Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (8 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (9 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (9 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

My experience is a little unique with this school. I am THAT parent. I have 2 boys now 8 & 9. I enrolled my boys here from Pre-K to 3rd grade moved here from Miami, three years in total was our time here and we could not have had a better experience. This school is very involved with the parents and students. They partake in the community and do great activities for the kids. I was a little bit of a Pain in the butt parent with some pain in the butt kids but Ms. Goggins (Principal) and Ms. Haltrecht (Asst. Principal) and the counselors, just all the administrative staff was ALWAYS fully supportive of me even when I was UGLY. They have NEVER disrespected me and my views. Ms. Goggins is a realist who completely understands where I was coming from and how she could help me. She always was there and that one on one care is hard to find especially from a Principal. They know you by name in DSES and I can not express how much we are going to miss the school as we moved to Gwinnett County but if you are looking and this is your school district, you will be very please by all the staff at this school. They are all on the same page and they ALWAYS try to make the experience better. I had put them thru some challenges with my boys and we had words. I am not lying...they all knew me there but they ALL HELPED ME and that's how you know you are at an excellent school. They went to bat for me at the IEP meetings and helped me intensely with anything I needed for my children even when I was ugly at the meetings. If I needed extra meetings, a referral or anything, they were there. We are completely pleased and happy with our experience at DSES and wouldn't change it for anything. They have also taught me skills and patience and that is priceless. Thanks Dunwoody Springs for being the great school you are! Thanks Ms Goggins and all the teachers we had! Sincerely, The Lansdown Family!

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Ivy Goggins is a top notch leader!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

We found our PERFECT home, but that didn't matter if the school wasn't also PERFECT! We had a short amount of time to make a choice, so I called the school to schedule a tour. I was so amazed by the students, the teachers, the staff, the building, the meaningful learning the students were engaged in, the diversity of the students, the behavior of the students, and everything else the school has to offer. So, of course, we purchased our PERFECT home. Now, we are a bit more than half way through the school year. Math typically does not come as easy for my daughter as the other subjects, but with the amazing communication the teacher has with me and the effective strategies she implements, my daughter is excelling in math! I love Ms. Wood and DSES!

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

There is a perfect balance of homework. I also love the "No Homework" Family Fun Nights that encourage family time.

I love everything about Dunwoody Springs Elementary! Everyone is always so positive and friendly...from the staff that gets my daughter out of the car each morning at drop off, the front desk staff, the cafeteria staff, teachers, and all support staff...always friendly and positive! One of my favorite aspects of DSES is the TOP NOTCH communication between school and home!! Each week I receive an email detailing the standards and curriculum that will be taught in my daughter's class as well as other important updates. I never have to wonder what is going on in the classroom and am able to provide support or challenges at home if needed. In addition, here are a few more of my favorite things about DSES: the vast diversity of the students across ethnicity and socio-economic status, Ivy Goggins...what an awesome leader, the Project Based Learning experiences, opportunities to help within the school, alternative seating, perfect balance of homework, "No Homework" Family Fun Nights that encourage family time, the differentiated instruction that takes place so the needs of each student are met...I could go on and on. DSES is a great place to be! If you are looking to move to this area, I highly encourage you to contact the school to schedule a tour. I'm SO glad I did!

I am actually a teacher at this school, but I wanted to share my love for my workplace. I have worked at Dunwoody Springs for 5 years. I love my school because it is a challenging work environment, but we have a true work family romance going on. Teachers work in cooperative grade level teams to plan effective lessons and share best ideas. We are all about sharing! Also, communication is very important to us so it is a priority to communicate with families and other staff members. I love my school because I feel supported by admin. and parents. This is important because this trickles down to the students. Teachers feel a sense of community with one another which enables our classrooms to become little communities also. DSES is a great place to work!

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

The principle has won Principle of the Year for the county and is, in my opinion, one of the best principles in the state, if not country. Her leadership skills show throughout her administration and the school. I've never had a concern the school didn't promptly and adequately address, and I've rarely had any concern to even bring up. I've worked with the Principle, Governance Council, as well as head teachers for each grade level and they all have integrity and take what they do seriously. They show up everyday for the kids and it shows. There is always a smile and friendly greeting and they are always there to help, student or parent.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The student body is extremely diverse in terms of ethnicity, social economic status and abilities. This allows students to interact with peers that represent every facet of America. The teachers and administrators balance fun and creativity, and learning and knowledge, with discipline and structure. There are several activities that focus on social and life skills and they are rewarded for showing good behavior like integrity, compassion and respect.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers are knowledgeable and easy to get along with. They really care about the kids and their job and it shows. My daughter hasn't had a bad experience with any teacher and she has been going to DSES from K to 4th grade. The project base learning curriculum just brings out the best from teachers who were already great before its implementation.

Amount of homework: Agree

DSES does a good job of balancing homework and providing either advanced or remedial homework if your child needs it. There is never so much homework that my child cannot go to bed at a decent hour and there are number of no homework days called "Family Night" to encourage family time. However, the homework is a good summary of what they are reviewing and allows me to be better informed on where they are in the lesson plan and how my child is doing with the current lesson. I've never had a problem that I couldn't get the answer from the teacher in a timely fashion.

Last modified Dunwoody Springs Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.