Bad
Good

I am overjoyed at the experience that we have had with ANCS thus far. My daughter was on the waiting list for 5th grade for the 2015-16 school year and was blessed to be able obtain a place in this school. Everyone has been very friendly and welcoming. My daughter came from a school where not only the teachers but the principal didn't care either. This has been the happiest I have seen my daughter in any school here in Georgia. I look forward to seeing how my baby blossoms under their care and teaching. The principal or the assistant principal is out there each morning opening the car door for each child and greeting them as well as the parent. And the fact that the teachers take the time to find out where the parents would like to their child academically makes me hopeful that my daughter will be able to be where she should have already been and beyond, by the end of the school year. I absolutely love this school and I wouldn't change my decision to enroll her.

I have to document a huge misperception that this school actively promotes, which is the possibility that neighborhood children have a decent chance of attending it. Unfortunately, as siblings of existing students, children of staff, faculty and Board members all get priority acceptance, this leaves an ever dwindling number of slots for actual net-new students. And the waitlist that begins for incoming Kindergarten students often lasts 2-3 years, which means the likelihood of any new children getting into the school is ridiculously slim. Yet people move to OP/GP in hopes of attending it, not knowing how unlikely a chance they stand. And don't bother asking anyone at ANCS about it, as they obfuscate any discussion with vagaries and spin. It's a nice program that has unfortunately insulated itself into a exclusive little club that's a total catch-22. If you aren't already in, don't bother trying.

This school should consider changing their name. It is not a neighborhood school and does not serve students living less than 0.5 miles to the west of the school. Their attendance lines make absolutely no sense. You can walk to the school but not attend.

I have had a child at this school since its doors opened in 2001. There have been highs and there have been lows, but over all my children have all learned and been very happy here. Some necessary changes took a long time to realize and remedy, but once remedied the school seems back on its original track. I do realize that this is not the primary school for this district and due to amazing growth (like I said, I've been around a while :)) it is becoming more and more difficult to attend this school, but I am very happy that they don't succumb to pressure and enlarge the student body. I love the personalized treatment each of my children has received.

I live across the street from the school....Great Charter School in best neighborhood in Atlanta! The playgrounds / play areas include learning experiences unseen in other elementary schools. They have a gardening area, a very cool treehouse made of sticks, an outdoor basketball cort, workout stations for pullups, balance, etc. Many of the children walk or ride their bikes to school. The fparent involvement is unparalleled.

As a parent of a rising first grader and another entering kindergarten this fall, I have been immensely impressed with this school. Despite going through an uphill battle (which continues) with APS to get needed funding, this school has continued to provide an environment of excellence. The community in this school, including teachers, administrators, parents, and students is nurturing and supportive. I really enjoy going to morning meetings and volunteering in the school. Even though I work full time, I find time in my schedule for ANCS. My son and daughter love going to school and that sums up the greatness of this school! We are excited for the school year to begin.

I have one word for the school, outstanding! 2012 is our first year, and both of my children have been welcomed with open arms. The curriculum is well thought out,concise, and meaningful. My younger child who attends the elementary campus was behind in some concepts, and was quickly assessed to receive tutoring 5 days a week. I could not be happier with this school. They care about the children, and the staff, and administration are above par. A great choice, and example of an excellent public charter school education.

Small, personal, and caring learning environments. Teachers and faculty know students in a deep meaningful way. Parents are involved and informed. Amazing!

I'd give the school 10 stars if I could. I have a 3rd grader and a 4th grader at the school and couldn't be happier. The school goes above and beyond to not only educate the kids but to help them become outstanding members of society. I truly feel my children will be happier, successful adults in part to the hard work the faculty at NCS puts forth. The school encourages full parent involvement and I have never once felt my thoughts and ideas would not be heard. It truly is a community school.

I will not give less than 5 stars so as not affect the school rating. NCS is a wonderful program, graduating talented and responsible children. BUT, it is important for Grant Park residents to know that this is not the primary school for the neighborhood. Due to the Board's failure to anticipate enrollment trends and the large size of Zone 1 (which is apparently a sacred cow that will not be altered), the acceptance rate for this year's Kindergarten class was 36%. 18 spots for 50 non-employee applicants. The school is wonderful, but the fact that a majority of Grant Park residents are now rejected from the program creates a bifrucated community of young families in the neighborhood. Families that are left out have ZERO voice in affecting change. The entire Board of Directors is from families that are in the school, they will not respond to community concerns about the inaccessability of the school to the majority of neighborhood residents. Those that are lucky enjoy a fabulous education. Those that are not stand silently aside. The majority is now neglected. Neighborhood trends are getting younger, with an average working age of 29. This problem is getting worse, not better.

Last modified Neighborhood Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.