Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

As a parent and an educator, I disagree with the poster who states that "every child should have homework to keep them engaged." Homework is not a means of keeping students engaged. It is so refreshing to find a school like Drew that realizes that student engagement begins and takes place primarily in the classroom. If students are engaged in the classroom, they will remain engaged. Homework, in most cases,only serves to burn children out and denies them the opportunity to have a love of learning. The students at Drew are engaged in the classroom and after school they have the opportunity to engage in meaningful play and extracurricular activities. This gives them an opportunity to have a well-rounded school experience. Before Drew, my young child was buried in homework and hated school. We couldn't participate in any extracurricular activities due to the extreme amount of homework. It is refreshing to find a school who realizes that if students love learning they will remain engaged.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

Because every child should have homework to keep them engaged

Our daughters have attended Drew for 4 years and we have no regrets in sending them there through later elementary and Junior Academy. All schools have their negatives and positives - not every teacher can be fabulous and caring - but that's real world. I don't want our children to be coddled. I do, however, want them to learn about hard work and results. They receive this here, along with great guidance from many teachers. If they need extra help they have been comfortable in asking, or going to Ms. Hudson, the guidance counselor.

I absolutely love this school. my daughter went her for 2nd and 3rd grade and her teachers as well as all staff members I came in contact with were amazing. They truly care about out children and helping them achieve greatness. I have been trying to move back in the area only so that my children can attend this school again.

This is our first year at Drew. I have one child in the elementary and another in the jr. academy. Coming from private school, we are extremely happy with the education our children are receiving. The amount of knowledge and resources the teachers have access to only adds to the rich experience all the students receive. Communication can be improved but every school has it's cons, and I can tell they are still working out some kinks. All in all, great school! If you get in through lottery, consider yourself lucky.

Teachers here do not care about your child. I have heard of one teacher that dragged a kid by the arm to the ground and another that has cussed at the kids. School of excellence? I don't think so. And if you have an issue with a teacher, the principal of the school WILL NOT help you.

I picked Drew due to my little sister thriving while attending. She is now in the 11th Grade. My son has really been struggling his last 2 years at Drew and it seems that most students from single parents households are slowly diminishing from the schools population. Drew's kindergarten program is phenomenal but when your child reaches 2nd grade, the teachers seem to no longer care. I pray things get better and I have faith that our family will beat the politics of what the school is attempting to do.

Do not waste your time on the PreK lottery. The only children that get in are siblings of current students and little ones coming from the feeder daycare program. Big fat waste of time to do their "lottery" - you will not get in!

We have absolutely LOVED our experience at Drew. My son has made so many friends over the years. He has learned to adapt to new situations and work collaboratively with others. The two specials that he has during the day give him exposure to different things that he wouldn't ordinarily have tried. My engineer uncle was amazed that my 7 year old was able to make a perspective drawing at such a young age and is actually using power tools to build things in school. As he gets older I know that he will be fully aware of all of his options in life. The day is about an hour longer than traditional schools but for us it's worth it and honestly my son has never noticed that the day is a bit longer.

The instructional program at Drew Charter Junior Academy is academically rigorous, but at the same time, incredibly supportive and the teachers and staff have created a warm and caring culture. The building and resources at the Junior/Senior Academy are absolutely phenomenal! This is our first year at Drew and we look forward to our son graduating from Drew.

Last modified Charles R. Drew Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades PK-9