No rating

Atlanta Girls School

Private | 6-12 | 223 students

Living in Atlanta

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $637,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,120.

Posted January 30, 2012

This school is not only hypocritical but fake. Teachers only pay attention to who they want to pay attention. There is also unfair behaviors towards other people. They over exaggerate thing that are actually petty. They also act like when we gossip that we killed someone. No matter where you go someone is going to gossip. They also are very bias and accuse people for certain things. This school is over expensive and we're not even getting a good education. Academics are just typical.

Posted August 24, 2011

Both our girls are at AGS. As a dad, I could not be happier. Serious college-prep academics and a system designed to develop girls into thinkers and leaders, despite the toxic "popular culture" of today's world.

Posted July 11, 2011

I graduated from the Atlanta Girls' School in 2010 after attending since the 6th grade. I can whole-heartedly and without reservation say that not only is it the best thing that has ever happened to be, it was single-handedly responsible for turning me into the the well-read, confident individual I am today. That being said, it is a school in its infancy. Unlike surrounding private schools it does not yet have the benefit of many years of practice. If student and parent alike are willing to grow with and contribute to the school community, rather than complaining, it can be the most rewarding experience you can give your daughter.

Posted April 18, 2011

My daughter attended AGS for 7th-10th grade. Now that she is at a different private school (TFS) I realize that the education she received while at AGS was adequate, but certainly not above ordinary. During her first 3 yrs at AGS, we paid the full tuition price, with no fin. aid. During her soph. yr at AGS, we rcv'd some fin. aid. One day my daughter came home and said she had been giggling with a classmate and her teacher stated, in front of the class, "I think people getting cheap tuition should be grateful to be in class with the other students and pay attention instead of messing around". Now, my daughter had no idea she was receiving any aid, so the only way this teacher knew is if it was broadcast by the adminstration. When I called her 'teacher' to ask if she did indeed announce this to the whole class, her reply was "we expect those kids going to AGS free (my daughter was not going free, I was still paying $14,400 yearly) to require less of the teachers attention than our other students". I then realized that I was paying over $1000 monthly for my daughter to receive an ordinary education with the benefit of being treated like trash by teachers. She did not return to AGS.

Posted November 10, 2010

My daughter absolutely loves this school and I love it for her. It is Georgia's best kept secret in education. This school has brought out the best in her. Atlanta Girls' School encourages independence, confidence, leadership and out of the box thinking within all of the girls. We have great programs like Winterim, EDLS, STEM, Internships and the Capstone Project. There are so many opportunities for the girls to explore their passions and interests. Technology is incorporated into every aspect of their curriculum and the teachers are vested in the success of every girl. Come and see our school. You will be amazed!

Posted November 8, 2010

My daughter absolutely loves going to school every day at AGS. She is in 6th grade and in just a few short weeks her self confidence has increased ten-fold. She is comfortable with all the students in her grade and her teachers. She has no problem asking for help (if needed) or conducting a student-lead conference. AGS focuses on leadership, technology, and helping girls find their voice so they can pursue any passion they might have. The teachers truly care about the girls and their education. They also help guide the girls thru the difficult middle school years by giving them the tools to deal with conflict and helping them resolve issues with confidence. I highly recommend AGS to any girl who wants to feel like she can "be herself" and be challenged in a great learning environment.

Posted October 17, 2010

The Atlanta Girl's School offers a quality education that includes the best technologically integrated program in the city, supportive teachers and staff, and so many more opportunities for adolescent girls than they could possibly receive at any coed private school. TAS encourages a well rounded girl profile and creates a more confident teenageer. Our only complaint it that there is too much homework in HS. Having an average of four hours of homework seems incongruent with their philosophy and efforts of encouraging participating in sports, the arts, clubs, and civic pursuits.

Posted April 27, 2010

This is my second year at AGS. I am very happy to be there. As with any school there are some challenges but at AGS they are few and far betwwen. As for the school being sheltered well thats not true. In fact if you spend a day wit us in our classrooms and during lunch you will see just how open we are. I have learned so much while attending AGS and i plan on staying through high school. I am currently in 7th grade.

Posted April 22, 2010

This is my daughter's 2nd year in middle school at the Atlanta Girls School. We have been very satisfied with all aspects of her education here. She has grown not just in her confidence, but also in her abilities thanks to the many opportunities, supportive environment and exemplary teachers and role models at the school. There is a surprising number of other opportunities including leadership, exploring interests through clubs and participation in sports.

Posted April 7, 2010

Being close to the end of our first school year here, I as a parent, don't feel the community.I have volunteered for many events and when I come to provide my services, I have been told they had enough people, asked to go to other places in the event to serve and I have tried to talk to the parents at the events, but have been shunned. My daughter seems to do well socially now, but just recently.Before she was left out of drama groupos, rarely was picked for projects, etc. Each new student is assigned to a host 'family'. Our family has never called us and won't even speak to us at school events unless we speak first. I'd like to see a more warm environment. Academically, it depends on the teacher.There is a large inconsistency in the level of involvement in teaching. Differences are made in students receiving financial

Posted March 31, 2010

I strongly warn anyone considering this school to do their due-diligence. AGS has pretty good packaging, but behind the scenes, this school is a great big mess! Make sure you ask the important questions: What are the qualifications of the teachers? How many years have the teachers taught (at AGS and in general)? What is the guiding philosophy of the school? Why has their been so much turn over in teachers and at the Head level? How are teachers trained to teach girls? Ask for specific examples of assignments and projects. Unfortunately, AGS has a true identity crisis. It doesn't know who it is, or who it wants to be! It seems that it is being led by those who are more interested in their leaving behind their own legacy, than providing a good education for the girls.

Posted March 12, 2010

My daughter attended the school for 6 years. There were times during the eighth grade and her first year in high school when she wanted to leave AGS. During that period, several of her classmates left to attend coed public and private high schools. We did not rule out the option of going to another school, but we encouraged her to stay at AGS. This was not too difficult, because she had become so involved in various athletic and academic programs at the school, and was emotionally attached to the faculty and students. We were confident that we did the right thing and very pleased that she did not leave AGS. In hindsight, we are even more confident of our decision. During her first semester in college, her former AGS teachers and coaches sent a basket of treats to her dorm room. My daughter called to tell us about it, and was obviously very touched by the gesture. At least once whenever she is home from college, she visits AGS and is always greeted with open arms by the faculty and staff. She will graduate from college in a few months, and is an extremely confident, responsible, and happy young woman. There is no doubt that AGS gave her the warm, supportive, yet challenging, environment she needed to thrive.

Posted March 5, 2010

We have two daughters in 6th and 9th grades at AGS. They feel supported, encouraged, and more is asked of them in their pursuits, whether it is in the classroom or as an athlete. Our daughters and their friends never feel undermined by either their peers or their educational experience, and as a result they are willing to stretch for brass rings they might have felt at another school were out of reach (joining an athletic team, taking an honors math course, leading in student government, advocating for themselves to a teacher, etc.). I love their quiet confidence in their own value. The education is topnotch: the students hone strong, creative problem-solving skills, and they learn to represent their thoughts respectfully, eloquently, and clearly in writing and speaking. As a parent, I can reflect that the community of parents is also warm, lively, interesting, and a lot of fun.

Posted March 4, 2010

As the parent of a junior, I have been extraordinarily pleased with Atlanta Girls' School. The values of the school are on academic risk-taking, not risk-taking in negative ways. Having money, clothes or a high-flying social life is not what is valued. Students are down-to-earth and generally VERY supportive of each other. They have fabulous teachers because the best teachers usually like diversity and not having the answer to any proposal be 'but we've always done it this way!'. The sports program is superb, everyone can be an athlete. My daughter will have lots of great college options, and the best thing is that she is not spoiled like so many private school kids.

Posted February 21, 2010

As an upper school student, I really don't like it here. The middle school program seems great, but in upperschool the faculty and staff is not very upportive

Posted January 18, 2010

Atlanta Girls School is not that good.! Its a really sheletered experience for REALLY sheltered children. It is not preparing you for college or the real world uniform policies are really strict and its just a very sensitive enviorment my daughter is in the 8th grade now and she hates it. I will take her out before we continue to the high school expierience. Sixth graders love it but once you get to a certain age its over.!

Posted January 1, 2010

My daughter has been a student at AGS for three years. The middle school experience was, in general, positive. The high school experience has not been as positive. There appears to be a shift in the general philospohy of the school. The quality of teachers and experience level has declined and the extra curricular activities are not as extensive as one could find at other schools. There is diversity in the student population, but lack of diversity in thought or ideas. I would suggest that any parent proceed cautiously before making the financial investment in this school.

Posted April 3, 2009

This is my first year at AGS and it is the best choice I have ever made!!! I have become way more confident and answer in class alot more. The extra curricular activities are great and the teachers are wonderful and very helpful. Plus we get to have laptops and now in the 8th grade we get to have I pod touches. Hands down this is an awsome school.

Posted March 2, 2009

AGS is a great school. It has allowed my daughter to be a big fish in a small pond as opposed to a small fish in a big pond. She is very active as a chorus member; basketball player; softball player; student ambassador; tech club member and the list goes on and on. She is only in 8th grade! WOW! Their technology program is outstanding. As with all private schools, tuition can be a bit challenging, but AGS does offer financial aid to MOST qualified applicants. Join us! It's the best!

Posted February 22, 2009

AGS is an awsome school! there are alot of sports and you have laptops how awsome is that! who cares if there are boys it is a girl shool it is the best school you will ever go to! :-)

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Gardening teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • All girls

• Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Media arts

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer time after school