural community and just to see the opportunities available for these students and their parents via a public school is indeed heartwarming and very encouraging. As an educator, my husband was impressed with the overall environment, the projects on display and our observation of the students and the teachers interacting. My sons were impressed with the projects they saw and the plethora of extra curricular activities to choose from. They were excited to know that foreign language, music AND sports are available. Our prayer is that we can move to the Atlanta area so that our sons can be a part of the Drew Academy and if my husband can teach there, he is ready to sign up! God Bless everyone there for what are doing everyday for every student!

Posted November 15, 2010

I absolutely love Drew Charter School. My child has attended Drew since she was in 6th grade and she LOVES Drew Charter and the teachers. I have found that the teachers have been consistent since she has been there on every grade level. My child has been in regular public school in Atlanta and Dekalb, and out of all the schools I find Drew the best thus far. The teachers care and show an interest in the students excelling. I also like Drew for the extracurricular activities that they provide which in turn will provide a well rounded child. From the chorus performing at different locations, to the band and dance team, the Jr. BETA Club and the bike club. Every school isn't perfect in every area but at Drew Charter I see that they try to work out any issue that arises. So we as the parents of the students shouldn't expect the teachers and staff to raise our kids, we should only expect them to teach them. Drew Charter keep up the good work.

Posted September 20, 2010

I love Drew Charter. My child is in the 1st grade and I have had lots of interactions with the teachers in the school, because I volunteer heavily. The one disappointment has nothing to do with the school, but everything to do with the lack of parental involvement. Granted part of this is because there has not been an active PTA but now that there is, hopefully more parents will step up. The same parents are always there. But overall the principal, and the teachers I find care about the students and want to help.

Posted September 9, 2010

I read all the previous reviews and glad other parents have had a great experience @ Drew. The kids' opinion of the school speaks volumes. My son hates both his teachers and school. How sad for a child. Its not only my son, but other kids felt the same after being asked. I for one am very active- PTA, volunteer @ school, and helped my child prepare for the CRCT. My child has attended for a number of years and I'm there enough to see the behind the scenes. Positive re-enforcement, compassion, and a genuine love and respect for kids and being a teacher/role model is ABSOLUTELY LACKING! The school is full because the teachers and staffs' kids who are out of district attend so priority is not giving to those of East Lake Villages. Is sad cause ppl responsible for the quality of teachers our kids encounter rather make excuses.

Posted September 6, 2010

I love Charles Drew Charter School. My son, who attended private school in elementary, only attended the Junior Academy and graduated June 2010. This school is structured with a warm and nuturing environment. My concern with Drew Charter is mimimum parent involvement. Many parents complain all the time but they do not place their children as priority. For example, they complain about the teachers but they dont come to PTA nor volunteer at school. Some parents complain about the CRCT but they dont spend $16 on a review book ,however, their child wears $200 Jordan's and $100 jeans. Wake Up Parents! Don Duran is an "excellent" principal(check his work history) and while the staff is not perfect, they could be better if we discipline our children at home and prepare them for school DAILY! Dr Bowen is also superb with the Beta Club and Mr Pomeroy is "The Best!" GF

Posted March 31, 2010

I have 3 children that attend Drew Charter School. Coming from a neighborhood Atlanta Public school, I could not have asked for anything better short of putting my kids in Private School. I have recommended Drew to many other parents who have had diffculty getting accepted. I am so thankful mine are in and doing so well.

Posted March 10, 2010

This is a great school. I am so excited that my 3 year old son will attend the school next year. The new principal is great and my interactions with the administration so far have been great. I was so impressed when I visited the pre-K room and found the children having a discussion about marsupials.

Posted February 24, 2010

I give this school Five stars! I have 3 children who is and have been apart of Charles R Drew Charter school. My senior graduates this year in May and I have a sophmore both of whom graduated from Drew. Last year in 2009 Drew implemented a preschool program and I have the honor to say that my 3yr old is the first class. I am very pleased with the progress that my children has made being part of a school which shows Academic Excellence. My sophmore has been on the honor roll since starting Drew in the 5th grade!

Posted September 17, 2009

Drew Charter is an excellent school. The staff takes a special interest in students.

Posted May 4, 2009

Charles R. Drew is a wonderful school My son has been there for three years i have some issues with management, the principal and some of the administration, I love the teachers and the nurse they do a wonderful job keep up the great work!

Posted February 20, 2009

I am a parent, volunteer, and employee of edison schools. My child attends Charles R. Drew Charter. From my experience, the the plans put in place are often not carried out, orginization is poor, and their is very limited resources and services for families and students of Drew. For instance, I requested of my child's teacher and 3 administrators to have a Student Support Team meeting, as intervention was needed to help implement a individualized plan for my child and to encourage successful communication with her indifferent teacher. I requested both verbally and with no notes on several occassions, even mentioning it in a school meeting afterschool to the assistat principal, but received no action. It appears positive reinforcement is not used to encourage children, nor re there any interventions used when a child is having problems (at least not in my case). Instead, they would rather suspend the students.

Posted November 25, 2008

i think drew is a dynamic school it exposes my kids to so much i love drew charter school

Posted September 12, 2008

My son is attending the 1st grade at Drew. This is our first year and we are LOVING it! The teacher is WONDERFUL and the staff and admistration is great. They listen to concerns and try to fix problems that may arise in a very timely matter. Anytime you visit the school you are always greeted and made to feel very welcome. I am so glad to be a part of such a WONDERFUL school.

Posted September 11, 2008

I have had 3 kids to gradute & 2 currently enrolled in Drew and I know this is an excellent school with an awesome cirriculum. I encourage you to try for yourself!

Posted August 2, 2008

I have twins, a daughter and a son. My son goes to Coan and my daughter goes to Drew. My son comes home with homework assignments that I find challenging and hard wile my daughter does baby stuff. He recieved higher test scores than she did and is happy to attend Coan. He like his principal and she does not. His teachers are always calling me and hers does not. I taught charter schools were better. Not in this case, maybe the principal should walk down the street and visit Dr. Williams and Coan. I am moving my daughter to Coan.

Posted June 20, 2008

This is an awful school. The teachers are lazy. The principle is rude and talks down to everyone. The academics are failing. I have 2 children who attend and their education has suffered. This is not a good school period.

Posted June 11, 2008

After searching for a quality learning experience in the APS System, we found that Charles R. Drew was far beyond note worthy. The opportunities and Drew are rich. The best prepared students can continue their education at selected top eschalon high schools both public and private. Families who choose to foster and build relationships with administration, faculty and staff will find that Drew's doors are always open. By the way, it is okay not to agree to issues and have differences of opinions and views without repercussions. Parents are utimately responsible for sending their children to school with a ready attitude to learn. We have no second thoughts, with our choice of Drew. This eminates from the on point and steadfast leadership of the school's administrator, loyal faculty and staff. Their committment to make a difference to all the students and their families only serves to reinforce our choice of Drew.

Posted May 10, 2008

As a parent, professional, and one of the community leaders in the area, i feel compelled to comment on the failing performance of this once striving establishment. I believe that success for our youth begins with the leadership, staff, and community (parents) as a whole. I am highly displeased with the current principal Dr. Stapleton as in a few occassions as i have visited Charles R. Drew and have found that the principal has demeaning and unprofessional mannerisms towards his staff, the children, and even some parents. I assure you this is not a message of personal attack. I have a child that had attended this establishment and i am highly disappointed of the high percentage of educator turnover, the undocumented disciplinary situations, and the nonchalant attitude of the principal. It appears that with the lack of competent leadership comes an alarming degradation of acedemic performance. The Board will be notified.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 93% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 95% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 85% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 97% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

76 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Writing

The state average for Writing was 82% in 2012.

89 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

• Nicholas Stapleton
Fax number
  • (404) 687-0480

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now