Parkside Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted July 11, 2014

When my family moved to Atlanta in the summer of last year we had a plan to send our Kindergartener to Parkside until we could land an ever-coveted spot at ANCS or Drew Charter. What we quickly realized was that Parkside is rich in diversity, has an administrative team that is dedicated to the their students and school, and significant parental involvement. Big things are happening at Parkside and I'm excited for next year and the years to come!

Posted May 15, 2014

School is a warm and caring environment that allows kids to grow and perform,. They are ready to move on to Middle School when they are done here and continue to achieve great things, it has been a pleasure sending our kids here for the last 8 years and we have three more years here. We are looking forward to all the great things that the school does

Posted May 8, 2014

My odlest son will be finishing up his 5th grade year at Parkside in the next couple weeks. He has been there for 7 years (since he started PreK) and we have been completely impressed with the faculty and the wonderful education that he has received. We also have a 2nd grade daughter who has been there since PreK as well and will remain through her 5th grade year. Every single teacher that both of them has had has been top notch. As a school system employee myself, I have worked in several schools around the Metro area and Parkside is among the best of the best. There are plenty of enrichment activities that might not be available at some other schools including Gifted, Robotics, Safety Patrol, Dance Team, music lessons, etc. Parkside has become a second family to us and is a diverse and accepting community school that I highly recommend!

Posted May 8, 2014

I have two children at Parkside Elementary School, both started in the Pre K program. I couldn't be happier with their success! Both kids have excelled socially and academically. Parkside's teachers are involved and teach the students more than just what is in the text books, they teach how to be successful in life. The Robotics club, boys public speaking competition, piano have been some of my favorite extras that not all other schools offer.

Posted May 8, 2014

Parkside Elementary has been the perfect choice for my twins daughters. They started in Pre-K and have had another amazing year in Kindergarten. I've been very impressed by the experience of the Kindergarten team and how much my girls- who are the youngest in their classes- have learned in such a short amount of time. Both are reading- one proficiently- and are excelling in math and science. Most importantly they love to learn and are excited to apply what they're learning to the world around them. Their creative spirit has been nutured as well- I see it in the stories they're now writing! I love that when I walk through the doors at Parkside I'm greeted by friendly teachers who know me and my children. I feel confident in the leadership of our new principal, Caitlin Sims, and can tell that she is focused on strengthening and building upon the good foundation of the school. It's important to me that my children attend a school that serves and is representative of their community, provides them with a strong academic foundation, as well as diverse social experience. Parkside does this and more families in the neighborhoods it serves are coming to the same conclusion.

Posted May 8, 2014

My daughter is currently a fifth grade student and has attended Parkside for the last six years beginning in the kindergarten. Her first principal, Dr. Battle as well as her second principal, Dr. Luck were phenomenal leaders. My child loves her school and I have enjoyed each teacher she has had the opportunity to learn from. The teachers are strong, educated and grounded in love. She is challenged when necessary and given encouragement when needed. All teachers are different but Parkside is a like a second family. I feel so at ease, leaving her in caring hands each day and I know she is receiving a quality eduation. I love the extra curricular activities offered at the school as well as the diversity that has been there since my child started in the kindergarten. We will truly miss the relationships and the family bond that has been formed once the school year comes to and end. Parkside is an awesome school and both of the previous principals worked diligently to put Parkside on the map.

Posted May 8, 2014

My first-grade daughter is in her second year at parkside and we couldn't be happier. Learning is fun but rigorous (expect homework right from Kindergarden). The teachers are warm but professional - my daughter gets hugs just about every morning from her teachers. The administration is communicative, approachable, and truly interested in input and finding solutions to issues that arise. And as a parent, you are welcome just about any time for observation, meeting your kid for lunch, chaperoning field trips, or volunteering during or outside of school hours. I am impressed with how many teachers hold advanced degrees and/or are from very prestigious schools. I also love how well-equipped Parkside is - because of its Title 1 status, it gets extra funding, and uses it wisely. Rooms have promethean boards, multiple computers for students to use, a special digital slate for teachers to project visuals onto the promethean board, and lots of other high-tech equipment. These kids will be well prepared for the 21st century! I wish more families in Grant Park would consider Parkside as a viable option - it has so much potential, and with more parent involvement it will truly shine

Posted May 8, 2014

Parkside is a diverse and loving environment where my child has received excellent academic instruction. Science and mathematics are an emphasis, and we also have an amazing art program. My child loves his teachers and his school, and it is a place that I find very warm and inviting as a parent as well.

Posted May 8, 2014

I am the proud parent of a Parkside second grader. I have to say that I am continually amazed at this wonderful Parkside community's capacity for collaboration and engagement--not only by parents and stakeholders, but by the school's faculty, staff and administration as well. I have never been made to feel anything other than welcome and all of my input/comments/frustrations have been heard with interest and resolutions to ANY issue I had were immediately forthcoming. The level of instruction is, in my experience, excellent and every teacher my son has had since kindergarten has gone out of their way to make themselves available to me any time I needed to check in on his progress. Is it a perfect school? Absolutely not. There are things that frustrate me and things that I think can be done a little better. But these are, to me, secondary to the fact that I have a happy, well-adjusted Parkside second grader and that makes me a happy Dad.

Posted May 7, 2014

I have been a Parkside Elementary School parent since 2007, when my oldest son began his attendance there in kindergarten. My initial plan was to have him start there and then proceed to move him to a nearby charter school. My oldest son is now in middle school and my youngest son now attends Parkiside in kindergarten. I am still pleased with the school and look forward to another awesome K-5 experience. I believe the parental involvement and school leadership is just as strong, if not stronger, than it was back in 2007.

Posted May 7, 2014

I love the community at Parkside. I feel like there are teachers and staff that truly love my children there. I feel like my input is welcome and considered. I have found that the teachers and administrators are accessible when I need to discuss my children's behavior or academic progress. My eldest children always meets and usually exceeds the scores necessary for the CRCT. His 4 years at Parkside prepared him for the further challenges of middle school. My yongest child has had an excellent Pre-K experience. He has learned how to behave in a learning environment and has begun to read to us! I try to be as involved as my schedule will allow and always feel energized and inspired after events. Many people really seem to "have your back" at Parkside. I've watched someone else's child, on the spur of the moment and have had other parents pitch in for me when something has come up. South East Atlanta feels very small town to me and I feel like this "village" is taking good care of my children.

Posted May 7, 2014

Parkside is considered by many as the "second choice" school in Grant Park, where you go if you don't make it into the lottery for the Charter school. However, my son didn't get in to the charter school, spent a month at Parkside, and we decided that even if we did get in to the charter school, we would turn it down in order to stay at Parkside. His Kindergarten teacher, Mr. Weems, is a better teacher than we could have ever hoped for. The academics are rigorous and challenging, the programs are rich and diverse, and the Gifted And Talented program is top notch (and not available at the charter school). Having problems with the amount of candy at the school, but working with the Principal Caitlin Sims, who is working hard to make nutrition a high priority. Principal is great - she's known for turning schools around, and is certainly doing that at Parkside.

Posted May 7, 2014

We have been so impressed with Parkside - the academics, extracurricular activities, and the community. We are also extremely pleased with the resources Parkside has at its disposal and the uses it makes of those resources. I am confident in the education my child is receiving at Parkside and comforted by the fact that Parkside has the resources, talent and desire to help my current student (and my children who will be entering Parkside in the coming years) no matter what challenges may be presented down the road.

Posted May 7, 2014

We had a great experience at Parkside from PreK-5th Grade! We have recommended this school to many of our friends and neighbors with elementary aged children.

Posted May 7, 2014

Parkside used to be the most-transferred ES in the school district until capacity prevented additional transfers. Now neighborhood families are choosing Parkside as well, making it a wonderful gem in the Southeast Atlanta community. Our new principal is amazing, bringing wonderful resources and much-needed "growing pains" processes to the school. My son has loved his two years there.

Posted May 7, 2014

My son attends Parkside Elementary. We love the teachers and the all the parents that dedicate their time and efforts to making Parkside what it is. The new garden project shows the beginning of more community connections. Principal Simms has graced us with a new vision for Grant Park's Parkside Elementary. The school has an exceptional support staff that makes it all happens. Kudos to our previous principal Dr Lucky , whom set the pace.

Posted May 7, 2014

Parkside has been a great school for our son. It has a great group of teachers and tremendous facilities and programs. Our son is excited every day to go to school and is happy to do his homework every night.

Posted May 7, 2014

I am a grandmother of 2 girls who have attended Parkside since 2009. They have had excellent teachers and participated in the violin program. The school is very welcoming and the teachers approachable. I have been volunteering in the classroom each week for the last 1 1/2 years and have been impressed with the teachers and staff. I would recommend this school to anyone who livs in the district.

Posted October 9, 2013

I was previously happy with this school but after this past school year I am very disappointed. My child made high honor roll but unlike most parents I wasn't happy. Why you may ask? Well I often assess my child to see if she is in fact learning what she is supposed to. I was so disappointed because what they said my child knew she didn't and it was impossible for her to have been on honor roll. I often times asked about certain things I knew she should be learning and was just told oh everything is fine. On top of that they do a very poor job of recognizing the few parents who volunteer and stay involved. I knew it was time to go when my own child asked to go to another school. I am Black but I come from a very culturally diverse background and grew up with people from all races and nationalities and that is one thing I desired for my child. If this is something you want for your child, you will not find it here. However, they will be well educated in AA History, Sororities, and Fraternities which is not a bad thing at all except when its all you display. The world we live in is not just Black and not just White. I don't know when APS schools North and South will realize this.

Posted October 8, 2013

We have had a terrible experience and can't wait to find another school that we can switch our daughter to. We have had issues where other children have hit our daughter & used racial slurs at her and teachers who do little if anything about it. We are 1 of the VERY FEW white families at this school and have not been warmly welcomed. I have spoken with the administration they state that they will handle it yet nothing ever changes and no follow up is ever received. The staff seems to care very little and I was shocked that they did not have a required daily planner for the students to use to teach them responsibility, time management and self confidence. There is no cultural diversity amongst the staff, all staff is of black decent except the principal. The gym is full of roll models and their pictures, all of which are black. There seems to be quite a bit of racism toward white families & we feel uncomfortable here. I hate to have to say that as we try to show our children that everyone is created equal and how someone acts is more important than how they look. This does not seem to be a value that the school and many of the families we have come in contact with seem to follow.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

61 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Phillip Luck
Fax number
  • (404) 624-9855

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

• Drama

School culture

• Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom