Charles R. Drew Charter School 1

Posted September 17, 2014
Do not waste your time on the PreK lottery. The only children that get in are siblings of current students and little ones coming from the feeder daycare program. Big fat waste of time to do their "lottery" - you will not get in!

Posted September 05, 2014
We have absolutely LOVED our experience at Drew. My son has made so many friends over the years. He has learned to adapt to new situations and work collaboratively with others. The two specials that he has during the day give him exposure to different things that he wouldn't ordinarily have tried. My engineer uncle was amazed that my 7 year old was able to make a perspective drawing at such a young age and is actually using power tools to build things in school. As he gets older I know that he will be fully aware of all of his options in life. The day is about an hour longer than traditional schools but for us it's worth it and honestly my son has never noticed that the day is a bit longer.

Posted September 04, 2014
The instructional program at Drew Charter Junior Academy is academically rigorous, but at the same time, incredibly supportive and the teachers and staff have created a warm and caring culture. The building and resources at the Junior/Senior Academy are absolutely phenomenal! This is our first year at Drew and we look forward to our son graduating from Drew.

Charles R. Drew Charter School 3

Posted July 17, 2014
I had my child a Drew last year before we moved to Decatur. If anyone is trying to decide between the two, I found Decatur City Schools to be a better fit for my family. Drew is getting sooo big, which is a negative in my opinion. (Have fun at drop-off and pick-up and don't plan on having any of your kids friends in the same class when there are 7 classes in one grade.) Seriously, Drew is fine, but the long school day, 8-4, is a bit much for younger kids. And while the extra time is spent on extracurricular activities like music or art, I felt like my child was never going to become proficient at any thing since they switch classes a couple times each semester. I'd rather have my child out of school at 2:45 in time to go to lessons, whether swimming, piano, etc., where I know he will actually have time to fully develop his skills. Just my two cents.

Posted November 20, 2013
I am and student and from y perspective Drew is amazing especially with the new high school coming Drew will be academically unstoppable. I love this school and its staff and I plan on never leaving until I graduate from its life changing " Cradle To College Program" By the way so you can marvel at my education I am in 7th grade and am using a laptop from our grant and partnership with Echo.

Posted September 10, 2013
Drew is a breathe of fresh air. This is our first year and already it's like night and day from where we came from. Both kids are in TAG but have been introduced to some pretty incredible things that expand way beyond. Very pleased and happy to have them as a partner in my childrens education.

Posted August 15, 2013
I attended Drew Charter from grades 2nd to 8th (2001-2008) and I must say it was a great experience! All of my teachers were very helpful in many different ways. The teachers there encouraged me to move forward and to do my best even if I didn't know what I was doing. Even though I have graduated from there and high school, I still go up to visit my old teachers that are still there because they still care and it shows.

Posted August 14, 2013
We are in our 4th year at Drew Charter School and I can't say enough great things about the school. We have a very supportive staff and great parents. The kids have been exposed to so many great opportunities that they otherwise would not have experienced. We are very lucky to have found this school.

Posted August 02, 2013
Drew Charter school is a 5 star school! It is a top notch academic school with concerned faculty and supporting staff. The security team is ever present and my kids are safe. I only wish there was a Drew University.

Posted April 24, 2013
My daughter started with Drew in Pre-K... I must admit the expectation level academically is above and beyond what I experienced growing up in the City of Decatur School System which was then and now a very good school system. I love the challenge that is placed on the kids to get them to think outside of the box and their own comfort levels. Although this school challenge my child to be her absolute best... at times, I find myself being challenged with science and social studies projects as well. My daughter is now in 3rd grade and I have enjoyed almost all of her teachers with the exception of one up to this point. Overall I think Drew is an excellent school however, I have found it a little perplexing that as the demographics of the area changed so has the schools in this area as all schools educationally should be equal.

Charles R. Drew Charter School
301 E Lake Blvd SE, Atlanta, GA  30317
Last modified Charles R. Drew Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Charles R. Drew Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 71 reviews. Top